SP 125 or Rawlings 12.5 patterns?

So I originally came here looking for reviews on 44 Pro, and reading all of you guys has shifted me to the Rawlings/Wilson (I like Rawlings better, but I’m not married to it)thus the name of this thread.

I go traditional, close my gloves thumb to middle/ring, never pinky, and have long skinny fingers with a tiny wrist. Play mostly mid inf but also sub in at 3b sometimes.

Locked at home I’ve read a lot of very informative posts the past few days, but my head is spinning a little bit, so I started this thread so you guys can confirm my impressions and give me a recommendation.

At first an NP7 sounded like the perfect glove for me, but I’ve been gaming a 12.5 for the past couple of years and am really hesitant to give up the .25”. So my three finalists are:

302 or 208, with the 302 Being more snug fitting??so might fit me better, and the 208 being wider, more conducive to TIP and closing thumb to pinkie??(not my type of glove).

And finally the SP125, which based on what I’ve read and video I watched, sounds like it was made exactly to what I’m looking for?

so tell me, did I process all your great info correctly? Or is my understanding wrong? Thanks!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
You cannot go wrong with an SP125 or a 208. The 302 will fit a bit tighter, but that is partly because it is narrow. It is also more of a longer outfield glove while the SP125 and 208 are all more infield designs. All that being said, I have done web swaps for guys on both the SP125 and the 302 to a wider web. Wilson really should have added 0.5" to the width of the web on the SP125. The one I redid was really something once that extra width was added. The 208 has a similar issue, but the Rawlings H-web is a bit wider than the SP125 web so not as big of a deal.

Reactions: mpk

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
302 or SP125. I have owned both and prefer the way the SP125 forms and fits more. I did switch from the SP125 to the all horween NP7. It is my preference but I would not recommend it for you. The NP7 and SP125 play appx the same size. That being said the NP7 wants to naturally close thumb to index/middle finger. Which is what I wanted and why I made the switch. The SP125 closes more thumb to middle finger/ring finger which sounds to be more up your alley.

Thank you all for the expert opinion. I am leaning towards the SP125 indeed, but one last thing I forgot to mention, I break in all my gloves single hinge, is the SP125 good for this? How about the 208? From the other thread active now I can tell the NP7 is perfect for single hinge break in...

SP125. If you’re heart’s 80% already there, just go with it. You’ll be disappointed if you don’t.

@Committed might have an extra you can grab.

Thanks! but I have to wait towards year’s end so that I can sell the wife on it being bday/xmas gift. Also, I’m looking at either a custom or the Demarini (Miami Vice) GOTM, as these happen to be my team colors.

302 or SP125. I have owned both and prefer the way the SP125 forms and fits more. I did switch from the SP125 to the all horween NP7. It is my preference but I would not recommend it for you. The NP7 and SP125 play appx the same size. That being said the NP7 wants to naturally close thumb to index/middle finger. Which is what I wanted and why I made the switch. The SP125 closes more thumb to middle finger/ring finger which sounds to be more up your alley.

You know, I just pulled out my two gloves and realized that I close them more thumb to middle than ring, so I guess the NP7 is back in play. My only concern there would he size, but you guys keep saying it plays like a 12.5 sooooo

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i think most of the NP patterns run larger than their stamps. i know the NP5 i have is bigger than the 11.75 it says

bigjbowski16

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you all for the expert opinion. I am leaning towards the SP125 indeed, but one last thing I forgot to mention, I break in all my gloves single hinge, is the SP125 good for this? How about the 208? From the other thread active now I can tell the NP7 is perfect for single hinge break in...
sp125 is very good for single hinge. Part of the reason I chose to part with mine.

tbarb

I've used most of the gloves you mention with the exception of the NP7 to find one I liked when I started playing again, except for the NP7 a few years ago. My 208 was a custom and I had asked that it be very stiff. I don't know if they took this to heart or if they are all made alike anyway; but the glove was extremely stiff and after that season I ended up passing it to someone else. Hours and hours +++ of beating on it and catching balls and it was still too stiff for my comfort. (I like a stiff thumb and pinky, but the middle/pocket never broke in to my satisfaction.) If it had broken in better I would probably be using it today. What I did like better was the Rawlings 3039 H web I replaced it with. The pocket seemed a slight bigger and the 12.75 length was no issue - actually came to think of it as a plus even at 2nd with softball.

After trying several gloves the 3039 became more the go to gamer, but I use them both. The SP125 does play a bit smaller, but it doesn't bother me and I don't really think about it at SS or 2nd. If I was to go out to the outfield to fill in I would definitely take the 3039.

