Stepping off third

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't find it my ASA rule book so I'm bring it to the pros. Often with a power pull hitter at bat a runner on third will ask to step off the bag into foul territory.
So here is the scenario. Men on first and third one out. the runner on third has asked for permission to be off the bad in foul territory and been granted it. ( he has to re touch 3rd before proceeding home.) Hard hit ball is hit to third. The third baseman fields it steps on third before the runner can get back to re-tag then throws to first for a double play. Since the runner is required to re-tag is it a force out at third or does the fielder have to tag him? Or what?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It won't be in the rule book. By rule the it's a dead ball and the runner is out as soon as the pitch is released. The runner is required to maintain contact with the bag until the batter hits the ball or the ball reaches the front of the plate.

MaverickAH

In all honesty, you’re creating a potential problem by giving the runner permission to perform that action. You’re also giving yourself something else to have to look for!

For the sake of the question asked, I will assume that it’s a standard thing that this league allows for safety reasons.

Okay, first thing first….
“The third baseman fields it……”
Was it in the air or a ground ball?
I’m going to assume a ground ball& in that case with 1st & 3rd occupied, it would be a tag play & not a force unless this league specifically has a written rule to cover this occurrence.

One thing I am very cautious about is when sanctioned leagues want change rules. I tell them to put it in writing!