ASA Steps, hops in batters box

ojs43

Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question for USA slowpitch. As a pitch is being delivered, can you run or crow hop to hit the ball? I’m aware batters must maintain both feet inside the box, or touching the line.

If you can’t crow hop , can someone point Me to the right section in the rule book.

Thanks

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question for USA slowpitch. As a pitch is being delivered, can you run or crow hop to hit the ball? I’m aware batters must maintain both feet inside the box, or touching the line.

If you can’t crow hop , can someone point Me to the right section in the rule book.

Thanks

The batter can hit the ball while standing on his/her head and long as the body part touching the ground is not completely outside the batter's box or the plate. Touching the line is considered inside the batter's box

RNRPLZ

I like that Irish. But be careful, joker will correct you saying the rule book says both feet need to be in the box...lol... in case they are in the air hanging outside the box...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I like that Irish. But be careful, joker will correct you saying the rule book says both feet need to be in the box...lol... in case they are in the air hanging outside the box...

While USA does have questionable wording, nowhere does it state both feet must be in the box when contacting the ball

RNRPLZ

Rule 7-6-F batter is out. All outs stand. All other runners return to occupied base prior to the pitch.
When an entire foot is the ground completely outside the batters box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat

ojs43

Thanks all. I understood that both feet touching the line or inside the batters box. My question is can I start at the back of the box (feet on the line or inside) and hop/run to hit the ball (while maintaining my feet on or inside the box).

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks all. I understood that both feet touching the line or inside the batters box. My question is can I start at the back of the box (feet on the line or inside) and hop/run to hit the ball (while maintaining my feet on or inside the box).

And your question was answered a couple of times

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule 7-6-F batter is out. All outs stand. All other runners return to occupied base prior to the pitch.
When an entire foot is the ground completely outside the batters box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat

And that is an inaccurately worded rule. It should read "when the foot is touching the ground completely outside the batter's box".

ojs43

I was told in a training that the running in the box prior to contact was a safety issue rule for sow pitch. So I wanted to check since I couldn’t find it in the book.

I can only imagine how some umps in this thread get along with players in real life. One more time I’ll have to tell players that not all umpires are dïcks, I suppose.

LIKEUCM

A crow hop is generally defined as a move made by a pitcher. If a batter wants to hop around in the box, all is good, as long as one or both feet are not completely outside the box upon contact with the pitched ball. Keep in mind if a batter exits the box, and returns to the box to make contact with the ball, it is the same as being out of the box, and after declaring a dead ball, the batter should be declared out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I was told in a training that the running in the box prior to contact was a safety issue rule for sow pitch. So I wanted to check since I couldn’t find it in the book.

I can only imagine how some umps in this thread get along with players in real life. One more time I’ll have to tell players that not all umpires are dïcks, I suppose.

You were given bad information. If you have someone training umpires in that manner, they are using the MSU rulebook which has zero value to the game or any league