Umpire Equipment

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Not necessarily softball related but I got roped into umpiring for the local little league 3 days a week. I have no gear and don't want to break the bank on gear bc I'm not sure I'm even going to want to do this again in the future. What do I need? What's decent for a fair price? What's too cheap and a waste of money? Where's the best place to buy from?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I would go with something like this. https://www.ondecksports.com/Complete-Umpire-Pack-1 That is everything you need other than pants, shirts, belt and shoes. Depending on the age range you might be able to get by without actual plate shoes, but for anything puberty or after I'd want a pair of New Balance plate shoes.
If you have a Play It Again Sports in your area you can usually find some gear there rather than buying all new.

Play it Again Sports mentioned above is always a good option because you can see and try on also for fit. Ebay and Facebook Marketplace are also good options. Local high school coach may have extra mask, chest protector, shin guards that you might borrow also especially when you tell him you are volunteering for youth umpire duties - watch out for the "Karens" in the stands

PS - i left out a cup, outside of a good facemask, this is next

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm very tight with the president and treasurer of the league. They're having a board meeting tonight and are going to discuss supplying umpires with everything. Apparently they got A LOT of donations and sponsorships this season.

MaverickAH

Not necessarily softball related but I got roped into umpiring for the local little league 3 days a week. I have no gear and don't want to break the bank on gear bc I'm not sure I'm even going to want to do this again in the future. What do I need? What's decent for a fair price? What's too cheap and a waste of money? Where's the best place to buy from?

I recommend two websites if you're looking for umpire equipment (& more....).
1. Epic Sports
They supply a lot of schools & associations with everything from uniforms to field equipment, so their pricing tends to be on the reasonable side. Stick to a brands like Adams, Champro, Diamond, Richardson who makes solid umpire equipment, especially for the age group you're covering. I'd say that they're good for up to H.S. as well. Check their 'Closeout' section first.

2.Smitty Outlet Store
Very good for umpire uniforms at discount pricing. Now is a tough time to find anything there as Spring is in full effect & a lot of stuff is already sold out. The best time to hit them up is in the fall & winter when supplies are usually plentiful. Don't be afraid to purchase "Seconds", as I've never had a problem with quality.

Tip
There's no need to go through the expense of getting plate shoes. Get yourself a good work shoe or sneaker instead. Something like a New Balance 626 or 627 that has a steel or composite toe. Reebok also makes some good ones that can often be found at a discount. You combine them with shin guards that have an instep protector (they mostly come with them anyway) & you're fully covered. The best thing is that now you have a shoe that can also serve as a field shoe & for regular street use! An additional benefit is that this now lightens the load you're carrying! This has become my preferred method when doing youth baseball or girl's fastpitch softball. I have plate shoes & the only time I actually use them now is for official tournaments or upper level games.