The Do's and Don'ts on how to ship a bat

i just received a bat today that was shipped to me by a board member. the pics below are how to properly ship a bat.

DC (now call USPS Tracking) is free with Priority Mail. They don't use these stickers anymore. Notice the Insurance as well.
DSC02844.jpg

A triangle box that can be picked up at the PO or delivered to your house. These are FREE. Notice all the tape on the box. That is a properly taped box. There was also newspaper in the box to pack the bat and to keep it from ratteling and moving around.
DSC02848.jpg

Notice the tape again...
DSC02847.jpg

and again...
DSC02845.jpg

this is a box i shipped. it is a bat manufacturer box wrapped in the thick package wrapping paper with a lot of packing tape and strapping tape to reinforce.

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

Here are pics of a NON-PROPERLY taped TUBE that was sent to me. Needless to say, the bat was gone.

Here is a tube with NO insurance. Inside there was no packing and no bat as a result of poor packing and tape job.
DSC02809.jpg

Both sides of the endcaps were taped down using priority mail stickers, not tape, stickers.
DSC02804.jpg

When you don't properly package a bat, the bat bangs back and forth eventually popping off the endcaps or allowing somebody to get into the bat with ease. Notice the STICKERS are ripped from the endcap being popped off either by the bat banging back and forth or by a person. This leads to a bat not being received. The clear packing tape was not put on by the shipper, but by the USPS after the cap popped off or they opened it.
DSC02800.jpg

So remember....

Package the bat yourself, don't rely on the girlfriend/wife/mistress/random dude at the ups store to do it correctly. (from yem549)

always tape the crap out of the box

PO boxes are safe. they are mailboxes inside the PO itself. it's just like sending a package to your residence. no problems at all.

use a bat box or triangle box. the triangles are free from the PO.

if you don't like the triangles, the PO now sells "bat boxes" in their "redi post" section.

Delivery Confirmation (now called USPS Tracking) is free with Priority mail.

Always purchase insurance.

get signature confirmation. it makes it much easier when somebody signs for the package. this way it can't be left at the door.

always pack the bat tightly to prevent movement

write the name, address AND tracking number ON THE BOX with marker, just in case the label with the address comes off, gets dirty or damaged somehow. (from thejackyl666)

please properly mark out all names and addresses on used boxes before reusing or recycling them. (to deter identity theft) (from kruncyfrogg)

always check all feedback, not just the first page. the person could have prior bad deals, so do some research. remember: we can only protect ourselves.

new members: board protocol says you may have you ship first. this is not unheard of, so don't be offended. on the other hand...if not requested to ship first, don't fall for peoples nice bs and voluntarily ship first. some dbags tend to take advantage of "noobs" and end up ripping them off. don't fall for it.

this is taken from the Selling Section...

Mailing Issues:

I typically will use USPS because of the Mail Fraud Laws. But no method is 100% perfect. If you prefer UPS or Fedex, fine, but use these suggested packaging procedures to minimize losses.

1) Take pictures of the items you are sending as proof for insurance.

2) Package the items in a quality box. If it's been used and crushed before, find another box.

3) Securely tape the buyer's address to the item in case it really does 'accidentally' escape the box.

4) Triangle or Square boxes for bats are preferred for several reasons.The round tubes have a history of the cap cutting the tape (or a person) and being received empty. It's harder to identify that the cap has been opened. The triangles are free from usps.gov (order 10 free online to have some on-hand) and these can be better taped closed. If you insist on using a tube, be sure to staple the endcaps in place every two inches, then crisscross the endcaps with strapping tape (see below) and then wrap tape around the tube end to cover the ends of the strapping tape.

5) Use strapping tape rather than box tape... strapping tape has strands of string (maybe fiberglass) running the length of the roll. This is much harder to 'accidentally' break or cut. CHEAP TAPE is no bargain.

6) Tape over the ends of the box, then tape around the end of the box to double secure the tape you put over the ends.

7) Always purchase insurance. delivery confirmation (now called USPS Tracking) is free with Priority Mail. Include this coverage in your selling price.

8) Notify the buyer when you ship the package. Send an email with the tracking number (and pictures if you have them).

9) The buyer should check the box for weight (that it's not empty) BEFORE they sign for the delivery. If it IS empty, be sure the delivery person signs something that states it was delivered empty!

