The Business of Pro Softball?

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
Something I've always been curious about... Can someone explain the business of Conference Pro softball to me?

I've heard Conference Major guys make something like $40-50K per year. If that's true, it would mean an annual payroll of about $750K for a full roster. Who's paying that salary? And why?

Are the sponsors making money as "owners" of these pro teams? I saw an interview where Travis Resmondo said it's mostly an ego thing, which makes it sound like a successful businessman from the sod industry is losing money on a passion project. Or do you think the bat sponsorships and equipment deals make it profitable?

Speaking of which, when Greg Connell, Brett Helmer, etc. score a bat deal, does that money go to the team owner or the players?

And does any of this apply to lower-level sponsored teams (Conference A, etc.)?

So many questions! And such an interesting topic!

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Something I've always been curious about... Can someone explain the business of Conference Pro softball to me?

I've heard Conference Major guys make something like $40-50K per year. If that's true, it would mean an annual payroll of about $750K for a full roster. Who's paying that salary? And why?

Are the sponsors making money as "owners" of these pro teams? I saw an interview where Travis Resmondo said it's mostly an ego thing, which makes it sound like a successful businessman from the sod industry is losing money on a passion project. Or do you think the bat sponsorships and equipment deals make it profitable?

Speaking of which, when Greg Connell, Brett Helmer, etc. score a bat deal, does that money go to the team owner or the players?

And does any of this apply to lower-level sponsored teams (Conference A, etc.)?

So many questions! And such an interesting topic!
Sponsors are paying that expense. It could be they love the game like Travis, they are looking for a place to play like Tommie Baugh and David Siteman. They could have more money than they know what to do with like Dan Smith. They want to increase their market share like Mark Carucci or Charles Darling. The money drops off quickly once you get outside of the major players.
Mark Carucci of MPT Rentals and Juno probably ends up profiting because of how many players buy his bats, especially after they won the Major last year.
Bat sponsorship money could go to the player or the team depending on who the contract is with. Demarini sponsors Sportsreach, but I don't think they are sponsoring any specific players on the team.
It's all considered a tax write off for the sponsor as a marketing expense.
Conference A teams may have a player or two that have their own deals, they may have a deal with a manufacturer to get bats to swing. As you go lower the less money the sponsors are putting in and the less they are expecting. Two new Conference B teams, Coursey Realty out of CA and Van Wert Frickers out of OH both finished top 4 in C Worlds last year, I know Coursey has a sponsorship with Anarchy, but I don't think Van Wert has anything.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Yes I realize how old this thread is.

Twenty years ago Jeff Hague told me he spent $500,000 on his team. Twenty years ago.n