Trail Shoe Question

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I used to run a lot of endurance events and have worn plenty of trail shoes. Some of my favorites are made by Icebug. My question is if their shoes with the carbide studded bottoms would be allowable. The studs are very small and blunt. I know metal spikes are frowned upon in slowpitch, but i was curious peoples thoughts on something like this. I play outfield and am just looking for some more traction on wetter grass.
I'd be curious what the actual rulebook rule is about metal spikes too if anyone knows where its at.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
So I found the usssa shoe ruling. Article 8, section 9. The only mention is that "metal cleats" are prohibited. Then it mentions that any shoe projections that aren't part of the shoe are prohibited. I'm genuinely curious how people would view this. I can only imagine that hearing a metal click sound on concrete would raise red flags unfortunately.
I will also note, that I wouldn't be using these on any turf fields.

blakcherry329

I don't think these really even pose a threat to anyone's safety. The "nubs" are miniscule.
Much ado about nothing, imo.
You must be in HR or an Atty or something. lol

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I feel you're overthinking the entire thing. Just wear them until you get caught. You should be fine.

I don't think these really even pose a threat to anyone's safety. The "nubs" are miniscule.
Much ado about nothing, imo.
You must be in HR or an Atty or something. lol

Should be an ejection if found.
And to BC's response, they are miniscule, so would they even provide the added traction in wet grass he's looking for over other options on the market, most of which are more affordable as well?

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Should be an ejection if found.
And to BC's response, they are miniscule, so would they even provide the added traction in wet grass he's looking for over other options on the market, most of which are more affordable as well?
But why would they be an ejection ? This is the discussion I'm looking for. As i said previously, I run a lot of trail based endurance events and those little miniscule nubs provide quite a bit extra grip. Especially in wet and icy conditions. As said in the rulebook, "metal CLEATS are prohibited". Do these fit the description of being "cleats". I say no.
I'll probably just end up getting the Altra Lone Peaks since my Speedcrosses just don't seem to last anymore.

Slim45

Odd are no one says anything until the first time you accidentally (or intentionally since I don't know how much effort you put into the game) slide into someone or step on a foot or hand. If/when that happens there will be a big blow up on the field which will probably lead to consequences beyond just taking them off. The question is, as always in this stupid game, is the benefit to doing something against the rules (even if it is minor) worth the fight if you get caught?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
But why would they be an ejection ? This is the discussion I'm looking for. As i said previously, I run a lot of trail based endurance events and those little miniscule nubs provide quite a bit extra grip. Especially in wet and icy conditions. As said in the rulebook, "metal CLEATS are prohibited". Do these fit the description of being "cleats". I say no.
I'll probably just end up getting the Altra Lone Peaks since my Speedcrosses just don't seem to last anymore.

I can see the extra grip in icy conditions, just not sure about in the world of regular softball.....and by regular, I mean the games not played on ice rinks. If you ran them down your leg with some level of force, would they do any damage to skin and/or pants? I know my trails would not.

Definitions of 'cleat' - one of a number of projecting pieces of metal, rubber, or other material on the sole of a shoe, designed to prevent the wearer from losing their footing.

Sounds like they fit the definition.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I can see the extra grip in icy conditions, just not sure about in the world of regular softball.....and by regular, I mean the games not played on ice rinks. If you ran them down your leg with some level of force, would they do any damage to skin and/or pants? I know my trails would not.

Definitions of 'cleat' - one of a number of projecting pieces of metal, rubber, or other material on the sole of a shoe, designed to prevent the wearer from losing their footing.

Sounds like they fit the definition.
Wet outfield grass is my concern, and the reason this whole discussion started. I see both sides and don't play crazy enough on the base paths to injure someone. I wouldn't be concerned with injuring another player ever, but I just wondering if people would actually call it out and make a stink of it. Seems by the way people voice their opinions here, they would. Which is totally fine.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Carbide tips = metal, metal cleats shoes or whatever you want to call them are not allowed in slowpitch softball pretty simple. I would call you out if I saw/heard the metal on your shoe, if anyone/everyone is/are not allowed to use them why would you be exempt.

blakcherry329

The bottom line is odds are nobody is checking any trail runners for the grip and the nubs aren't really noticeable unless a check is performed.
So is the juice worth the squeeze? That's the question. imo, no, because there's a veritable plethora of trail runners that will give you the same grip, so no need to go that route. Your opinion may vary. ;)

Last edited:

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I ended up going with Altra Lone Peak 6s. Lighter than my Salomons and definitely roomier for my wider feet. I like them so far after just one game.