Today's Play

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Play: With no outs and R1 on 1B, B2 hits the ball up the middle of the infield. F6 dives for the ball and falls down close to 2B as F4 covers 2B waiting on the toss from F6. F6 reaches toward F4 and without letting go of the ball, puts the ball into the F4’s glove as the runner slides into 2B.

ureout

The Veteran
if in my judgement f4 closed the glove and showed control of the ball even with f6's hand in it, and it was done before the runner tagged the bag I'd have an out

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Ruling: R1 is safe at 2B since F6 has not relinquished control of the ball to F4. Even though the ball is in F4’s glove, F4 does not have control and the runner should be called safe.

ureout

The Veteran
Ruling: R1 is safe at 2B since F6 has not relinquished control of the ball to F4. Even though the ball is in F4’s glove, F4 does not have control and the runner should be called safe.

that's why in my answer I said runner is out ... IF F4 SHOWED CONTROL.. in your scenario you didn't say either way

ureout

The Veteran
ureout, this was stated in my original post "F6 reaches toward F4 and without letting go of the ball".

yes and if f4 was able to close his glove over F6s hand and show control I would have an out... yet the scenario is far fetched but it could happen

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
It was taken out of the USA Softball Rules and Clarification site. And as stated, if F6 had not relinquished control of the ball then F4 could not have possession. You might have a difficult time selling the call that way. I'm just posting interesting plays from the USA softball site. Plays which might help or enlighten our brothers in blue, myself included.

ureout

The Veteran
It was taken out of the USA Softball Rules and Clarification site. And as stated, if F6 had not relinquished control of the ball then F4 could not have possession. You might have a difficult time selling the call that way. I'm just posting interesting plays from the USA softball site. Plays which might help or enlighten our brothers in blue, myself included.

yes I understand and appreciate the scenarios... IMO it would be umpire judgement whether f6 relinquished control and again IMO if F4 closed his glove around the ball and F4's hand that would be good IMO... I would have an out

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
In the original post is says "F6 reaches toward F4 and without letting go of the ball...". If this is the case, then there is nothing to "judge" as it already says F6 did not let go of the ball.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I’d say that only one fielder can have control of the ball at a time.

You must have control of the ball to voluntarily release it. But how can you voluntarily release it if somebody else has control of it? Control means that the ball is securely held in the hand or glove. If somebody else is holding it, that means that you don’t have control of it.

On this play, until F6 releases the ball, F4 doesn’t have control of it.