Tee or pop up toss for training ?

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
A pop toss will help you develope bad habits. Use a tee, and work on your form and mechanics... Not HR derby! Thank me later!

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
start off with the tee and get your mechanics down! Nothing beats an old fashioned BP though!

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
I toss it up for bp making sure to concentrate of line drives. I start in left field with a bucket of balls. Then hit the next bucket to LC, then center, then RC, the right. This works fine for me. No sense in buying a tee if you don't need one. This is how I thought myself stop being a pull only hitter. I can hit anywhere I want now which has greatly improved my game.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
yeah if the ball is moving but not in a way that resembles an actual pitch, i don't think it helps. just hit off a tee for mechanics. when it comes to timeing and such, just do live bp or if you have to, cages (however, most cages aren't pitching from normal distances)

timyoung

Panda Smash!
get a popup net for a tosser or a tee. You'll get a lot more swings in without chasing balls.

hatemail

Starting Player
So do you guys really think the or know the pop toss will give you bad habits? If so in what way?

never used it but ive seen a few videos of guys using it and it just looks awkward as hell....for some reason it looks like everyone who used it looked rushed in their swing...

i prefer live bp for obvious reasons but if im working alone id opt for the tee everytime...

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I toss it up for bp making sure to concentrate of line drives. I start in left field with a bucket of balls. Then hit the next bucket to LC, then center, then RC, the right. This works fine for me. No sense in buying a tee if you don't need one. This is how I thought myself stop being a pull only hitter. I can hit anywhere I want now which has greatly improved my game.

Totally disagree with all of this...............

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
I would think a moving ball is better than a ball in one place to hit at. Granted a tee is good for mechanics, grip trial and just to hit a ball.
I think the pop toss would be good if one made a mount for it to sit higher and at more of an angle. I was messing around with my pop toss, i placed a pop toss about 3' in the air and at an angle for it to pitch a little flatter, using a piece of card board to hold the ball from falling off. At maybe a 45* angle it shot the ball maybe around 15-18' from the pop toss to batter and it mimicks some utrip style pitching. Asa style with higher of an angle on the pop toss you may get 10-15' from pop toss to batter. Still a useable n hittable pitch for bp. I was using used asa decker sharks in this trial.

I am going to try make a stand out of angle metal i have or pvc if possible. Ill try to make it so you adjust the angle for asa or utrip style pitching. I think a stand putting the pop toss 3-4' high would work perfect for solo BP.
Metal may be heavy but u can make whatever u want with metal.
Pvc is lighter & u will be limited to what they offer at stores. Pvc may not work but maybe pvc n metal may work.

When or if i get around to doing this i will post up pics of the setup or even a mockup of one. Id hate to waste some metal if this isnt any good or even a good idea as metal even scraps arent cheap. I need to find some old bed frames from garage sales as they go for only a few dollars n they are thinner n lighter. Perfect for this setup. i can even make it rollable for better portability so u dont have to carry it.

Any thoughts or ideas any of you may have on this setup? Post up as i rarely find people to take bp with. Solo bp i learned to go middle n oppo so solo bp works for me, so fvckit

Last edited:

mustafa

The Great Fatbino
I bought a pop toss and it only ****ed me up. I went back to my tee. Pop toss is a waste of money. As most as said, nothing beats good old fashioned live bp.

ShaneDuncan

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the jugs soft toss. Drilled the bottom and it stands on a camera tripod which I can angle however I want. The tripod will also let me set the unit up to 60"s high. I adjust it and the balls come in at a similar angle to normal pitches. Took me about an hour of work and maybe $20 for the tap and threader but its amazing. If you get it angled right and stay focused and avoid the urge to just try and hit home runs each at bat then you wont develop the bad habits. I hit with mine three days a week and have loved it so far.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
True live bp is the best but lots of people dont want to take bp. So for that you have to improvise with a heater pitching machine, wheeler dealer, pop toss, soft toss machine, tee or just throw the ole ball up in the air with your hand n hit style. To me anythings better than nothing. I dont think the pop toss will introduce bad habits, maybe its just the person.

hatemail

Starting Player
True live bp is the best but lots of people dont want to take bp. So for that you have to improvise with a heater pitching machine, wheeler dealer, pop toss, soft toss machine, tee or just throw the ole ball up in the air with your hand n hit style. To me anythings better than nothing. I dont think the pop toss will introduce bad habits, maybe its just the person.

i disagree about not introducing bad habits....imo it doesnt allow you the time to properly coil, load, and stride.....

ShaneDuncan

Addicted to Softballfans
i disagree about not introducing bad habits....imo it doesnt allow you the time to properly coil, load, and stride.....

Thats why you lift it up. I put my Jugs soft toss on a digital camcorder tripod that lifts it up 60"s. With it being up I can have the machine directly in front of me and about 8' ahead of me which allows me plenty of time to coil, load and stride.... And the balls come in at an angle thats very similar to a game pitch.

However yes if you leave your soft toss directly on the ground it sucks.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Well i play asa n utrip here so getting use to two totally different pitches n bats maybe bats sux at times.

But setting it higher about 3' + can/may make a difference or help. Its worth a shot.

icurnvs

Addicted to Softballfans
Tee for swing mechanics, live bp or cages if you wanna work on timing. I find the pop toss messes with my timing, which messes with my mechanics, but its great if I just wanna go out and hit bombs without bugging someone to pitch for me.