Strike Zone

jlee

Had numerous different opinions on how balls and strikes are called. USSSA rules.

Is the strike called in relation to your body position or where in relation to where the ball hits the plate?

I played in a league in which the ball/strike was called based on the angle in which the ball crossed your shoulder. If you were up in the box and hit the plate it was still considered a strike.

In a another game they said it did not matter where the ball crosses relatively to your body. As long as it was less than 10 feet and would be called a strike usually depending on where the ball landed behind the plate.

Thoughts?

Joker

the strike zone is where the ball passes over the plate as the batter would take their normal stance, front knee to the back shoulder

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
So really, no ball should be called a strike if it hits the plate?

Picture the strike zone as a box above the plate, that has the length and width of the plate. The height of the box is determined by knee and shoulder of the batter in their normal stance, as joker said, but it stays over the plate regardless of where the batter is standing. If the ball passes through that box, it's a strike.

A ball could pass through the front-lower portion of the strike zone and still hit the plate.

Country469

Um no thats backwards. Unless its a local rule you have, thats wrong.

Sec. 4. A BALLIS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE on each pitch not swung at by batter if:
A. The pitched ball does not enter the strike zone.
B. The ball strikes the ground before passing completely across home plate, or
any part of the plate.
C. A pitched ball strikes any part of home plate.
D. Any unfairly delivered pitch is made and not struck at.
E. There is an illegal pitcher action.
F. A pitched ball is not released within 5 seconds from the time the pitcher has
the ball and the batter has taken his position in the batter’s box.
G. The catcher fails to return each pitch that is not hit directly to the Pitcher.

page 39, 2017 rule book

http://web.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/USSSA_SPRB_17.pdf

jlee

any part of the plate.
F. A pitched ball is not released within 5 seconds from the time the pitcher has
G. The catcher fails to return each pitch that is not hit directly to the Pitcher.

page 39, 2017 rule book

This is perfect, C. is what I needed to see.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans

any part of the plate.

page 39, 2017 rule book

So it's explicitly stated. I am corrected

Country469

where you stand in the box, is your choice. Always will be. But the umpire is supposed to call the zone based on you standing in the middle of the box even with the plate. So you could stand in the front of the box and have a strike be over your head. yes at that point, a ball hitting the plate would be a very hittable pitch you want to look for, but its still not a strike.

ureout

The Veteran
show me in any rule book were it says it can be a strike if it hits the plate

you asked...and here it is....

PITCHING REGULATIONS

6.1 • STRIKE ZONE MAT

A strike zone mat will be used. Legal pitches striking any portion of the mat will
be strikes.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
Every league we play here using a strike mat if it hits the mat it is a strike.However we sometimes play no mat. Than it's up to the ump to call it a strike if in the strike zone

ureout

The Veteran
from what association is that? also that says nothing about hitting the plate, it talks about the mat
it's senior ball ...they use a strike mat that abuts to the back of the plate and they do not call a strike zone to the batter....as long as the pitching arc is between 6' to 12' and hits the mat/plate its a strike.... I know it's totally different...I was just answering your post

Joker

it's senior ball ...they use a strike mat that abuts to the back of the plate and they do not call a strike zone to the batter....as long as the pitching arc is between 6' to 12' and hits the mat/plate its a strike.... I know it's totally different...I was just answering your post
the rule you posted says nothing about hitting the plate

ureout

The Veteran
The first post said USSSA rules so what happens in backyard old people ball is pretty irrelevant.

I didn't say that it was ....Jokers post said...show me in any rule book were it says it can be a strike if it hits the plate so I did...and btw be nice to old people you just might be one some day....if you are lucky

Joker

I didn't say that it was ....Jokers post said...show me in any rule book were it says it can be a strike if it hits the plate so I did...and btw be nice to old people you just might be one some day....if you are lucky
no your rule says nothing about hitting the plate

Joker

no. the rule says if it hits the mat, not the plate. that pic even differentiates the plate from the mat.

ureout

The Veteran
no. the rule says if it hits the mat, not the plate. that pic even differentiates the plate from the mat.
lmao... i posted pic. and it even tells the dimensions of the strike zone ....so deny it all you want but if a pitched ball 6' to 12' hits any part of HP or mat it's a strike....have a nice day

Joker

no, it gives you the overall dimension of the plate + the mat. you are trying to put in info that does not exist

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
you asked...and here it is....

PITCHING REGULATIONS

6.1 • STRIKE ZONE MAT

A strike zone mat will be used. Legal pitches striking any portion of the mat will
be strikes.
That is only in Senior ball where we use a mat.
The regular strike zone theory is great but I am will to bet that most umps call the strike zone by where the batter stands.

Country469

That is only in Senior ball where we use a mat.
The regular strike zone theory is great but I am will to bet that most umps call the strike zone by where the batter stands.

More like where the ball lands, but you're right. The low arch, faster pitched ball that crosses at the chest and lands 4 feet behind the plate never gets called a strike either.

As a pitcher, you learn the zone and work around it.

ureout

The Veteran
still hows 2 separate things with no labels or definiton of what is a strike is in that pic. the rule you quoted says mat only, nothing about the plate. you seem to be ignoring that

lmao ...you cannot possibly be that dense.....what part of the above pic. showing the dimensions of 17" x 34" and showing HP and mat together ...and then stating "Seniors Strike Mat Dimensions" don't you understand....