The Do's and Don'ts on how to ship a bat

Cubslover

Certified Mother****er
Just request 10 triangle boxes from usps.com and tape them up well. I wrap packing tape AROUND the triangle at 5 places down it. Then a strip from each side to side on the end. Once more on each end around the tape that was used on the endcap.

It's that ****ing easy!

Great thread here. I just thought it deserved a bump, with a tidbit of info that hasn`t been shared yet:

Please properly mark out all names and addresses on used boxes before reusing or recycling them!

Identity theft is no joke, and a huge box in the trash is an easy target to just grab for any potential thief.

i agree 100%. i always rip off old labels before recycling and rip off old address' from junk mail. shredding is a must as well. good call.

A must ?

I have never ever used delivery confirmation ... however, I believe thats what the insurance is for.

DC is great for a piece of mind. i'm not sure if insurance tracks the package as well.

Menace7

EBAY LIGHT up in here !
I believe INSURANCE over $200 will require the package to be signed for , theres not built in tracking in just getting insurance on an item with USPS ........ DELIVERY CONFIRMATION is just a way you can officially see/track the dropoff and final destination when the package was delivered.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
While insurance is a MUST!!!! Delivery Confirmation is meh... They often never update it, until the package has already been delivered. I guess it gives piece of mind to the buyer, but 9 out of 10 times all the DC website says is the package has been accepted at the usps in wherever, usa. Then 2 days after i get the package, it says delivered......gee thanks.

Blake

(|)
While insurance is a MUST!!!! Delivery Confirmation is meh... They often never update it, until the package has already been delivered. I guess it gives piece of mind to the buyer, but 9 out of 10 times all the DC website says is the package has been accepted at the usps in wherever, usa. Then 2 days after i get the package, it says delivered......gee thanks.

there is irony in here somewhere I only wish I could find it

It doesn't say tracking for christ sake!

jabear32

Addicted to Softballfans
i just received a bat today that was shipped to me by Menace7. the pics below are how to properly ship a bat.

DC AND Insurance
DSC02844.jpg

A triangle box that can be picked up at the PO or delivered to your house. These are FREE. Notice all the tape on the box. That is a properly taped box. There was also newspaper in the box to pack the bat and to keep it from ratteling and moving around.
DSC02848.jpg

Notice the tape again...
DSC02847.jpg

and again...
DSC02845.jpg

Here are pics of a NON-PROPERLY taped TUBE that was sent to me by Michael Gerena aka fatcatdog32001 aka mylittlepony from Renton, WA

Here is a tube with NO insurance. Inside there was no packing and no bat as a result of poor packing and tape job.
DSC02809.jpg

Both sides of the endcaps were taped down using priority mail stickers, not tape, stickers.
DSC02804.jpg

When you don't properly package a bat, the bat bangs back and forth eventually popping off the endcaps or allowing somebody to get into the bat with ease. Notice the STICKERS are ripped from the endcap being popped off either by the bat banging back and forth or by a person. This leads to a bat not being recieved. The clear packing tape was not put on by the shipper, but by the USPS after the cap popped off or they opened it.
DSC02800.jpg

So remember....

Package the bat yourself, don't rely on the girlfriend/wife/mistress/random dude at the ups store to do it correctly. (from yem549)

always tape the crap out of the box

use a bat box or triangle box. the triangles are free from the PO.

always get DC and insurance.

always pack the bat tightly to prevent movement

write the name, address AND tracking number ON THE BOX with marker, just in case the label with the address comes off, gets dirty or damaged somehow. (from thejackyl666)

please properly mark out all names and addresses on used boxes before reusing or recycling them. (to deter identity theft) (from kruncyfrogg)

this is taken from the Selling Section...

Mailing Issues:

I typically will use USPS because of the Mail Fraud Laws. But no method is 100% perfect. If you prefer UPS or Fedex, fine, but use these suggested packaging procedures to minimize losses.

1) Take pictures of the items you are sending as proof for insurance.

2) Package the items in a quality box. If it's been used and crushed before, find another box.

3) Securely tape the buyer's address to the item in case it really does 'accidentally' escape the box.

4) Triangle or Square boxes for bats are preferred for several reasons.The round tubes have a history of the cap cutting the tape (or a person) and being received empty. It's harder to identify that the cap has been opened. The triangles are free from usps.gov (order 10 free online to have some on-hand) and these can be better taped closed. If you insist on using a tube, be sure to staple the endcaps in place every two inches, then crisscross the endcaps with strapping tape (see below) and then wrap tape around the tube end to cover the ends of the strapping tape.

5) Use strapping tape rather than box tape... strapping tape has strands of string (maybe fiberglass) running the length of the roll. This is much harder to 'accidentally' break or cut. CHEAP TAPE is no bargain.

6) Tape over the ends of the box, then tape around the end of the box to double secure the tape you put over the ends.

7) Always purchase insurance and delivery confirmation. Include this coverage in your selling price.

8) Notify the buyer when you ship the package. Send an email with the tracking number (and pictures if you have them).

9) The buyer should check the box for weight (that it's not empty) BEFORE they sign for the delivery. If it IS empty, be sure the delivery person signs something that states it was delivered empty!

This could be the best post ever. I do not do much shipping but I when I do I overnight and insure. Please give the courtesy back. This needs to be a sticky for everyone to read.....

here we go with a noob shipping for the first time

received empty tube with no end cap on one side. Look at the other side with one little piece of tape. Wonder why it showed up with no bat...:eek:

chief1B

Addicted to Softballfans
i sent a bat with a pair of the wifes panties in there as stuffing for protection...is that GTG?

^^^^^^^ haha I was cracking up laughing at this. Qoute "That...is...****ing....hilarious...too bad for you though, sorry" I haven't paid him yet because it was his first deal so he shipped first. Poor guy didn't get insurance on the bat either. Bad first taste in his mouth for sure.

Houdini5150

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a box shipped to me in that triangle box from USPS however when you use those and ship with those, you NEED to ship it priority. I ended up having to pay extra shipping when I received my bat. lol. OH well..

received empty tube with no end cap on one side. Look at the other side with one little piece of tape. Wonder why it showed up with no bat...:eek:

it's better than the empty tube i got. the empty tube i got was sealed with priority mail STICKERS! not even tape. needless to say...no bat was inside.