ASA Switching Sides

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
I couldn't find anything in the rulebook.

Is there any rule against switching sides during an at bat? 1st pitch the batter is batting from the left side, next pitch he switches over to the right side.

They did this to me in a game I called the other night. It was a BS game because it was during a downpour, with the RH batter's box in ankle deep water and a river running through the infield. They had already started the game and the LD left it up to them to make it official or come back and complete it.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
See ASA rule 7-3-E for your answer.

The batter can switch to the opposite batter's box up until the point that the pitcher is in position to pitch (ie: in contact with the pitching plate, facing the batter, ball held in front of the body and a catcher in the catcher's box).

If the batter steps directly across the plate after that point, the ball is dead and he is out. If he wants to switch sides, he needs to do it before the pitcher is in position to pitch, or ask for time and wait for it to be granted before switching.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks, all. Yeah, it kind of ticked off the outfield, but like I said, it was a BS fun game. He didn't like standing in ankle deep water and switched to the "dry" side.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Question for you!

I couldn't find anything in the rulebook.

Is there any rule against switching sides during an at bat? 1st pitch the batter is batting from the left side, next pitch he switches over to the right side.

They did this to me in a game I called the other night. It was a BS game because it was during a downpour, with the RH batter's box in ankle deep water and a river running through the infield. They had already started the game and the LD left it up to them to make it official or come back and complete it.

I'm not sure if you were the umpire or if you were pitching. But, if you were the umpire why didn't you call the game. Once the game starts the LD is not longer in the equation with regard to weather. And if conditions were as bad as you make them sound that game should not have continued.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure if you were the umpire or if you were pitching. But, if you were the umpire why didn't you call the game. Once the game starts the LD is not longer in the equation with regard to weather. And if conditions were as bad as you make them sound that game should not have continued.

My thoughts exactly.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, I was umping it. Long story, but I didn't mind and neither team minded. We were already wet and said, "screw it." We had fun with it.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, I was umping it. Long story, but I didn't mind and neither team minded. We were already wet and said, "screw it." We had fun with it.

Whether or not anyone minded, if there was ankle-deep water in the batter's box, the field is almost certainly unsafe for play. Not sure about the legalities, but neglecting this could expose you to legal action if anyone were injured because of the unsafe playing condition.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Whether or not anyone minded, if there was ankle-deep water in the batter's box, the field is almost certainly unsafe for play. Not sure about the legalities, but neglecting this could expose you to legal action if anyone were injured because of the unsafe playing condition.

You're right. I never thought of it that way.