Other Strange play

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Routine ground ball. First baseman drops the ball and it rolls a bit away. Picks it up with bare hand and dives to bag touching with empty glove. From what I can tell the rule is possession (he had) and contact with the base with a body part. So is the glove an extension of the body? I'm inclined to say yes since technically you touch the base with your shoe and not your foot but cannot find where that is specifically discussed.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
Tagging base with empty glove = out
Tagging player with empty glove = safe

*** Presuming possession of the ball in the throwing hand

Poppybull

The Rookie
Only group/organization in HISTORY to be PERFECT, Umpires! Would surely be nice to see one of them say, I, WE are humans, we MAKE mistakes, instead of criticizing the very people who pay their salaries!!

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Only group/organization in HISTORY to be PERFECT, Umpires! Would surely be nice to see one of them say, I, WE are humans, we MAKE mistakes, instead of criticizing the very people who pay their salaries!!

Most of us say it all the time. Anything in particular about this thread that made you pop a gasket?

Poppybull

The Rookie
What in my statement made you ASSUME I popped a gasket??? Typical response I expected, kinda PROVES my point! Just making a general statement, no malice involved. Apparently NCASU ump doesn't share your feelings, if you read all the by-lines around his name! Sorry if you were offended my my VERY simple statement!

Last edited:

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
What in my statement made you ASSUME I popped a gasket??? Typical response I expected, kinda PROVES my point! Just making a general statement, no malice involved. Apparently NCASU ump doesn't share your feelings, if you read all the by-lines around his name! Sorry if you were offended my my VERY simple statement!

The shouting (all caps and exclamation points). It is difficult to read "tone of voice" in a message board. The continued use of the all caps seems like you are shouting.

But allow me to rephrase my question....

Was there something particular in this thread that sparked your comment regarding umpires never saying they make mistakes? I don't think the opening post even said what the call was in his situation or if it was simply a hypothetical.

Poppybull

The Rookie
Not shouting, just trying to emphasize certain words (thoughts)! My grandkids have to help me sign on and off my IPad, not very computer literate. Again, was just wondering is NCASU's views about lack of balls, umpiring from stands, etc., was the general opinion???? Personally, I would never accept a job, if side comments, not necessary nor essential to the game, caused me to have a negative reaction to the game, or the fans! Umps (Good umps) are there to call and control the game, not control what's said in the stands, not to try to determine who has the biggest set of testicles in the stands, etc! The problem I am seeing as I watch my 10U granddaughter play travel ball nearly every weekend is this, the umpires are either really good, OR really bad, those being bad have not a clue as to application of the rule book, and have developed thin skin and rabbit ears, I suppose from being questioned due to their lack of knowledge. In my opinion, very few judgement calls are questioned, it's the lack of understanding and application of rules which upset coaches and spectators! And NO, these guys have never made a mistake, just ASK them! And it appears this is generally done by association, with the USSSA ump being among the best! JMO

Last edited:

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Ok, so it was NCASAUmp's signature line that sparked your comment. Thanks for the clarification.

To address your question, in my experience, the loudest complainers (from coaching staff or the stands) are from people who really do have no idea what they are talking about and they are certain about it at the top of their lungs. I believe that's the gist of NCASAUmp's signature quotes.

I have no opinion on the quality of USSSA umps versus ASA umps versus PONY, versus NSA versus whatever other alphabet soup association. Often it's the same guys calling multiple associations. You'll get good ones and bad ones no matter what tournament you're watching.

Above all, try to enjoy watching your granddaughter play. Ultimately, the kids getting out and playing a game is what it's all about.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And that, my friends, is someone who takes everything he reads on the internet WAY too seriously! :D

It's called a sense of humor. Let's all find ours.

Poppybull

The Rookie
Eddieq, you hit the nail squarely on the head! Personally I sit beyond the dougot, down the foul lines, with a group of dads and grandfathers. I detest coaching from the stands as much as most umpires detest umpiring from the stands. The game is MUCH more enjoyable when you leave those task to the assigned individuals! And as you said, pretty dang difficult to determine if someone is bragging, or having fun(or SHOUTING) when reading post! We will continue to disagree on which is worst, bad fans and ill informed coaches, or umps who are never wrong and in truth are wrong a lot! But, that's one of the things that ONCE made our country so great, we could all have opinions, express them in a rational manner, and not be concerned about being politically correct! Thanks for your imput!

Last edited:

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The game is MUCH more enjoyable when you leave those task to the assigned individuals!

Exactly.

Coaches coach. Players play. Spectators spectate. And umpires umpire!

Leave the last one to the assigned individuals, too.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
When I have issues with umpires, I like to log in and SCREAM AT STRANGERS on the internet too.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
When I have issues with umpires, I like to log in and SCREAM AT STRANGERS on the internet too.

9DYNU.gif

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans

Come back when you have this newfangled internet fad/thing figured out gramps :bigok:

The protocols are slightly different than real live interactions.