So do you prefer facing 5 man infield or not? ....dont be shy come on in.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
I'm betting most of ya prefer facing 5 man....who wouldn't want larger gaps in the outfield :cool: ....I could see you wouldn't if your laser shot is often described as a wet noodle :moon:

ATL Rookie

Manager
Even though I have been ripped by a 5 man more than once, I like them. Lots of room in the OF and I typically hit RC.

jesseb

E Ball Hero
Im a singles hitter . Hit the 3-4 hole and the 5-6 almost every time. Id rather hit against a 4 man every day

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I've actually hit grounders through 5-man upper level teams. As long as you hit the ball hard, it doesn't matter how many people are filling which holes, just don't cheat yourself and mis-hit the ball. 5-man infields make me nervous but focused at the same time. I know I have to really drive the ball because if not, you have a fast outfield that will get to lazy pop ups or an infield that you're almost hitting at all the time unless you can hit it hard enough to get it through before they have time to get to the ball.

SandyWH

#Delicious
definitely prefer hitting against a 5-Man. As a pitcher I rather plying with a 5-Man. Reduces errors coming in from outfield, increases double plays, and keeps teams from targeting middle on every swing.

stillballin

The Veteran
I would say my team is pretty good with a 5 man infield as long as the pitcher is pitching well.. If the other team seems to be hitting his knuckles and inside pitches, we move to 4 outfielders.. so it all depends on the pitcher.. got to have quick outfielders though either way..

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I prefer hitting against a 5 man, I think it makes it a lot easier for a good hitter. Also a 4 man ends up causing me to hit middle which I will do but would prefer not to.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends on who the outfielders are. My teams outfielders are lightening fast with cannons. So the holes aren't so big.
I place hit a lot so it doesn't really matter much to me. I hit where they aren't.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
normally I prefer hitting against a 5man infield than a 4man outfield. but it does take a bit of 'mental strength' to ignore the fact there are almost no holes in the infield.

I suspect fewer teams can play 5man effectively. that's why it seems like the 5th infielder is just a 'decoy' that never ends up making a play anyway.

I prefer hitting into a 5-man. The smaller infield holes help me concentrate on where I'm hitting the ball. The lines are also a lot more open. There's not much more frustrating that hitting a line drive down the line and having a outfielder (in a 4-man) catch it.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
In our Senior leagues we play 11 fielders so we are always facing a 5 man infield.

If the MF plays around 2B then I love as I am a line drive hitter so I shoot that RCF gap all day long in tournaments.

If the MF plays as a rover I don't hit as well as you have to hit away from where he is playing and I am not that good a place hitter now. A couple of years ago I didn't care where he played.

brennen15

Addicted to Softballfans
Either way but prefer traditional defense. I like the 5-6 hole and the occasional just to the side of the pitcher

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Doesn't matter to me either way. I do like hitting oppo against a 5 man, watching them shift over, then pull one through the left side. Other than that I have no preference.

SoftballBomber9

Addicted to Softballfans
Faced both yesterday during a tourney. A 5 man infield, and regular 4 outfield and be honest id rather hit 5 man and expose those gaps and just hit it hard. But like another softball bro said as long as you hit it hard it will find space some where.

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
I like hitting against a 5 man. I just go to the weak side of the infield and there is more green too. I push oppo unless they play me to push, then I will pull. Against 4 man I look to push or go up the middle depending where I am pitched. Prefer 5 man to hit against.

Rdd/Easton 10

The Veteran
lol at I like to play against a 5 man infield over 4. Its a lot easier to hit a ball by the pitcher with no man wandering behind him...u can literally chop balls through either hole 5-6 or 3-4. It is a lot easier making an out trying hit a gap all the time in lc or Rc against a 5 man. There is a reason that every conference team plays 5 infielders...

ATL Rookie

Manager
lol at I like to play against a 5 man infield over 4. Its a lot easier to hit a ball by the pitcher with no man wandering behind him...u can literally chop balls through either hole 5-6 or 3-4. It is a lot easier making an out trying hit a gap all the time in lc or Rc against a 5 man. There is a reason that every conference team plays 5 infielders...

They play it because of easy dp's on ground balls and the added upside of protecting the pitcher. With hr limits in play and the hitting ability of most conference players, they tend to hit a lot of ground balls and low line drives which have fewer holes to get through with a 5 man.

There is absolutely no doubt that a 3 man OF allows a lot of hits that would be pretty much routine outs with a 4 man.

huzzdog

retired

Correct answer here. Far easier to get hits against 4 outfielders and it's not even close