SSUSA Tourney - Pool Play

djs_1964

This is my 3rd year of playing senior tournaments. During the past 2 seasons, we've played 3 or 4 SPA tourneys and 1 SSUSA each year. Generally, all of our pool play games have been against our own division / bracket. One time we played a team from a different division and gave the 5-run equalizer. But that was due to a lack of teams in the other division.

Anyway, next weekend we're playing a SSUSA tournament where EVERYONE (except the lowest of the 6 divisions) is playing BOTH of their pool games against a division other than their own. And all of them will need the equalizer (e.g. the 50 AA is not playing 55 AAA).

This is our first year playing in this particular tournament. The director claims that's the way they do it. I can kind of see the logic in being able to play against a couple different teams who you won't see the rest of the weekend. But I can also see the potential for some very non-competitive games that are fun for neither side.

So my questions are these:
1) Have you guys seen this before and is it common (especially within SSUSA)?
2) What do you guys think of it?

Pops34

Part Time Player
Not a fan of it but if it means still being able to run the tourney then so be it - also it has no bearing on you winning your division.

SAGER25

Addicted to Softballfans
This is my 3rd year of playing senior tournaments. During the past 2 seasons, we've played 3 or 4 SPA tourneys and 1 SSUSA each year. Generally, all of our pool play games have been against our own division / bracket. One time we played a team from a different division and gave the 5-run equalizer. But that was due to a lack of teams in the other division.

Anyway, next weekend we're playing a SSUSA tournament where EVERYONE (except the lowest of the 6 divisions) is playing BOTH of their pool games against a division other than their own. And all of them will need the equalizer (e.g. the 50 AA is not playing 55 AAA).

This is our first year playing in this particular tournament. The director claims that's the way they do it. I can kind of see the logic in being able to play against a couple different teams who you won't see the rest of the weekend. But I can also see the potential for some very non-competitive games that are fun for neither side.

So my questions are these:
1) Have you guys seen this before and is it common (especially within SSUSA)?
2) What do you guys think of it?

You must be playing in Lansing this coming weekend. I will be there with Big Ten/ Warner Roofing. I've found that between giving up runs and using the lower home run limits the games are pretty competitive.

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi Dave, how ya doing? Happens all the time in SSUSA in Michigan. In 55+ AAA we have played against major+ and major and usually take the extra fielder and have won more than lost. Games have always been competitive too. Pool play are basically just warm up games anyway.

djs_1964

You must be playing in Lansing this coming weekend. I will be there with Big Ten/ Warner Roofing. I've found that between giving up runs and using the lower home run limits the games are pretty competitive.

Yep. Looks like we're (Flytime) playing you in the 2nd game. I'll be wandering somewhere in the outfield - #6.

djs_1964

Hi Dave, how ya doing? Happens all the time in SSUSA in Michigan. In 55+ AAA we have played against major+ and major and usually take the extra fielder and have won more than lost. Games have always been competitive too. Pool play are basically just warm up games anyway.

Yeah, was wondering if it was just a different philosophy within the sanction or this particular director. We're 50 AAA. One time we played a 50 AA team, but that was because there were only 2 teams in their division. So it was expected that they'd have to play up and just happened to be against us. They took the runs and beat us fairly handily.

This set-up is a bit different. 4 50 Major, 5 50 AAA, etc. And we're all playing every pool game against a different bracket. 4 of us AAA teams are playing against two major teams. The 5th AAA team is playing both games against AA teams.

I wish pool games were warm-ups for us. We tend to carry bad losses with us. Something we need to get past, but if we get smoked in both (or especially the last) pool games, our first bracket game is not gonna be pretty.

You gonna be there?

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
yes, here in AZ we have done that as well. In June we play in Flagstaff and in the past we (40s) played a 50s and a 60s team since we only have 4 in our division. It was lopsided but it was that or no 40s. don't think it will be that way this year as we have 10 teams I believe.

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
yes, here in AZ we have done that as well. In June we play in Flagstaff and in the past we (40s) played a 50s and a 60s team since we only have 4 in our division. It was lopsided but it was that or no 40s. don't think it will be that way this year as we have 10 teams I believe.

Can't believe your team lost to a 60's team!

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
one of my first times playing senior ball we were playing a 65 major+ team, and as we were shaking hands at end of the game(we won) they were asking us if any of our mothers were single LOL
SMOKE