TO CHEAT OR NOT A CHEAT

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's the scene.Big game for us if we win we are first place in the season for our senior league in pompano , fl

we are visitors, we play through 4 complete and start the top of the fifth in a 7 inning game. game stopped lightening warning.we are up by 3

game picks up on tuesday . now a major player for the other team who was not there for the original game shows up. they want to play him, we say nope, only those who played the original 4 innings can finish the game.they insist and we have to concede otherwise we forfeit and come in possibly second.

question, should the other team have been able to add players to their team to finish.If not why , if yes why,

we won it in the 10th, but still

Joker

it's a league game, people can have other commitments. if they are on the roster they can play

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I guess look at it as if he had showed up late halfway through the game. Would he had been able to play then?

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
My thought is if he is on their roster, then he's legal. Had the same thing happen a couple of times before and that was our ruling anyway.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's the scene.Big game for us if we win we are first place in the season for our senior league in pompano , fl

we are visitors, we play through 4 complete and start the top of the fifth in a 7 inning game. game stopped lightening warning.we are up by 3

game picks up on tuesday . now a major player for the other team who was not there for the original game shows up. they want to play him, we say nope, only those who played the original 4 innings can finish the game.they insist and we have to concede otherwise we forfeit and come in possibly second.

question, should the other team have been able to add players to their team to finish.If not why , if yes why,

we won it in the 10th, but still

As long as that player is on their roster, absolutely should be allowed to participate as a substitute Why? Because, unless you have something local that states otherwise, he is allowed to be by rule.

BTW, this isn't cheating by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess look at it as if he had showed up late halfway through the game. Would he had been able to play then?
we had a rule that has been questioned. If you don't make it by the 3 rd inning you can't play. this has been interpreted by their team in a different way

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a dumb rule, but if that's the rule he's not allowed to play. Is reading comprehension so hard? How do you interpret that as anything else? How do you make a rule about substituting in a player based on what inning it is to.

This guy was a sub, right? They didn't just try and say we want to play with 11 now did they?

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
That's a dumb rule, but if that's the rule he's not allowed to play. Is reading comprehension so hard? How do you interpret that as anything else? How do you make a rule about substituting in a player based on what inning it is to.

This guy was a sub, right? They didn't just try and say we want to play with 11 now did they?

If we had played the full game the previous Tuesday he would not have played at all, since he didn't show up that day.

no he was a starter .the rule was made I think so guys would have an incentive to get to the field on time so guys would'nt just show up and cause a team to play shorthanded

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
If we had played the full game the previous Tuesday he would not have played at all, since he didn't show up that day.

no he was a starter .the rule was made I think so guys would have an incentive to get to the field on time so guys would'nt just show up and cause a team to play shorthanded
If the game had been played in whole on Tuesday he would have never played,
So the way I see it this gave them an advantage they would not normally have

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is irrelevant. Without your league's rule you can sub a player in at any point in the game.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
This is irrelevant. Without your league's rule you can sub a player in at any point in the game.[/QUOTE

good point, I guess, they will have to address this at the rule committee. For me it's play with what ya game with, but I could be wrong

jpengwyn25

Addicted to Softballfans
This whole thing seems weird to me. Why should a guy that's on their roster not be allowed to play? Also, it seems like your issue isn't necessarily when it happened, but who. If your league has some weird rules like you've implied, then fine don't let him play, otherwise I see no reason. Also, ask yourself this, if the situation were the opposite would you guys have even cared? By that I mean, what if one of their better players couldn't show up for the makeup and was replaced by a scrub. Would you guys have said a word?

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
This whole thing seems weird to me. Why should a guy that's on their roster not be allowed to play? Also, it seems like your issue isn't necessarily when it happened, but who. If your league has some weird rules like you've implied, then fine don't let him play, otherwise, I see no reason. Also, ask yourself this, if the situation were the opposite would you guys have even cared? By that I mean, what if one of their better players couldn't show up for the makeup and was replaced by a scrub. Would you guys have said a word?
well it happens that one of our lesser players showed up and he had to be put in, what does that mean that if the game had continued that day then neither player, by the way, they added 2 players and a and b player, would have been there and they would not have been an issue. And yes I believe the way the pins were set for the spare should not be moved and played the way they fell.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I agree he should be allowed to play if he's been a regular on that team all season, but if your rules say otherwise then I guess not. I think anytime a game has to be moved/finished on another day then the expectation of having the same players should be waived. Odds are good that someone that played the first day can't make it for the finish, and obviously the reverse is true. They caught a lucky break that the game was postponed but you still won so there's that....

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
well it happens that one of our lesser players showed up and he had to be put in, what does that mean that if the game had continued that day then neither player,

You need to get over this. The game didn't finish that day and if you want to blame god, knock yourself out. Otherwise, there is no reason a rostered player should be kept out of his/her teams game.

by the way, they added 2 players and a and b player, would have been there and they would not have been an issue. And yes I believe the way the pins were set for the spare should not be moved and played the way they fell.

I'm surprised someone hasn't offered you a good cheese by now.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Doesn't matter if the game was stopped for 2 hours and resumed, or 2 days and resumed. It's a continuation of the game, and if someone shows up ready to play, then they're allowed into the game under the rules you agreed upon at the start of the season. Doesn't matter if he's their ringer or worst player.

I call a lot of senior ball, and I swear I hear more whining about these sorts of issues in senior ball than I do anywhere else. Stop worrying about things that don't really matter. You're alive, you've got the sun on your face, a glove in your hand, and you're still playing ball.

What more can you ask for?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm all for a good cheating thread, but never heard someone say they thought subbing in a player on the teams roster was cheating. Especially to have him admit that his own team played a guy that wasn't there too.

JabNblue

I agree. If said player is on the roster then they can use him as a substitute. Completely legal
We can't predict who will and who won't play. If they are on the roster they can play. What if the person who asked discovered on the makeup game they were going to have people out? You would replace with someone else from your roster. Take the good with the bad. But congrats on the win.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
No spice at all in this thread. Did the guy show up and hit missiles out of the park? Did he throw frozen ropes from deep CF to nail your runners? Does he even lift, bro?