Last edited:

jed.only

Don't judge me.
i received a bat from this board with a shipping label on it. no kidding. most guys know how to do it and what to use. ive used a tube in a pinch. the triangle from USPS is the best, shipping with insurance and DC should be the norm. i received a bat from whowasthat? that was shipped perfectly, right down to bubblewrap and a address label on the bubblewrap in case the tube came open.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
The plastic endcaps were never meant to be taped. They are supposed to be stapled. When properly packaged tubes are superior to triangles.

gal419

I.B.E.W. Local 126
Too bad fatcatdog32001 aka mylittlepony didn't know this before she shipped your bat.

swish16

What goes here?
Would this be acceptable? Lol this is what I sent fishsticks.. Ask him how much fun it was to open :D

c4f6c90f.jpg

006c261f.jpg

EvilE

Daddy 2011!!!!
Ive gotten some doozies over the years, from broken bats, to thrashed boxes to empty tubes! I always ship to people the way I would expect it to arrive to me! This guide is spot on!!

jaymz3281

Addicted to Softballfans
Very nice. I went to the Post Office and asked for some of the triangle boxes and the lady brought me a brand new, unopened case of them. I'm set for a while!!!

diet pepsi

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, printing out the label is GTG. It took me a bit to figure out the postage, but other than that it was easy. I printed it out and carried the box into the PO and sat it down. No waiting in line. Today I was shipping 6 practice balls in a flat rate box, so it was easy and then, I have a record of buying the postage and DC.

Camnew

Addicted to Softballfans
If you've got a scale around the house or are using Flat Rate packaging, buying postage online is the way to go. I love walking into the post office and bypassing the line of 15 people just to throw my package on the counter, turn around and leave.

silver2k2gt

Cold Smoke
If you've got a scale around the house or are using Flat Rate packaging, buying postage online is the way to go. I love walking into the post office and bypassing the line of 15 people just to throw my package on the counter, turn around and leave.

And the look on their faces is even better, this is the only way to ship.

yem549

Bullpen Catcher
he also said he was going to start shipping with insurance after this incident. he really did.

You forgot the most important part....Package the bat yourself, don't rely on the girlfriend/wife/mistress/random dude at the ups store to do it correctly.

tc86bmsn

Addicted to Softballfans
tubes are the way to go, you bubble wrap the $#!% out of em so you got to put some force and pressure into it to get them in the tube, then you tape the $#!& outa the caps, or staple them. if done the right way the bat will not slide around at all. ive never had any problems doing it that way.

OnlySolo

You mad?
tubes are the way to go, you bubble wrap the $#!% out of em so you got to put some force and pressure into it to get them in the tube, then you tape the $#!& outa the caps, or staple them. if done the right way the bat will not slide around at all. ive never had any problems doing it that way.

No the triangle are the right thing to use. As stated before.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
Insurance & Delivery Confirmation are a must .

Just shipped a bat out & I'd want seller to do the same for me as well

TheJackal666

Silence....I keel you
I typically will use USPS because of the Mail Fraud Laws. But no method is 100% perfect. If you prefer UPS or Fedex, fine, but use these suggested packaging procedures to minimize losses.

1) Take pictures of the items you are sending as proof for insurance.

2) Package the items in a quality box. If it's been used and crushed before, find another box.

3) Securely tape the buyer's address to the item in case it really does 'accidentally' escape the box.

4) Triangle or Square boxes for bats are preferred for several reasons.The round tubes have a history of the cap cutting the tape (or a person) and being received empty. It's harder to identify that the cap has been opened. The triangles are free from usps.gov (order 10 free online to have some on-hand) and these can be better taped closed. If you insist on using a tube, be sure to staple the endcaps in place every two inches, then crisscross the endcaps with strapping tape (see below) and then wrap tape around the tube end to cover the ends of the strapping tape.

5) Use strapping tape rather than box tape... strapping tape has strands of string (maybe fiberglass) running the length of the roll. This is much harder to 'accidentally' break or cut. CHEAP TAPE is no bargain.

6) Tape over the ends of the box, then tape around the end of the box to double secure the tape you put over the ends.

7) Always purchase insurance and delivery confirmation. Include this coverage in your selling price.

8) Notify the buyer when you ship the package. Send an email with the tracking number (and pictures if you have them).

9) The buyer should check the box for weight (that it's not empty) BEFORE they sign for the delivery. If it IS empty, be sure the delivery person signs something that states it was delivered empty!

I also write the name, address AND tracking number ON THE BOX with marker, just in case the label with the address comes off, gets dirty or damaged somehow.

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Great thread here. I just thought it deserved a bump, with a tidbit of info that hasn`t been shared yet:

Please properly mark out all names and addresses on used boxes before reusing or recycling them!

Identity theft is no joke, and a huge box in the trash is an easy target to just grab for any potential thief.

alteredzx

Bazinga
I also write the name, address AND tracking number ON THE BOX with marker, just in case the label with the address comes off, gets dirty or damaged somehow.

I write in on the box in marker and then cover that with clear tape. That if it gets dirty or damaged all you have to do is wipe it off.

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
Would this be acceptable? Lol this is what I sent fishsticks.. Ask him how much fun it was to open :D

c4f6c90f.jpg

006c261f.jpg
I am just glad I was able to open it instead of sending it back to the shipper to open it for me or use a blow torch.

I have the box still in my car, I have no clue why, I guess as a reminder.

hitsone

I gotta check out how to do this.
The little PO south of the line in USA always has a looooong line of Canuck e-bayers getting cheap US mailing. Like 1-50 pakgs ea. Very efficient PO people tho. goes faster than expected.