USSSA Three Base Collision Ruling Needed

What should be the outcome from the play?

• Safely advanced to home plate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phenomrcapone

Men's Adult Slo-Pitch Softball Situation:

Two outs, No base runners! Batter base to outfield; batter rounds second as the fielder throws to toward cut which is relayed toward third. Base runner slides into third and is clearly safe but as the runner is ascending to his feet the third base men jumps for the ball in order to catch any errant throw and kicks the base runner is the head, it was declared accidental contact. After being struck in the head by the fielder foot, the base runner rolls to the ground off the bag in 'obvious pain' but the third base had gathered the ball enough and tagged the base runner. What should be the call and please help cite the ruling. Thanks in advance!

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
My ruling would be that when the runner was kicked in the head I called time due to the injury.

Stopping play due to an injured player is entirely at the umpire's discretion. The rules allow it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree with Bret. Kicking someone in the head is the same as pushing them off the base. The runner coming off of the base were not the result of their own actions, but rather those of the defense.