Strategy: Where & Why?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Strategy: Where & Why?

Man on 1st base. Batter hits line drive into center field.

Neither LC or RC has a cannon, but can make a throw to 1st.
First baseman is a decent player, capable of handling the throw.
Runner from 1st to 2nd is quick, with a fast break.
He will not be taken at second.
Batter-runner is slower, but will require a quick throw.

Do you throw to 2nd/3rd to hold the runners, waiting for
a later opportunity to make a clean play?
-OR-
Do you throw for 1st base to try to take the batter-runner?

Explain why you picked one over the other.

%%%

nike33kjk

Addicted to Softballfans
As LC, I'm making the throw to the cut-off (SS) to keep the runner at second. If you try for the guy at first, a fast runner at second bolts for third. Or the throw gets misplayed advancing both runners. ( I mean, if there are two out and we are getting killed. I might risk it, out of frustration)

I've had this play in Senior ball and threw a rope to the third baseman. Nobody ran on me the rest of the game.

blakcherry329

Definitely a Senior Softball scenario. ;)
First off, if you're throwing a guy out from LC you do need somewhat of a cannon of an arm. 2nd, if the runner from 1b is quick, he may be able to go first to third on the throw behind him. Most 1b don't have great arms. So, imo, unless the batter runs like me, I would just hit the cutoff to keep the runners at 1st and 2nd.

JN137

The only situation where you would ever throw to 1B here would be 2 outs and the batter either falls down or is injured and basically walking.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I want a big Rick James ring with this engraved in it so I can imprint it in my outfielders' foreheads.

Sidenote: if you get thrown out at 1b from CF, it's time to curl up and die.
I'm with you. Hit the cut.........

Also, I have thrown a dude out before at first from RC. We were playing and it was late October and pretty cold that night. We were playing a tourney that weekend and we were killing some team. So, we were just going base to base to minimize the the risk of dudes getting hurt. I was on first and the guy behind me got a base hit, I could have pushed it to third, but I just cruised into second. The second baseman came over and says, "This base to base bull**** is disrespectful......Play the game like it's intended." I said, "Nothing personal, but we're just trying to keep from injuring anyone." He goes, "Look man, it's simple....Just play the ****ing game right." As it turns out, he was like the second hitter that inning, hitting behind a guy at first. He hit a one hopper to me in right center and I came up intending to just go to cut, but he's just jogging to first........So, I fired it to first and got him easily. He lost his ****ing mind!!!! Started jumping up and down and yelling ****. We were all laughing. After the game he thought he wanted to try and fight me. I just laughed at him and told him, "Look man, it's simple..........Just play the ****ing game right......." :)

chile

Bad Ape
i'm well past scaring anyone with my arm from the OF. hitting the cut all while telling (yelling at) him what's happening with the runners and hoping he doesn't ass it up.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
YEP - That was sort of a trick question --- The right answer is HIT THE CUTOFF!

It is extremely frustrating when the Outfielder throws somewhere other than the Cutoff - especially if you have good SS & 2B who always go out for the throw.

It's a LOW PERCENTAGE PLAY to try to take out the batter-runner at first, and usually a low percentage play to get an out at 3B - but at least at 2B or 3B, assuming a good handed receiver, you will hold the runners.

It's very important to hold those runners giving you a better chance at a double-play or an easier single out on the next play.

PLAY THE PERCENTAGES!
%%%

blakcherry329

I'm with you. Hit the cut.........

Also, I have thrown a dude out before at first from RC. We were playing and it was late October and pretty cold that night. We were playing a tourney that weekend and we were killing some team. So, we were just going base to base to minimize the the risk of dudes getting hurt. I was on first and the guy behind me got a base hit, I could have pushed it to third, but I just cruised into second. The second baseman came over and says, "This base to base bull**** is disrespectful......Play the game like it's intended." I said, "Nothing personal, but we're just trying to keep from injuring anyone." He goes, "Look man, it's simple....Just play the ****ing game right." As it turns out, he was like the second hitter that inning, hitting behind a guy at first. He hit a one hopper to me in right center and I came up intending to just go to cut, but he's just jogging to first........So, I fired it to first and got him easily. He lost his ****ing mind!!!! Started jumping up and down and yelling ****. We were all laughing. After the game he thought he wanted to try and fight me. I just laughed at him and told him, "Look man, it's simple..........Just play the ****ing game right......." :)
When I'm getting my ass kicked I much rather have the opposing team just keep playing ****ing game, so to speak. I mean, if you hit a double, take the double. All runners move up accordingly. If you hit an extra base hit and stop at first, that's waaaaaaaay worse than piling on runs, imo.

Having said that, I also wouldn't get upset, outwardly, about it. It's our job to stop the other team from scoring. If you're having a bad day, suck it up and take the L.

r8dr_rider

As a good base runner I always look for players throwing to the wrong base and I will advance. I’m 41 but still have wheels. I find that players will make bad throws when a seeing a runner advance.