Switching which side you bat from

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I tore my oblique on my left side a week ago. Entire left side bruised up almost immediately. I couldn’t breath if I swung, it knocked the wind out of me. Anyway, instead of shutting it down for the rest of the season I decided I’d try to learn how to bat left handed. Wow. I’ve probably taken 200-250 swings this week to get ready for state playoffs and man is it demoralizing. It almost feels like I’m fighting to get my hands through the zone instead of just being able to throw my hands at it. Normally in bp, when I try to swing for it I can knock out 2-3 HRs in a row no problem. Just barrel it with my normal swing. Now I’m struggling to reach the fence. Like shouldn’t I have more power theoretically with my guide hand being my dominant hand? On the plus side is it seems natural to do that left handed 75% swing down the left field line to drop it in front of a left fielder or down the line and seems to come naturally. It’s really weird to try and change your mindset for how you approach your at bats. Also not confident in being able to just hit the open side of the middle with my swing. Has anyone else dealt with this before? Any tips or suggestions on learning how to bat the opposite way in a short period of time. Maybe I should @Ken07 for this question.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've pulled an oblique batting a couple times. It sucks, and nothing but time and not swinging a bat will make it feel better.

I can hit lefty, but I have nowhere near as much power as I do righty.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
What was your recovery time? I’m hoping to be good for nationals in a few weeks and worlds but everything I read says it takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks normally which puts me right on the cusp for maybe ready for Florida. I’m just trying to play it safe and not injure it worse because it’s totally debilitating. I mean, I can hit lefty decent enough and be complacent as a P/MI because those guys can get by on their pitching/defense but I don’t expect to hit between 6-700 which is what I expect every weekend normally. If I hit 500 at states this weekend I’d be pumped but I’m sure my team won’t be.

Normy

I pretty much swing lefty like I throw lefty. Not pretty. I'd be the moral support bench squad if something like that ever happened. Hope you recover soon!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
What was your recovery time? I’m hoping to be good for nationals in a few weeks and worlds but everything I read says it takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks normally which puts me right on the cusp for maybe ready for Florida. I’m just trying to play it safe and not injure it worse because it’s totally debilitating. I mean, I can hit lefty decent enough and be complacent as a P/MI because those guys can get by on their pitching/defense but I don’t expect to hit between 6-700 which is what I expect every weekend normally. If I hit 500 at states this weekend I’d be pumped but I’m sure my team won’t be.

Both times I pulled an oblique it was during winter BP on a cold day. I was able to let it sit without having to miss any games.

IDK what the recovery time really is. It sounds like you hurt your oblique worse than I hurt mine. Most of the time you don't even feel it. Only when you swing a bat does it flare up.

You will probably be fine by FL. Stretch the muscle a little. Don't just let it sit idle/unused for 2 months.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
In that case, are you sure the team's better off with you batting lefty; or would they be better served with someone uninjured playing?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I pretty much swing lefty like I throw lefty. Not pretty. I'd be the moral support bench squad if something like that ever happened. Hope you recover soon!

I've tried it a few times in pick-up games, joking around in BP... I look like an 8yo girl swinging a bat for the first time.

Real switch-hitters amaze me.

blakcherry329

I used to be able to hit lefty in baseball and modified. Not much power but I could place the ball like Tony Gwynn or Rod Carew. We used to play a lot of stickball and wiffle ball, so we batted lefty all the time trying to hit like the Big Leaguers. :)
Never was able to hit arc lefty.

Redsfan

I used to be able to hit lefty in baseball and modified. Not much power but I could place the ball like Tony Gwynn or Rod Carew. We used to play a lot of stickball and wiffle ball, so we batted lefty all the time trying to hit like the Big Leaguers. :)
Never was able to hit arc lefty.
I'm the same way. I could switch hit in baseball but the arc in softball messes me up from the left side. If it was just flat pitches I would probably be fine. I could always make better contact lefty while playing baseball but I could hit it twice as far righty so I stayed right handed. Haha

r8dr_rider

When I played baseball I was a switch hitter. Actually liked hitting left cuz I would hit oppo and easily outrun a grounder to 3B is SS. Lefty hitters are closer to 1B and are naturally directed that way after a swing. but when I got into slowpitch I just stayed with right side since I had more power and regret it.