Other Softball do over!!!!

USMC_Staps

Addicted to Softballfans

Last weekend we had runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Batter hit a line drive to right field and the fielder laid out to try to catch it. He initially caught the ball but when we hit the ground the ball came out. The runners did not know if he caught it or not so both went back to tag and then the umpire called time. The fielder threw the ball to 2nd base to get one of our guys out. When the umpire called time everyone just knew something was going to happen due to the look on his face. He didnt know whether to call the batter out or the runner out at 2nd. We knew either way someone had to be out...........Umpire says, "Dead ball, runners advance to next bag!!" So he said everyone was safe!! We didnt know what happened but the other team lost their minds, as would I if I was on the defense. The tournament director came on the field to discuss with his umpire of the situation. After about a 4-5 mins discussion the tournament director yells out "DO OVER!!!!" The entire complex stopped talking when this was said. So, we had to do the play all over, well our batter ended up hitting a 3 run home run and that was that. Just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of a DO OVER!! I know I never have and probably never will.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Last weekend we had runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Batter hit a line drive to right field and the fielder laid out to try to catch it. He initially caught the ball but when we hit the ground the ball came out. The runners did not know if he caught it or not so both went back to tag and then the umpire called time. The fielder threw the ball to 2nd base to get one of our guys out. When the umpire called time everyone just knew something was going to happen due to the look on his face. He didnt know whether to call the batter out or the runner out at 2nd. We knew either way someone had to be out...........Umpire says, "Dead ball, runners advance to next bag!!" So he said everyone was safe!! We didnt know what happened but the other team lost their minds, as would I if I was on the defense. The tournament director came on the field to discuss with his umpire of the situation. After about a 4-5 mins discussion the tournament director yells out "DO OVER!!!!" The entire complex stopped talking when this was said. So, we had to do the play all over, well our batter ended up hitting a 3 run home run and that was that. Just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of a DO OVER!! I know I never have and probably never will.

What rules set? Did the umpire give a reason for his initial ruling?

Assuming he ruled everyone safe, I would have to assume that he realized he screwed up by calling "TIME" and understood how he placed the runners in jeopardy.

Since it was obvious there was no catch, the BR is ruled safe and he has to put the other runners some place. Yes, the umpire screwed up and took the correct actions to rectify the situation. The TD should not have had any input in this matter.

A "do over" may soften the voices in the TDs ear, but it is without a doubt an inappropriate response.

davidhasselmash

Addicted to Softballfans
u have got to be kidding me?! thats redonkulous! but yet so funny! some umps dont belong umping in all honesty, get these crap umps off the field. funny story though

Man of Steele

Addicted to Softballfans

I guess it never ends around here. Always something to laugh at.

davidhasselmash

Addicted to Softballfans
an ump at a tourney last weekend appproved an mv-3, i asked him how he could approve a usssa bat for asa and his reply was that the team said that this was the asa version of the mv-3. clearly there were no asa stamps on this bat, but seriously how bad are some of these umps these days? softball is pretty serious these days and always has been why cant we get rid of these crap umps

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
The Denver city leagues have the worst umpires in our area. It was USSSA rules until this year (now it is NSA) but I saw in last year alone these calls:

1) I was batting and a pitch came in low and flat and hit about a foot in front of the plate and bounced to the catcher. The ump called it a strike and I said "Doesn't it have to cross the plate?" and he replied " It did on the bounce".
2) A batter hit a fly ball down the left field line that was very close to the line with two outs and the bases loaded and the ump yelled "Foul ball". Everyone stopped for just a half second and then he yelled "I meant fair ball. Fair ball play on!"
3) Infield fly rule called with only a runner on first base on a ball that was a looper just over the pitcher's head. All the players acted as if it were live despite the umpire yelling infield fly. The runner on first made it to second when the ball took a funny hop. The umpire said he had to go back to first since it was an infield fly and that the batter was out.
4) Coed league with the coed arc line. A woman hits the ball in a line drive to near the coed arc with runners on first and second. The umpire yells Infield Fly, but the runners advance as it falls and hits the ground. The left fielder fields it on one hop and throws to third but too late to get the runners. The umpire yells that both runners are out for not tagging up on an infield fly for a triple play despite the defense not even appealing or catching the ball. The umpire says he thought the left fielder had a routine catch on it which is why he called the infield fly.
5) Infield fly rule called with runners on only second and third.
6) Fly ball to the outfield where the fielder dives and just misses the ball. It bounces past him and the umpire yells "dead ball -- he missed the catch!"
7) Runner on third and batter hits a sac fly. Runner tags and races home. The throw arrives close and the runner slides. The catcher is standing on the plate, but the throw is high and he has to reach up and snags it. The umpire yells 'out' and the other team goes ballistic but the umpire says the catcher was still touching the plate (and no, this is not a league that you get an automatic force play at any base or home).
8) And lastly, to match yours. The batter hits a line drive ball down the line that clears the fence. The umpire says he couldn't tell if it was fair or foul so he said it does not count as a pitch and the count remains the same.

