The fine line between being a jerk and playing hard..

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
World tourneys is about the only place that I slide anymore.

This is my rule for diving, either worlds or late in a tourney my days of diving in league ended when I hit 35. Sliding is far less painful than trying to stop quick for me, plus I always wear my sliding pad cause I never know when the instincts are gonna outweigh common sense. Nothing like sliding head first in rec coed with the wife because that stupid little voice in the back of my head that still thinks I'm 22 told me too...... At least I was safe

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
The true issue here is its always the league only rec all stars playing their weekly world series that are stating "I play hard" and do this **** that endangers the middle infielders or does the snap throws that never work and either end up bouncing off the fence or the baserunner and the tournament guy getting pissed because "it's only league" and he has, is, and will be playing much bigger, better meaningful games and doesnt want to end up hurt over beer night league ball. It will always be an issue

Hitman30

The last time i slid in a tourny was to beat out a force out at second in finals of a tournament in the 6th inning...

that was 3 years ago...

Slide to the bag will always be good to go, no matter the league/situation

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
I play middle infield and don't mind a hard slide as long as it's to the bag and certainly not through it (league or tourney). I also don't mind a slide with cleats down (and none of that jump sliding crap where you are in the air more than a normal slide like you are a Kung Fu master) to the side of the bag as long as you can easily reach the bag. But that being said, be on the ground and don't fly past the bag.
In league I slide straight to the bag or peel off to get out of the way. If the SS or 2nd baseman isn't terribly sound at his position, I'm going to be very careful to not contact him.
In tourney's, my cleats are down, I'm stopping on the bag, and I can reach the bag. If it's not even going to be close, I'm simply moving out of the way.