This place used to be the bomb.

blakcherry329

i came in here for one reason... i stayed until i was done... then i left... however, i deleted my thread because country quoted me and changed the quote on a couple of occasions and i got no support from the admins or anybody else... i knew this site was about hitting that's why i never planned on staying... but i didn't expect indifference from some of the people here about some of the things that were said... i came in here to give something away... it would have been nice to have had some support from anyone... :cool:
There used to be a few different pitching threads that were ongoing. One was in the ASA forum another was in the Modified forum. I definitely used some of your information. My curve still sucks😄, but your info gave me a reference point so I can work on it. I appreciated the info, for sure.
I must admit, they were kinda relentless on your posts. Crossing the line a few times, imo. Don't let them scare you off. :)

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I love country. I think he is hilarious. His posts always seemed for the most part good in nature, borderline trolling. Joker was anti-troll, nobody can have fun and if you don’t agree with him he acted like he was for lack of words better than you. But if you’ve ever seen his bp video, anyone that has ever posted here has more talent on the field than that guy ever had.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love country. I think he is hilarious. His posts always seemed for the most part good in nature, borderline trolling. Joker was anti-troll, nobody can have fun and if you don’t agree with him he acted like he was for lack of words better than you. But if you’ve ever seen his bp video, anyone that has ever posted here has more talent on the field than that guy ever had.
I don't know why he took that down. Lol

WiLD53

There used to be a few different pitching threads that were ongoing. One was in the ASA forum another was in the Modified forum. I definitely used some of your information. My curve still sucks😄, but your info gave me a reference point so I can work on it. I appreciated the info, for sure.
I must admit, they were kinda relentless on your posts. Crossing the line a few times, imo. Don't let them scare you off. :)
like i said... i came in here for one reason... no one scared me off... i gave them 2 as well as they gave me... but again... no support from anyone left a bad taste in my mouth... when country quoted me and changed it and no one seemed to think anything was wrong with that... i couldn't stay any longer... to be honest... there are laws against that but there were no rules about it in a forum? i didn't understand that at all... if that's allowed, how would it work out if we all did it? hopefully, that's been changed because that's a can of worms...

actually, i've been working with 2 people from this forum and one of them has developed a great slider... the other decided to go fishing... if you want me to, i will send you the info so you can reference it... or i can repost it.. whichever you prefer... out of everyone, at least you stood up once in a while on my side with them... :cool:

blakcherry329

like i said... i came in here for one reason... no one scared me off... i gave them 2 as well as they gave me... but again... no support from anyone left a bad taste in my mouth... when country quoted me and changed it and no one seemed to think anything was wrong with that... i couldn't stay any longer... to be honest... there are laws against that but there were no rules about it in a forum? i didn't understand that at all... if that's allowed, how would it work out if we all did it? hopefully, that's been changed because that's a can of worms...

actually, i've been working with 2 people from this forum and one of them has developed a great slider... the other decided to go fishing... if you want me to, i will send you the info so you can reference it... or i can repost it.. whichever you prefer... out of everyone, at least you stood up once in a while on my side with them... :cool:
I think there's some posts in the modified section.
You can send me the grips, when you have time. Thanks.
Like I said, they crossed the line a few times, but when you go back and forth with them, it will just keep going.
Never show fear. Always look eye! :D

D-ROCK13

Everyone is here to learn or give advice or buy/sell, don't understand animosity towards anyone here. But man if you can't handle a little conflict or argument then probably shouldn't post anywhere on the net. Trolls are rampant now days and its not going to change...

I've got a great curve and slider, but can't master that dang knuckle ball for crap, it's very hit or miss...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone is here to learn or give advice or buy/sell, don't understand animosity towards anyone here. But man if you can't handle a little conflict or argument then probably shouldn't post anywhere on the net. Trolls are rampant now days and its not going to change...