The umpires in the other nearby suburb leagues have much better umpires, and the Denver city leagues have gotten better this year once they switched to a new umpiring organization. The USSSA ones were there for several years and were this bad every single year. One year I walked past the port-a-toilet and smelled some MJ. Just then it opened and an ump walked out and headed to the fields.

It takes a lot of the fun out of the game knowing that such random decisions in a game are pretty much inevitable. Having good umpires makes a huge difference in having a fun evening at the fields and I always make sure to tell the good umps that hustle and know the rules that we appreciate their efforts.

Last edited:

Joker

the umps in denver are much better now. this year all but one of the umps there does a really good job. somehow he came over with the new NSA guys.

last year we had an ump in denver that was really old and really had no clue. runners on 1st and 2nd guy hits a shallow fly ball to CF, the runners take off and our guy comes in and makes a diving catch. runner on 1st had come around 2nd and after the catch he runs right back to 1st, doesn't retouch 2nd. the runners got back since the OF tumbled around after the catch. i tell the ump he didn't touch 2nd on the way back and appeal it. ump kinda rambles on about something about not having too, our whole team is trying to explain it to him. finally he calls the runner out.

later in the game guy pops one up foul and the ball hits the catchers glove while he was in foul ground and it rolled fair. catcher picks it up and throws to 1st and the ump calls the guy out. we're all telling the ump its a foul ball because he touched it foul. again he kinda mumbles something that makes no sense and finally says "i gave you guys one earlier now i'm giving them one, its even now"

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
the umps in denver are much better now. this year all but one of the umps there does a really good job. somehow he came over with the new NSA guys.

Completely agree. I have only had one major issue this year. The umpires were calling the strike zone as 3-10 feet arc. Not even 3 feet from release, but three feet. I said that it has to be 6-10 feet arc and the ump pointed to his hat and said "What does that say? NSA. I know more than you do". Other teams complained after the first week too and even the city local rulebook mentions the strike zone as 6-10 arc.

After that first week the umpiring has been fine and the umps are calling the correct strike zone.

Where do you play? I've subbed at Vanderbilt and Barnum for a team I used to play for all the time until I got driven crazy with the tough field conditions and bad umpiring. Much less stress in softball in the 'burbs for me.

Joker

Completely agree. I have only had one major issue this year. The umpires were calling the strike zone as 3-10 feet arc. Not even 3 feet from release, but three feet. I said that it has to be 6-10 feet arc and the ump pointed to his hat and said "What does that say? NSA. I know more than you do". Other teams complained after the first week too and even the city local rulebook mentions the strike zone as 6-10 arc.

After that first week the umpiring has been fine and the umps are calling the correct strike zone.

Where do you play? I've subbed at Vanderbilt and Barnum for a team I used to play for all the time until I got driven crazy with the tough field conditions and bad umpiring. Much less stress in softball in the 'burbs for me.

we're at vanderbilt but played over at barnum one week. barum is just way too small, 255' all the way around and only 1 HR. just ridiculous.

we had umps calling 3-10' last year when it was USSSA. tried to explain it to them, but they wouldn't get it. this year the first couple weeks they had guys being trained at our games. the trainers would be there in the field umping the first 2 games helping out with calls, then they would stand to the side and let the trainee run the game the 2nd two games. then trainers would walk over to us and ask what the trainees were doing that needed to be worked on. the NSA group has been doing a real good job this year

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
we're at vanderbilt but played over at barnum one week. barum is just way too small, 255' all the way around and only 1 HR. just ridiculous.

Yes, it is funny when people hit one out 260 feet and do the bawhoop stuff.

The team I sub in for has been playing for 30+ years and have most of the team in their sixties (plus their kids). The short fields seem to favor them since they don't hit it out anyway and the other teams end up with dead ball outs.

Vanderbilt has better distances, but that chain link monster in left field is pretty short too. And the other field has the right field that goes downhill at a pretty good grade.

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
You 2 don't get to Aurora much....do you?

I played at Olympic Park a long, long time ago. I haven't been to Aurora in years.

But the quotes you listed were for Denver city fields only. Aurora isn't Denver. :)

Are the Aurora umps worse than the stories I listed from last year?

USMC_Staps

Addicted to Softballfans
too funny

an ump at a tourney last weekend appproved an mv-3, i asked him how he could approve a usssa bat for asa and his reply was that the team said that this was the asa version of the mv-3. clearly there were no asa stamps on this bat, but seriously how bad are some of these umps these days? softball is pretty serious these days and always has been why cant we get rid of these crap umps

Wow, I need to look into this ASA version of the MV-3!!! They should make the umpires pay 500.00 to take these umpiring classes to become one. That will rule out the retards!! IMO.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow, I need to look into this ASA version of the MV-3!!! They should make the umpires pay 500.00 to take these umpiring classes to become one. That will rule out the retards!! IMO.

No problem, as long as the player have to take an equivalent test for $500. Then they would have to stop using the short bus.