Softball Playoffs

IrishRich

Addicted to Softballfans
So there are 8 teams in our division. The first round

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

the second round was not set yet, as it should not.

Results of the first round

1w
2w
6w
4w

How should this be seeded in the 2nd round?

I think

1v6
2v4

right?

The town here seeded it

1v4 and 2v6 claiming they "don't re-seed". What sense does that make at all? Nothing was set ahead of time (like brackets, then possibly it would make sense, but still, this is a rec league).

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
So the most standard playoff format in the history of sports vs. the completely moronic concept of "re-seeding"....there is truly no debate amongst the two.

LC77

Manager
Assuming you are 4, why does it matter? You have to beat the best to be the champions. If you beat them in the 2nd round, you won't have to double dip in the ship. Plus, like you said, it's rec league.

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
So there are 8 teams in our division. The first round

1v8
2v7
3v6
4v5

the second round was not set yet, as it should not.

Results of the first round

1w
2w
6w
4w

How should this be seeded in the 2nd round?

I think

1v6
2v4

right?

The town here seeded it

1v4 and 2v6 claiming they "don't re-seed". What sense does that make at all? Nothing was set ahead of time (like brackets, then possibly it would make sense, but still, this is a rec league).

So March Madness doesn't make any sense at all to you?

TheJackal666

Silence....I keel you
TD was correct...
8-team-single-seeded.jpg

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
The standard is to not re-seed, though count me as one of the people in favor of it. It makes the regular season that much more important.

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
I also would have seeded it the way they did, but like others have said, just win your games and forget about it.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
"Just as you plant this seed in the ground, so I will also plant my seed in you." -D. Schrute

IrishRich

Addicted to Softballfans
Meh, we were the top ranked team and won pretty easily. My original statement was, which may have been missed on almost all of you, there was NO SEEDING publisized ahead of time. If there were brackets (like I had said IF there were), then it would make sense. But there were no brackets, no other scheduled games. They announced the matchups after the games were over and done with.

Again, for clarification, there was no seeding prior to the start of playoffs, only the first round games scheduled.

It did not matter, regardless, and I wasn't complaining about who we were playing.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
If you were the top seed, then you're going to have to beat the second best team eventually. Plus it's softball, it's not like matchups come into play.

IrishRich

Addicted to Softballfans
If you were the top seed, then you're going to have to beat the second best team eventually. Plus it's softball, it's not like matchups come into play.

The second team actually lost the game, we played #6 in the finals and destroyed them. That wasn't my point anyways. I was just pointing out that since nothing was scheduled ahead of time, it would not be re-seeding. It would just be seeding according to what place the teams are in.

We were 10-0 because our coach wanted to sandbag (against my pleas not to!), so regardless who we played, we were going to win.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Even though they didn't make it known to you, they apparently had a bracket that used the original seeds.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even though they didn't make it known to you, they apparently had a bracket that used the original seeds.

Yes. Just because they don't show you a bracket or a schedule doesn't mean there isn't one. Assumptions aren't fact.

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
my weekend playoff tourny is happening nowish. We were top seed (out of 7) and we played 6th place last night, 7th this morning (1 hour away), and 2 and 3 this afternoon. It was my opinion we should have played 4/5/6/7 because that's how it usually goes but it really doesn't matter that much. If we play like junk, we'll lose, if we play well, we'll win.

However I'm used to the leagues and tournys around here being RR then single elim, this one is "only top 4 make Sunday" instead of all 7 making it and then you do elim games. We were also the only team with only one game last night and the only team that has to travel to an awful "last minute oopsies I screwed up so I have to rent crappy parks" park twice. I posted about having a crap schedule last week and this week we get 1 days notice that our sched is changing because the LD screwed up and didn't get the parks he thought he did for the tourny. So instead of playing at bad times, we're playing on a bad diamond for two games.

Seriously, open field - which sucks but isn't the worst thing in the world, t-ball diamond, light standard in the middle of CF - because little kids don't hit that far, and it's basically just a soccer field with a gravel patch near a fence.