UMP BLOCKS PATH TO BALL

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
ok , so today we are playing a weekend tournament.I am playing second and a ball is hit between first and second to my left.I have a chance to at least stop it if not grab it and make a play to first.However, for some mysterious reason, the second base ump is standing directly to my left.I would have had to run into him and possibly injuring one or both of us in making the play.I asked him what he is doing standing so close, I could have ran into him.He says well you should have done it, that's your call.I just looked at him. What's happening here.I never encountered that before.
What 's your take?

Seniors 50's/60's

Joker

Look where the ump is before the ball is pitched. Ask him to move or move yourself if it's a problem

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpire is part of the field. His mistake to be there, your mistake in not knowing where he was. What is he going to do, call an out against your opponent because he was an idiot?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
ok , so today we are playing a weekend tournament.I am playing second and a ball is hit between first and second to my left.I have a chance to at least stop it if not grab it and make a play to first.However, for some mysterious reason, the second base ump is standing directly to my left.I would have had to run into him and possibly injuring one or both of us in making the play.I asked him what he is doing standing so close, I could have ran into him.He says well you should have done it, that's your call.I just looked at him. What's happening here.I never encountered that before.
What 's your take?

Seniors 50's/60's

Depends on how deep you were playing. Speaking ASA(USA), the umpire is to never be between the batted ball and the fielder when setting up. However, some infielders play so deep, it takes the BU out of any position to get a decent angle and distance on a call.

For the purpose of positioning, an umpire must stay behind the defense and avoid a possible INT. Due to the deep play, and for the purpose of this rule, positioning oneself behind a direct line between the defender on each side of the position is acceptable. Therefore, if you have one infielder playing up and his/her neighbor playing back, is it possible to have an umpire, properly positioned, in front or alongside a defender.

I don't know if that was your situation, but if it was, that may be why.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on how deep you were playing. Speaking ASA(USA), the umpire is to never be between the batted ball and the fielder when setting up. However, some infielders play so deep, it takes the BU out of any position to get a decent angle and distance on a call.

For the purpose of positioning, an umpire must stay behind the defense and avoid a possible INT. Due to the deep play, and for the purpose of this rule, positioning oneself behind a direct line between the defender on each side of the position is acceptable. Therefore, if you have one infielder playing up and his/her neighbor playing back, is it possible to have an umpire, properly positioned, in front or alongside a defender.

I don't know if that was your situation, but if it was, that may be why.
Sorry let me clarify, I agree with you, there was a guy on first so I was playing up for either a cover at 2 or a possible double play ball.I did not see the ump at first, he must have moved up after I got in position.If I am following the batter, it a bit much for me to take my view off the upcoming play, after I do not see him on my peripheral .