Any Tagging Up Question

NITF

Addicted to Softballfans
I have really enjoyed hearing the details of the rules and the thoroughness of the explanations so thanks to all the umpires that are contributing.

This didn't happen, I just was wondering what the ruling would be.

I am the only runner and am on 3rd with no outs, the next batter hits a huge pop fly in the infield and I run all the way to home while the ball is in the air and then walk back towards 3rd. My intent being if the ball is caught I just get back to 3rd but if it is dropped I just walk into the dugout.

How can the umpire distinguish between me going back to 3rd to tag up if it is caught or just walking back to the dugout knowing the fielder was going to drop it, and does that matter?

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
That is a really tall fly ball or you are pretty fast.

Since you have to touch all the bases when running in reverse, touch home twice and you can go back to 3B if the catch is made.

NITF

Addicted to Softballfans
I have hit some seriously bad pop flys and we have a guy on the team fast enough to cover the distance but it was more of a theoretical question. I thought about the touching the bases in reverse order but that is obvious at all bases except home. If I hit home with only one foot, stop immediately and walk to the dugout that is legal so how could you define the difference if I ran home and right as I touched home they caught it and I had to run back?

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Your not out until you leave the field of play.

Side note: Is this section ONLY for umpires to respond or anyone?

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would you do that? If a fly ball is hit with less than two outs and you are at third you always tag.

If it is caught you can score easily. If it is dropped you can score easily too.

If you run off the bag and it is dropped you score easily. But, if you run off the bag and it is caught you have to run back to third and then back home.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
what the OP is asking is if his team is in the 3rd base dugout, and the ball is hit a mile in the air, the runner on third runs home, stops on home plate, then proceeds to jog back up the 3rd base line "area", all while the ball is still in the air.

its a good theoretical question that i would like to hear some answers from the usual umpire posters

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
what the OP is asking is if his team is in the 3rd base dugout, and the ball is hit a mile in the air, the runner on third runs home, stops on home plate, then proceeds to jog back up the 3rd base line "area", all while the ball is still in the air.

its a good theoretical question that i would like to hear some answers from the usual umpire posters

Theoretically speaking, it would never happen unless you were drunk.

NITF

Addicted to Softballfans

You understand both the question and my motivation perfectly, I am afraid that this means we are both insane though :)

kornphed

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would you do that? If a fly ball is hit with less than two outs and you are at third you always tag.

If it is caught you can score easily. If it is dropped you can score easily too.

If you run off the bag and it is dropped you score easily. But, if you run off the bag and it is caught you have to run back to third and then back home.

OP said it was a fly ball in the infield.....haven't seen anyone fast enough to tag on a fly in the IF unless the IFer isn't paying attention.

Bigballa69

Banned User
This is a stupid question. The real question is why are you on 3rd? I'm never on base unless I get an IBB, because I always his HRs.