I've got a great curve and slider, but can't master that dang knuckle ball for crap, it's very hit or miss...
I found three things that got my knuckle over the top. One, I grew out my fingernails. Two, I put the ball flat against my palm. Three, if I needed a strike I threw it by the part where the laces come together. If you throw it like that, even a little spin makes it look like it's wobbling a little so I didn't feel like I was just wasting a pitch. This last one really increased my reps because I could throw it a lot more often.

The nails were the biggest factor, but that alternate grip if I needed a straighter pitch was the second biggest factor. I also don't try any of that wrist locking that people recommend. I throw it like everything else with a tiny flick.

blakcherry329

I'm here for all your knuckleball needs.;)

Here's a thread from 2018, I think.

Everyone has their own way to throw the knuckleball.
1. You do need nails that are just past your finger tips. Not overly long, but enough so you can grip the ball.
WIN_20220131_18_20_58_Pro.jpg
2. I describe the throwing motion to throwing a handful of dirt. That's the flick that you need to counteract the natural rotation of the ball. Unless you use the shot put method.
3. Different grips produce different movement, so it's trial and error to figure out what pitch to use when.
4. I don't put the ball way back in my hand. The ball is basically only hitting my palm right below my index and middle fingers. If you check out that video by Andy Purcell, in that link above, he puts the ball back in the palm. He's basically shot putting, but whatever works. Dif'rent Strokes...
WIN_20220131_18_21_06_Pro.jpg

I might make a video since I'm working from home this week.

D-ROCK13

I throw mine very similar to that, it's just no where near as consistent as my curveball. Alot more balls then strikes it seems

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I throw mine very similar to that, it's just no where near as consistent as my curveball. Alot more balls then strikes it seems
When I hold it by the seams like he is, it doesn't move much right to left. If there's a cross wind, that obviously changes. If I put those three fingers around the horse shoe and throw it right, it goes everywhere.

Palm angle is another factor. If my palm is completely facing up right after release, it goes crazy. If I throw it with my palm at about 45 degrees to the ground, it moves differently. By about the third inning I have a better idea of where things are going based on the wind at that time and can adjust accordingly.

medic43

Addicted to Softballfans
I remember those days for sure. Now its sad to go on the selling section and see the newest thread from a year ago sometimes. Bummer. Nothing like the times of having to bump your thread numerous times a day, otherwise you'd be buried a page or two deep by the end of the day.

blakcherry329

if you have to take more time getting your grip on a knuckleball it's not as effective. something to keep in mind.
Definitely. Sometimes, in my modified games, I'll show a knuckleball grip on the backswing and switch right before release the throw a "fastball"(that's in quotes because my fastball tops out at about 45-50). I do the reverse too. It's gotta be unconscious to be effective. Can't tip your pitches

fivehole

Pimptastic Player
I agree that Facebook was the downfall of this forum. At one time this was the place to find out about everything softball related. Now it’s Facebook. This place was absolutely the best place at one time. Kinda sad now.
I was also surprised that I joined April 2003. That was so long ago. I played on Softballfans tourney team for a few years also. Good memories

Last edited:

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
There are a number of things that bring about the downfall of a product such as this.

#1. Most forums are dying. Its not because people are less jerks and driving people off even though it may appear that way. Social Media has allowed a person to aggregate all of their interests into 1 platform. I can scroll through softball stuff, fishing stuff, golf stuff all on one site. and since I'm lazy thats what I do.

#2. some of the people that began this journey late 00's to early 10's are now likely 40+ years old. I have very little time to be on stuff like this than when I was just a peon employee with a small young family. Many have just moved past it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that Facebook was the downfall of this forum. At one time this was the place to find out about everything softball related. Now it’s Facebook. This place was absolutely the best place at one time. Kinda sad now.
I was also surprised that I joined April 2003. That was so long ago. I played on Softballfans tourney team for a few years also. Good memories
The only thing I'll give FB for knowledge is all the ridiculous exclusives. The main reason I don't care about that is they want two hundred over sticker for them, and they all appear to be repaints.

Everything else, FB is like the fields. Just look at all the posts saying 220s were going to be banned this year, etc.