Some Sloppy BP

xCurtis

Tank
Here is some of the BP session that took place tonight. It was at the end of the session, so my swing got a bit sloppy and I was pretty well swinging at everything good or bad. Feel free to pick the swing apart and give some advice.

super grey dots, field is 300' down the lines. 68 degrees out no significant winds

[ame]http://youtu.be/81LD5Y6HDAA[/ame]

also safety note, pitching screens are probably a good investment. pitcher took one to the calf tonight.

Last edited:

xCurtis

Tank
Added a link but for the life of me cannot figure out how to embed. I left the embed code YouTube gives you to show that i tried.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Looks like your hips are opening up too early and you are just using your arms to hit. I wish I could slow it down somehow to be sure that is what I am seeing.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
The most fundamental and important thing you are doing wrong is that your head is moving all over the place. The body rotates around a calm head and the head should be tilting towards the ball. As long as your head is jerking all over the place, you will never hit with consistency. Get consistent first, then worry about power later.

I just pulled this vid quickly off of youtube. Watch the heads of these batters and compare their head movement to yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

xCurtis

Tank
I'm not sure I'm following the head movement part. As far as I can tell my head stays calm for he most part until the swing is pretty well complete. I will take your advise into next bp though. Thank you.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Think what LngBallLvr is saying is to continue to keep your head down, don't be concerned about watching the ball in flight. Your swing is very "herky jerky". Keep your hands up and back (and still), stepping into the ball (not towards 3rd) will help keep your swing compact and not from opening up too early.

xCurtis

Tank
Ok that makes sense. I noticed my foot going towards third near the end of BP. Seems to be something i tend to do when I start get tired. I will attempt another bp in the up coming days, see if can correct this. Maybe take a video before I'm beat. Thank you for the advice.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure I'm following the head movement part. As far as I can tell my head stays calm for he most part until the swing is pretty well complete. I will take your advise into next bp though. Thank you.

Your head and entire body pulls away from the ball and towards left field. Your head (and body) is bailing towards left field sometimes during your swing.

This guys swing is somewhat inconsistent but at 1:22 in the vid he shows a picture perfect swing. That is what it looks like when done right. Compare his body and head movement to yours at contact. Only one inch difference in the head position at contact makes a HUGE difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

xCurtis

Tank
Your head and entire body pulls away from the ball and towards left field. Your head (and body) is bailing towards left field sometimes during your swing.

This guys swing is somewhat inconsistent but at 1:22 in the vid he shows a picture perfect swing. That is what it looks like when done right. Compare his body and head movement to yours at contact. Only one inch difference in the head position at contact makes a HUGE difference.

Duly noted, I will be taking your advice, as well as the others into the next BP session. Video will follow.

Prrebel

Addicted to Softballfans
BP should be about quality, not quantity. BP is the time to work on mechanics and not neccessarly to hit as many balls as possible. Hit 20 balls, take a break and let the other guy hit 20. You will gain a lot more from 5, 20 ball sessions, then trying to hit 100 in one session. You see what happens to mechanics when you get tired... they go out the window.

DUNNY51

Addicted to Softballfans
Your best swing was one u almost killed your buddy, not because it was a line drive but bc it was an outside pitch and stepped toward pitcher instead of toward 3rd

yanki01

Star Player
yea good stuff and i like the instruction video posted. i needed some help on my hitting. I'm still hitting like i was hitting baseballs in high school. i have no power in softball because of it. i need to get a tee and a net. seasons over and i'm waiting for my lizard skin grips to come in the mail along with a softball mallet to get my bats more broken in. i have no power so i don't think they're much broken in.

xCurtis

Tank
Yes some very good advice. I believe that Prrebel is right,some of the sloppiness come from trying to force the last at bat. I was tired and my form went out the window. That or I was trying to over compensate. I rarely pull the ball to left, more of a center field hitter. Haven't had a chance to put any of their advice to work yet. Hopefully this weekend I can find the time to get a couple swings in.

What is your guys opinion on the final swing?

Last edited:

tap2284

What is your guys opinion on the final swing?

Lots of arms..... you fire your hips to early. You made good contact and had to pose on it cause you actually hit one pretty good.

Biggest tip I can give you........ Get a screen for the pitcher. Then you can really work on things in BP instead of trying to stay out of the middle.

xCurtis

Tank
You noticed the pose eh? (Canadian cliche). Last one was probably close to 330 if I had to guess.
But for sure, some sort of screen will most definitely purchased in the next coming weeks, a few too many close calls.

Thanks for the input

tap2284

No need to pose in BP.... save that for the games and make sure you say you missed it when you only hit it 330. That way people know you are a beast!

xCurtis

Tank
Oh my bad..... What I meant to say was 330 yards.

Is that better tap? Will they look up to me as a god? Lol

tap2284

Well with that swing, they'll probably accuse you of swinging a dirty bat cause there's no way you should hit homeruns. :)