Other Umpired my first games last night

JLamb

Addicted to Softballfans
I umpired my first games (training at BLD) and didn't get yelled at too much. Anyone have any tips on how to train your brain on umping not playing?

Example, no issues with calling foul balls, but a couple of times, I yelled fair ball as well. My trainer said I should only indicate a fair ball and yell only for a foul ball.

Other than that my trainer said I did well.

Thanks in advance.

spos21ram

The Legend
You'll get use to it. I'm the opposite now. When I catch, i have to catch myself sometimes not to say strike or ball, or foul ball. Biggest things teams/players want to see out of an ump is hustle (especially if umping alone), and consistency. As for hustling and getting in position...it's hard for a team to argue a call when you as the ump are right on top of the play.

whogotz

dilligaf?
consistency, honesty, hustle. you're human and prone to error. also, i would say dont take too much crap, because guys will try to walk all over you and will lose respect. but have a sense of humor if someone busts your chops humorously.

wait a second - you've played - you know this already.

PHXCobra

Addicted to Softballfans
What Scoot said, don't make the call too early. It's ok to wait a tick to actually make a call just to replay it in your head. Also, every time I umpire I think about at least one thing I could have done better. Whether it be taking a couple extra steps on a fly ball, or better positioning on a play, or strike zone.

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
What Scoot said, don't make the call too early. It's ok to wait a tick to actually make a call just to replay it in your head. Also, every time I umpire I think about at least one thing I could have done better. Whether it be taking a couple extra steps on a fly ball, or better positioning on a play, or strike zone.

Or keeping track on the runs! :p

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Think about umpires you've had in the past, and what you liked/didn't like about them. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the ones you liked hustled to make sure they were in position, were consistent with their balls/strikes, kept the game moving smoothly, and maintained control of the game without being a tyrant.

JLamb

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks guys for the advice.

I definitely want to make sure I am in the correct position to make the right call. Had a pitcher gripe about the halo rule last night because I called one his guys out on it the inning before but the one at him was clearly out of the box.

Again thanks all, and I am will seek more advice in the future.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I definitely want to make sure I am in the correct position to make the right call. Had a pitcher gripe about the halo rule last night because I called one his guys out on it the inning before but the one at him was clearly out of the box.

Again thanks all, and I am will seek more advice in the future.

Feel free to pop by the forum in my signature if you have any umpiring questions. :)

Katzy63

The Veteran
BLD umpires take more crap from the players than I've ever experienced, and I've been calling games for 30 years.

Welcome to the BLD brotherhood of underpaid and under appreciated umpires! The only bonus is consistent work since they have upwards of 5 games a night, 6 nights a week.
Make sure to have a plate meeting each and every game to go over the little things everyone gripes about (orange bag, pitchers box, beer in dugout, i.e.) and hustle. Remember your angles, and always have backup balls ready, assuming you were able to pry any loose from either team to keep the game moving along.

mtiefenb

Manager
I dont think the umps could get any worse at BLD so you should be fine ha. We play out there on sunday nights

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
The umps I appreciated the most had enough humility to make sure they got the call right, and weren't afraid to change their call, in order to get it right. Integrity of the game, not the umpire, is paramount, and if that is the focus, the integrity fo the umpire automatically increases. These are the guys that go un-noticed, don't try to take over a game, and in my book, are the very best.

I umped NSA and the hardest time I had was judging arcs. I learned it's a lot of work when you want to try to do it right. I was running all over the place to try to get in good positions for calls. After that I had a lot more respect for umps that try to make the right calls (by position and otherwise) and less for those that don't.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Angle over distance. Meaning its better to have a good angle on the play than to be at a bad angle and right on top of it. Distance can be your best friend at times.

Work on your mechanics at home. Look in the mirror and work on your strike call. Know when to sell a call and when it isn't needed. Selling routine plays will make you catch a lot a grief from players as it can be seen as you showing them up.

Call what you see, not what you think you saw. Know what you're seeing before you call it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A few pointers I always give:

1) Don't feel that you have to make the bang-bang calls right away. Slow down your calls, and work on a calling at a good rhythm. To do that, assume that the defense will drop the ball, and wait for them to prove to you that they didn't drop it. Then, make the call.

2) Keep the routine calls routine, and sell the close ones. And always keep a "little something in reserve" for those REALLY close ones that could shift the momentum of a game.

3) I agree with jsam - angle over distance. If you can't close the distance, try to get the best angle to the play. Former players tend to try to get to the play, rather than to the best angle to see the play. Work to get a good 90° angle on the play, and you'll see everything a lot better.