ASA Time Limit - End of Game

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
2 outs, bottom of the 4th inning, visiting team leading. With 3 seconds remaining on the game clock (50-minute time limit), the batter hits a ground ball to F3. While F3 is in the process of fielding the ball, time expires. After time has expired, F3 steps on first base to record the final out of the inning.

The rule about the time limit explicitly states: "No inning shall start after the time limit." Based upon this wording, and the fact that the 4th inning ended after time expired, the home team felt that the game should be over. However, the umpires ruled that another inning should be played because the ball was put into play before the time expired.

I know getting any citation on this will be difficult as the rulebook is written for championship play and time limits are not used. However, I did see an indication about time limits for JO play with the same language about no inning starting after the time limit. Any information about the proper interpretation of this language would be greatly appreciated.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The inning ends once the third out is made, time limit expired before the third out was made, game over.

lb16

the natural
What kind of dumba__ umpire wants to call another inning when they aren't supposed to?

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
What kind of silly rulebook allows a new inning to start right up to the time limit? My league doesn't allow new innings to start within 5 minutes of the end a game's time length.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
What kind of silly rulebook allows a new inning to start right up to the time limit? My league doesn't allow new innings to start within 5 minutes of the end a game's time length.
The rulebook allows all innings started to finish. Unless you're using a drop dead time limit, it's much sillier to say we are playing 60 minutes, but no new inning can start after 55. But if you start the inning you can finish it and go past the 60 minute time limit. Seems much simpler to say no new inning can start after 55 minutes.