Slow pitch co-rec perfect game

dan

Manager
BRAG ALERT!

I've been a softball pitcher for over 40 years, and last Thursday night I pitched my first-ever perfect game.

Granted, it was co-rec and the team we played wasn't the greatest. But they did win their game the week before. (This is the second week of fallball.)
And we won in 4 innings (15-run rule), so I pitched to just 12 batters. Certainly not the 27 that Don Larsen mowed down in the '56 World Series.

Most of their guys hit well, they just hit the ball right at our players. A couple of our players made unbelievable catches that saved the day.

The park district guy let me keep the game ball, and it will go on our mantle.

Thank you for letting me toot my horn!

TheKid33

Star Player
That’s awesome. Good stuff man.

I once was on the wrong side of a no hitter. 4 innings.. not one hit.. I took a base on balls and a teammate reached on error. Men’s league.. EMBARASSING! 2017 was a bad year for my team lol.

blakcherry329

Well, I DO throw a mean knuckleball.

The last three outs, by the way, were grounders right back to me.

And even more weird: Two of our best males were out, and the subs we used were 74 and 69 years old (and I'm 75). This, against a team of twenty-somethings.
Knuckleballs are the bread and butter of slow pitch(and modified, for that matter). ;)

Normy

Wish you lived closer and could give a hands on knuckleball tutorial. Mine is mean like 1 out of 5 on a good day. Had a coed game last night and tossed a knuckler to one of the big hitters. It came out low and outside which isn't what i was looking for. Roped it hard up the middle and just got my glove up before blowing up my left shoulder. Phew! Ended up winning by 1 which are the games I like.

Congrats on your no no. Better than a hole in one or bowling a 300 game in my humble opinion.

blakcherry329

Work on it in BP to form that muscle memory. You need a delivery that controlable and repeatable. (yeah, I know I made up a word).
I keep saying I'm going to make a video, but I'm so damn lazy(plus I lost my camera at a game. smh).
I'll post one before the end of the year, dammit. ;)

blakcherry329

I have 3 that really stand out in my "career"
1. back in about 1995 or so(yeah, I'm really old). I threw a 3 hit shutout my modified league with Walking Pneumonia. I was sweating like crazy and my heart was pounding out of my chest. lol Went to the ER after the game. That's when I got the diagnosis. lol

2. In 2009 or so, I took a No hitter into the 6th inning in a Dominican Modified league. Very good league. Solid line drive to left. Won 5-1.

3. In 2013 or 14, threw a 5 inning shutout, 14-0, in the NJ State E slow pitch tournament in the 4th round. That team beat us in an earlier tournament by 10, so it was a legitimate team. Wind was blowing straight out like 20-25 mph. Perfect conditions for a knuckleball. We ended up taking 2nd because we lost our first game and had to get to the finals from the loser's bracket. ran out of gas. lol

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw the girls high and inside and they usually foul off the second strike..I caught a guy who threw 2 no hitters but that was unlimited high arc...the knuckler is a ***** for alot of rec guys..and myself!
My father pitched unlimited arc in the 70’s and I’m glad that wasn’t around when I started playing in the 80’s. I could see a no-hitter in unlimited but not in average 6-12 play.

blakcherry329

I subbed a few times for an unlimited arc team. Pitching it wasn't too difficult. Hitting was another thing altogether.
I swore I'd never play unlimited again. that was about 15years ago. you can keep that.:mad:

dan

Manager
Wish you lived closer and could give a hands on knuckleball tutorial. Mine is mean like 1 out of 5 on a good day. Had a coed game last night and tossed a knuckler to one of the big hitters. It came out low and outside which isn't what i was looking for. Roped it hard up the middle and just got my glove up before blowing up my left shoulder. Phew! Ended up winning by 1 which are the games I like.

Congrats on your no no. Better than a hole in one or bowling a 300 game in my humble opinion.
Sorry it took me 10 months to get back to you on this. I just now saw your note!
I pitch the knuckler swinging my arm from the shoulder only. Pretend your whole arm is in a cast, and you can't bend your elbow or your wrist. You swing your whole arm from the shoulder, wrist locked, and you PUSH the ball toward the plate rather than flip it. Start by doing this with 10-foot pitches, then gradually increase the distance.
I learned this motion when I pitched horseshoes.
I like to say that softball pitching is pretty much like pitching horseshoes, except that the horseshoe isn't coming back at you at a hundred miles an hour.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
This is quite a feat. We held the garbage last place team to 2 runs this season and I thought that was awesome. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever even been a part of either side of a shutout, let alone a no hitter. Congrats. Hopefully you kept the game ball and its on the mantle somewhere.

OG_WhenPigsFly

All Pigs Run
Just got really close to a shut out last Monday against a fairly decent rec coed team. They ended up scoring 2 in the 7th inning. I heard them from their dugout act like they won the World Series when they scored that first run.

A perfect game must of felt sweet.

blakcherry329

Not a perfect game, but in my Sunday modified league yesterday, I pitched a 5 hit shut out for 7 innings. Lost in the 8th on 3 unearned runs, 3-1. We put a runner on 2nd for extras. smh. The team is above us in the standings, so it wasn't against scrub competition. Clinchers are fun to pitch. :cool:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Nothing wrong with any of it...................I dominated E Rec Coed Church Major for at least two decades. "Seventh Day Slammers" were my warriors.