As far as the hinges I ended up doing a double hinge on each which probably helped my tip and thumb to pinky reference. I didn't have any problem breaking in the SP125 or the 3039 or the 208 to thumb to pinky with TIP as far as that goes. I think I could have done either thumb to ring finger or pinky just as easily, so I would not anticipate you would have a problem there with either glove. I utilize a bench vice however to help form the hinges, otherwise just a ball glued to a small hatchet handle and some catch.

Good luck....

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
Single hinge, get the SP125.. or amend your Rawlings options to include the 504. I also break in single hinge and these are my fav patterns bar none.

Thank you guys for all the expert opinion, I think I’m still leaning towards the SP125.... but dumb question here, why doesnt Wilson offer a finger pad option?

MaverickAH

I'm not sure as to why Wilson doesn't offer a finger pad option. I wouldn't matter to me anyway as I don't use my glove with finger out unless I have a bone bruise. I wear my glove traditional.

Since you have plenty of time before you pull the trigger, I do want to urge you to think out of the box, especially when it comes to breaking in your new glove. I'm a bit of a heretic when it comes to glove break-in. I don't believe in creating break points in the traditional sense. Creating a traditional break point(s) shortens the useful life of a glove, IMHO. I eschew break points to forming my glove to work more closely to the way my hand works. In addition to forming a pocket, I work on developing flexibility in the heel, the crotch (the area in-between the thumb & the index finger) & the top of the web. I'm also more in the Ozzie Smith camp when it come to break in which means minimal. I figure that a softball is ~4" in diameter. I only need my glove to close to about 3" or so in order to hold onto the ball. I also want my gloves to maintain a natural open position when not in the process of catching a ball. I don't want to have to open my glove to then again close it. It already open & I want the closing to be a reflexive response to the contact of the ball. I want my glove to act as a natural extension of my hand & operate in a fashion that closely as possible resembles the act of catching a ball barehanded.

Additionally, I also spend time shaping my gloves & also breaking in the laces along the top of the fingers. I particularly spend time breaking in any lacing running between the web & the index finger as this is the area where I want the glove to "close". I always keep a ball in the pocket when the glove is not in use. (Even between innings!)

The end result is a glove that never completely closes & never lays flat. I'd venture to say that doing it this way doubles the effective life of a glove by causing less stress to the actual leather.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Okay.......we'll word it your way!
Too big a gap between NP6 and NP7 (seems like they should've stamped the NP7 as NP8). But regardless, it's an awesome pattern (especially fot slowpitch). OP can't go wrong with either the NP7 or SP125 (unless he has tiny hands then I would suggest the SP125).

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I may have missed it but availability is going to be an issue at this time (you can track these down but only the Horween NP7 is readily available to ship along with a sweet forum price). If OP is planning on doing a custom, you're looking at a 12 week wait with this pandemic (Rawlings factory is in a country with full lockdown and is currently shutdown). So go ahead and order a custom but if you are really itching to break something in (and the financial stability to do so), I'd suggest PM'ing @milocoman and order the Horween NP7. Like Mav said, you'll have plenty of time to shape your glove how you want (while you wait).

Too big a gap between NP6 and NP7 (seems like they should've stamped the NP7 as NP8). But regardless, it's an awesome pattern (especially fot slowpitch). OP can't go wrong with either the NP7 or SP125 (unless he has tiny hands then I would suggest the SP125).
You guys are not making my decision any easier lol. Regarding the “tiny hands”, I do have a tiny wrist, and long fingers, would that be a problem on an NP7?

I may have missed it but availability is going to be an issue at this time (you can track these down but only the Horween NP7 is readily available to ship along with a sweet forum price). If OP is planning on doing a custom, you're looking at a 12 week wait with this pandemic (Rawlings factory is in a country with full lockdown and is currently shutdown). So go ahead and order a custom but if you are really itching to break something in (and the financial stability to do so), I'd suggest PM'ing @milocoman and order the Horween NP7. Like Mav said, you'll have plenty of time to shape your glove how you want (while you wait).
Yeah, I’m looking at a custom, however, even though we have not been impacted as of now, the possibility of a furlough/layoff looms, specially for my wife. So I cant really justify spending $300 right now on a glove I wont receive for another three months, I’m thinking about ordering towards the end of the year after things go back to normal.

mv_mkv

Yeah, I’m looking at a custom, however, even though we have not been impacted as of now, the possibility of a furlough/layoff looms, specially for my wife. So I cant really justify spending $300 right now on a glove I wont receive for another three months, I’m thinking about ordering towards the end of the year after things go back to normal.
I got a used sp125 I would be willing to sell of you're interested. Just pm me if you want more info

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
You guys are not making my decision any easier lol. Regarding the “tiny hands”, I do have a tiny wrist, and long fingers, would that be a problem on an NP7?
The SP125 was specified to have tighter finger stalls (long story), but if it's just a wrist thing, you can just tighten the wrist lap a notch or go Pedroia wrist.