Any TAGGING UP

ureout

The Veteran
is there a rule in any associations that doesn't allow a runner to take a few steps behind the bag waiting for 1st touch on a fly ball and then get a running start tagging up on 1st touch and then proceeding to the next bag.. if so please post rule no. and assoc. thx

stpshark

I asked about this during umpire training this year (USSSA) because someone did it in a game last year. The trainers said that it would be legal. However, I know it is illegal in baseball and fast pitch softball. In USSSA rulebook, Rule 8. 5. R, it says that base runners are out "When he positions himself behind, and not in contact with, the base to get a running start." but apparently if it is after the ball has been hit, it must be ok?

trippy1313

Starting Player
I don't know the rules, I'm also not an umpire... but If you're behind the bag.... are you also not on the base path??? Unless you're backing up on the base path and there for having to round the base as well...

D-ROCK13

Not sure of the official rule, but in our local usssa leagues, it's legal to stand as far as the fence, when on 1rst or 3rd, in order to be out of harm's way, on a line drive. Only seen a couple people use it and never to get a running start on a tag up like described

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd like to see what the official ruling on this is as well.. I believe all is well in all associations with perhaps the exception of a funky utrip rule (idk) as long as contact with the base is made until ball has been hit?!?!

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I asked about this during umpire training this year (USSSA) because someone did it in a game last year. The trainers said that it would be legal. However, I know it is illegal in baseball and fast pitch softball. In USSSA rulebook, Rule 8. 5. R, it says that base runners are out "When he positions himself behind, and not in contact with, the base to get a running start." but apparently if it is after the ball has been hit, it must be ok?
Correct, the rule speaks about positioning prior the pitch. Once the ball is hit the runner can go pretty much wherever they want. Functionally it is no different than a runner going halfway on a fly ball.

ETA: After re-reading the rule and comparing it to the USA rule. I think the intent was to match the USA rule, but that's not what was written. I am going to send an email to the USSSA National UIC and Director of Officiating to get their interpretation and see if it can be changed.
I don't know the rules, I'm also not an umpire... but If you're behind the bag.... are you also not on the base path??? Unless you're backing up on the base path and there for having to round the base as well...
What is the base path? The base path and the base line are two separate things. The base path is a path three feet on either side of a direct line from where the runner is when a fielder attempts to tag them, the last base touched or assumed to have touched and the next base. If there is no tag attempt there is no base path. If a runner wants to touch second base, continue out and touch the left field foul pole and then run to third base it would be perfectly legal if no one is attempting to tag them.

Last edited:

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you willing to post or PM me with what state you're clinic was in and whom the instructor was? If they are correct I want to make sure they get the praise and if it's incorrect I'd like to see it fixed.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
I play with someone who does this quite often. The problem is that it looks like he is leaving early. I have seen him called out a few times because it appeared that he left early when he didn't. The ump can see him move but not see his feet and the bag.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
This is illegal in every baseball and softball rule set I’m aware of. In twenty five years of umpiring I’ve seen this happen exactly zero times. It’s one of those calls that’s so rare an inexperienced umpire might not even be aware of it.

ureout

The Veteran
This is illegal in every baseball and softball rule set I’m aware of. In twenty five years of umpiring I’ve seen this happen exactly zero times. It’s one of those calls that’s so rare an inexperienced umpire might not even be aware of it.
Bretman, would you post a rule on why it is illegal.. remember the runner sets up like this after the ball has been hit

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
USA 8.7.V
"The runner is out ... when a runner is positioned behind and not in contact with a base to get a running start on any fly ball."

And, to address the discussion above, you cannot have a fly ball until after the ball is batted, so this rule must apply after the ball is hit. Further, USA 8.7.R governs maintaining contact with the base until the ball is batted, touches the ground, or reaches home plate.

Last edited:

ureout

The Veteran
USA 8.7.V
"The runner is out ... when a runner is positioned behind and not in contact with a base to get a running start on any fly ball."

And, to address the discussion above, you cannot have a fly ball until after the ball is batted, so this rule must apply after the ball is hit. Further, USA 8.7.R governs maintaining contact with the base until the ball is batted, touches the ground, or reaches home plate.
I understand 8.7V .. I don't believe this rule pertains to the OP .. this is for a runner being off the base BEFORE the pitch or after the ball has been released by the pitcher but BEFORE the ball is batted, touches the ground, or reaches home plate.

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
USA 8.7.R governs maintaining contact with the base BEFORE the ball is batted, touches the ground, or reaches home plate.
USA 8.7.V governs getting a running start on a fly ball, which can only occur AFTER the ball is batted.
If USA 8.7.V were meant to apply BEFORE the ball is batted, it would be completely redundant of USA 8.7.R and, therefore, unnecessary.