U Trip Pitching ?

hoosier419

Starting Player
Ok so we play very little U Trip per year but have played enough over the years to see some crazy pitches. Including this weekend our pitcher delivering a under the legs called 1st strike then a double windmill swing and miss walk off strike out. made our ASA pitcher's career. as we have played more and more U Trip his confidence grows and the more creative he gets. He decided today to throw his glove off his hand BEHIND the ball. So pitch is delivered and as its coming glove comes off other hand towards plate. WHY? I have no idea. Batter swings and fouls out. Other team erupts. umpire made no call other than out. The other team plays U Trip and says you cant throw the glove or pitch is illegal. Our point was OK it's illegal batter still swung. Ump as usual has no idea what to do so he leaves the field to meet with TD and another Ump. They return and award the batter 1st and we continue the inning.

Sorry so long but what should have been the correct call and did the Ump get it right. We have no idea as an ASA team.

chillywilly777

Addicted to Softballfans
Next time just have your pitcher throw his glove at the batter while the pitch is on its way. I'm sure that's legal.

hoosier419

Starting Player
that was the explanation they gave us and what the other team was saying by the glove coming towards the plate it was interference.............and for those of you thinking he heaved the glove at the plate, he basically swung his glove hand behind the pitch and released his glove off his hand glove landed maybe 5 ft in front of him. I understand he is an idiot and every other name coming up. my question is on the ruling.

Jshadinger22

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen it done before so I didn't even think it was illegal - either way a swings a swing even if ump calls illegal as it is in every case where that call is made

chev17

Addicted to Softballfans
It is illegal but the batter should have been out. As long as he swings it doesnt matter. I've pitched from 5' in front of the rubber and all the way back from 2nd base and got outs. It's all good if the batter swings.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not an illegal pitch... It is an Unfairly delivered pitch... The batter has the option of swinging and taking the results of the swing, or NOT swinging and taking the chance that the umpire will call it an unfairly delivered pitch and give the batter a Ball...

s2ntburd

Addicted to Softballfans
Is that pitcher trying to get killed!!! If it was any good team or a good batter the pitcher would be hurting. Alot of utrip pitchers wear masks with a glove...lol next time just tell him to turn his back and throw it behind him.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Is that pitcher trying to get killed!!! If it was any good team or a good batter the pitcher would be hurting. Alot of utrip pitchers wear masks with a glove...lol next time just tell him to turn his back and throw it behind him.

Doubtfull... IF it was a good batter he wouldn't even swing at it... Just because a pitcher doesn't have his glove on doesn't mean he can't stop a ball...

Most good batters go up to the plate with an ideal of where they are going to hit the ball.. Very few if any go up to bat with the idea of hitting it right at the pitcher... In Utrip that would actually be an easy out hitting it right back up the middle... (most utrip pitchers can actually field the middle...) Even if the pitcher doesn't have a glove on he will still field the ball somehow even if it means knocking down with his body....

JC17

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played at the "C" and "B" level for a cpl years now and have pitched an cpl games and i will be damned if i threw my glove off that i would try to catch it or stop it with my body. hard enough with a glove. with the bats now days and the idiots swinging them i would def wear some protection (ex..shin guards and a mask). and tell him to keep his glove on. I know you have to have some screws loose to pitch but im sure he also has a family to think about.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played at the "C" and "B" level for a cpl years now and have pitched an cpl games and i will be damned if i threw my glove off that i would try to catch it or stop it with my body. hard enough with a glove. with the bats now days and the idiots swinging them i would def wear some protection (ex..shin guards and a mask). and tell him to keep his glove on. I know you have to have some screws loose to pitch but im sure he also has a family to think about.

This is true for C and B level... But I am pretty sure judging by the reactions of the other team that this is not C or B level... it would be lucky to be E level... So bat control is probably not one of their skill sets yet....

s2ntburd

Addicted to Softballfans
Doubtfull... IF it was a good batter he wouldn't even swing at it... Just because a pitcher doesn't have his glove on doesn't mean he can't stop a ball...

Most good batters go up to the plate with an ideal of where they are going to hit the ball.. Very few if any go up to bat with the idea of hitting it right at the pitcher... In Utrip that would actually be an easy out hitting it right back up the middle... (most utrip pitchers can actually field the middle...) Even if the pitcher doesn't have a glove on he will still field the ball somehow even if it means knocking down with his body....

most good hitters would consider this a dk move and try to hit the pitcher where i play...

bearski

Addicted to Softballfans
i already told u the answer on this.did u repost it? if its a illegal pitch and you swing and miss its a strike.if u make contact ball is in play. only way its a ball is if he dont swing then they will give u a ball

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats the way to do it if you wanna see instant change...

Yeah you will see instant change alright... But it may not be change that you batters are wanting... Because once I know as a pitcher that what I am doing is altering where you really want to hit the ball and are changing your game to just try and hit me, or is it "send a message", well then I will just up the performance to antagonize the batter even more...

The best way to get a pitcher to stop all of the shenanigans is to just simply ignore it and go about your business and hit the ball....

shortknocker10

@JJR12

I'm sorry dude u are incorrect.. i play at the C/D level and i know for sure that if i hit a ball the way i have done plenty of times then the pitcher is not fielding it without his glove.. let alone knocking it down with his body.. he may knock it down but he's not getting back up.. if he does manage to pull off either one of these feats then he will be sidelined for a while.. thats just dumb.. i'm just sayin.....

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I am pretty sure the ruling involves the thrown glove rule in IF/OF
plus interference or unsportsmans-like conduct or safety equipment
violation (like can't play w/ no shoes, pants, shirt and glove).
I'd say illegal pitch and a 1st warning to pitcher.
2nd warning and he's gone.

Prodigy5883

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter doesnt swing, illegal pitch, batter swings-legal pitch. Just like if a pitcher those a 35 ft arch in UTRIP and the ump yells "illegal pitch" if the batter swings at it, its all fair game. The glove coming off the hand doesn't mean anything, its just a distraction technique and usually if hit hard enough, pitcher isn't getting in the way or hes leaving the field with a few broken fingers. The main objective of this is to get the batter to concentrate more on glove coming off the hand so he can not make good connection with the ball and hopefully pops up or hits a 30 hopper to his infield. I heard of pitchers kicking their shoe off to distract the batter, seen a guy break dance, etc. If that ever happens to me, I am aiming for the item coming off, If I hit it 3 base error :D...

NEWBILL

Banned User
Batter doesnt swing, illegal pitch, batter swings-legal pitch. Just like if a pitcher those a 35 ft arch in UTRIP and the ump yells "illegal pitch" if the batter swings at it, its all fair game. The glove coming off the hand doesn't mean anything, its just a distraction technique and usually if hit hard enough, pitcher isn't getting in the way or hes leaving the field with a few broken fingers. The main objective of this is to get the batter to concentrate more on glove coming off the hand so he can not make good connection with the ball and hopefully pops up or hits a 30 hopper to his infield. I heard of pitchers kicking their shoe off to distract the batter, seen a guy break dance, etc. If that ever happens to me, I am aiming for the item coming off, If I hit it 3 base error :D...

Funny you said "hit the object dropped".. That is exactly what I was thinking..

TK8

Addicted to Softballfans
If u play a five man the pitcher dont need a glove just get out of the way