Swinging for the fences

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
ok ok, I am closer to 60 than not.However I am in good shape , generally and play in none Senior leagues.I seem to be able to get the ball to about 280 on a 300 foot fence, what do I need to do to , ahem, go all the way, I am jonesing to get one out.I use an Srv4 for most things and an older syngergy for base hits.I can use a miken ultra but still only getting 280-285. Suggestions

wcoastsoftball

Well, we don't know your entire health history, but 60 year olds are completely capable of gaining strength. Start with some easy core strength stuff, planks, back work, squats, lunges, etc and see what happens.

hatemail

Starting Player
whats wrong with being a gap hitter? i cant hit a ball more than 240 ' but i consistantly get on base and i drive in my share of runs...when my team hits our limit (usually much earlier in the game than we'd like) guys that spray the ball around suddenly become much much more valuable and our "hr/deep fly" guys become liabilities.

hatemail

Starting Player
oops...just saw the last part of your thread...if an ultra cant do it for ya ....well, refer to my previous post..

second2noone

post video of your swing and maybe can get some tips. But yup nothing wrong with being a gap hitter. You can beat any team with just singles.

AldapeCJ

Addicted to Softballfans
Change your grip. I hit about 4 to 5 home runs in my 7 previous years of playing ball. My coach changed my grip and all of a sudden im hitting bombs on a routine basis.

t0mmyb0y

Addicted to Softballfans
maybe post some video of your swing to make sure it is mechanically sound. I will also agree with the guy above me that the full overlap grip has boosted my ability to hit the ball out more consistently.

ncsoftballer

Addicted to Softballfans
In addition to the recommendations that have been proposed already, also make sure that you are incorporating your legs into your swing and leveraging your leg strength. Hip Torque is also important.

Some guys have good upper body strength where they can crank 'em out with just arm/upper body strength, but for good body and swing mechanics your legs need to be involved.

I was watching a special on Bryce Harper about a year ago and they talked about how great his hip torque was. After that, I adjusted my mechanics to better leverage my leg strength and increase my hip torque which helped me this past Spring and Fall to hit the ball harder more consistently and increased my distance by 10 - 15 ft. Instead of balls dying in the 260' - 280' range, I was more in the 280' to 295' class on a consistent basis.

Swilldog

Everyone loves bombs!
This really is a pointless thread with out a vid of you swinging. Lil gym time and some tweaks to your swing is about all you can do. I will have some youtube vids of stuff that I feel many people do not know of that can help ya core wise. I just started back to the gym so I wanna get my form back before I start posting it.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
post video of your swing and maybe can get some tips. But yup nothing wrong with being a gap hitter. You can beat any team with just singles.

Yep that is true and I tell my team that every game.However I am finding with my getting more comfortable with my bat I am hitting more balls deeper than ever, just need that little extra distance, I guess it's a personal thing now, but heck it would be great.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
Change your grip. I hit about 4 to 5 home runs in my 7 previous years of playing ball. My coach changed my grip and all of a sudden im hitting bombs on a routine basis.

I was thinking of going to the grip I see on you tube videos, to move my hand over the knob to get a little extra lever action, is this what you mean?

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
oops...just saw the last part of your thread...if an ultra cant do it for ya ....well, refer to my previous post..

I can get it nearly as far with the srv4.And its a better gap hitter. I may change back after I get one over the fence, haha
Regardless if you never hit with the ultra it can be a little tricky.

Paul66

Addicted to Softballfans
Ever try an overlap grip? I would start out by hitting off a tee and compare your conventional swing with the overlap grip swing and see how much more distance you get. Takes some getting used to but will give you the extra distance. Great to see that you still want to improve your game. Good luck!