splitting a team into two teams

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
we have a co-ed team that's pretty much entirely made up of couples or friends or friends-of-friends. word has spread and now we're overloaded with people that want to play. we've been talking about splitting the existing team and forming 2 separate teams to make room for new players, but already problems are popping up (couples obviously want to play on same team and certain people want to play on certain other people's team).

anyone ever tried this before? any ideas or suggestions?

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Ya it happened when I first started playing, had a decent coed team and started getting better, moving up in divisions. We added new better players. It can kinda suck right after the split but it will be ok. I know everyone that Ive played with has been able to find other teams. I know your question was certain people want to play with certain people. How I look at it is whoever is in charge start picking who you want and tell your buddies that this is who I am taking and you can have the rest. It may sound like a jerk move but even though its coed you still dont want to go out there knowing your gonna get worked.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
we have a co-ed team that's pretty much entirely made up of couples or friends or friends-of-friends. word has spread and now we're overloaded with people that want to play. we've been talking about splitting the existing team and forming 2 separate teams to make room for new players, but already problems are popping up (couples obviously want to play on same team and certain people want to play on certain other people's team).

anyone ever tried this before? any ideas or suggestions?

Have the new people start their own team.

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
Have the new people start their own team.

we can't do this for various reasons.

Ya it happened when I first started playing, had a decent coed team and started getting better, moving up in divisions. We added new better players. It can kinda suck right after the split but it will be ok. I know everyone that Ive played with has been able to find other teams. I know your question was certain people want to play with certain people. How I look at it is whoever is in charge start picking who you want and tell your buddies that this is who I am taking and you can have the rest. It may sound like a jerk move but even though its coed you still dont want to go out there knowing your gonna get worked.

ha. i'm positive that won't work. too many people would get butthurt. i suggested a draft, but some of my teammates think others on the team won't be feeling it. we tried to split the teams evenly by relationships but one team had a clear advantage. another issue is managers. we'd need 2 people to step up and take a team and i'm not confident many people are gonna raise their hand.

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
I think if you and the other coach/manager that steps up and just you guys sit down by yourselves and talk about the team and then have a draft, I think you guys will find out that it should work. You and the other coach write it all out, people who want to stay together and people who don't care and just want to play. Then you try to go from there. Some peoples feelings might get hurt at first, but everyone wants to play and this might be the easiest thing to do.

Flash

<font color="#7AC5CD">Ice Queen</font>
we can't do this for various reasons.

ha. i'm positive that won't work. too many people would get butthurt. i suggested a draft, but some of my teammates think others on the team won't be feeling it. we tried to split the teams evenly by relationships but one team had a clear advantage. another issue is managers. we'd need 2 people to step up and take a team and i'm not confident many people are gonna raise their hand.

Then you start cutting people and have one team and one team only. Sucks for some people but oh well.

Mr. Roper

Addicted to Softballfans
Tell the new ppl to make their own team

the problem is all the interconnected friendships. some of the new people are friends of people on the current team. to tell them to go form their own team with the other new players runs the risk of making them feel excluded and them losing interest altogether. there are a lot of personalities involved. there's a lot to take into consideration.

kornphed

Addicted to Softballfans
If it's all about the winning, tell people to take a hike and make the best team you can to win. If it's about friendships....well go with that.....

msoares2123

Addicted to Softballfans
i tried this before and it didn't work. for some reason people always think the other team is the "better" team. just keep 1 team and only keep the players you want.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
the problem is all the interconnected friendships. some of the new people are friends of people on the current team. to tell them to go form their own team with the other new players runs the risk of making them feel excluded and them losing interest altogether. there are a lot of personalities involved. there's a lot to take into consideration.

Then you gotta get everybody together and figure things out. We did the same with our church team when we split into 2 teams but it was pretty much laid out these 11 are definately on the A team(better), all the new ppl are definately on the C team(new team), and the other 5 that were on the old team had their choice of which team but knew what their role would be on each when they decided