Unauthorized Use of Manufacturer's logos

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks like it doesn't pay to come on the board to be a "Me Too." I think there's plenty of business on this board and outside of it to not have to do things because everyone else is. If we all love softball, we'll support the manufacturers who help grow it and make it the recognized sport that it is. Let's keep the game honest.

VMI97

Proto-typical "SLOT 2"
Agreed, but a lot of guys feel they spend tons of money on their products, so makn a jersey w/ thier logo is justified.

alteredzx

Bazinga
Looks like it doesn't pay to come on the board to be a "Me Too." I think there's plenty of business on this board and outside of it to not have to do things because everyone else is. If we all love softball, we'll support the manufacturers who help grow it and make it the recognized sport that it is. Let's keep the game honest.

Me too! I feel the same way. haha!! Support the companies as they support the players.

sjury

The Old Man
What do you mean Unauthorized use of Manufacturers Logos? What about a lot of the stuff people make with comic book characters, MLB, NFL, NCAA etc. logos or replications of them, movie star images, quotes, and likenesses? Not everyone does it. Sooner or later someone is going to get caught and it's going to hurt everyone.

TouchdownJesus

Addicted to Softballfans
I beleive the difference is in a logo or name being either trademarked or copyrighted. Using a logo or name for profit is illegal, using a name or logo that is copyrighted I believe is illegal as copyright provides ownership to a certain person or entity. Using a trademarked logo or name is not illegal as long as the only profit that is made is made by the individual or entity taht has the trademark established. I may have this backwards but I think this is close.

Look at the high school athletic teams in your area, I know in my area, there is use of the Seahawks logo, Miami Hurricane logo, and Atlanta Falcon logo, but if you buy something from one of these school stores, there is nothing for sale with these logos on it, these logos are only used on the football helmets or baseball hats.

grubd

Banned User
I beleive the difference is in a logo or name being either trademarked or copyrighted. Using a logo or name for profit is illegal, using a name or logo that is copyrighted I believe is illegal as copyright provides ownership to a certain person or entity. Using a trademarked logo or name is not illegal as long as the only profit that is made is made by the individual or entity taht has the trademark established. I may have this backwards but I think this is close.

Look at the high school athletic teams in your area, I know in my area, there is use of the Seahawks logo, Miami Hurricane logo, and Atlanta Falcon logo, but if you buy something from one of these school stores, there is nothing for sale with these logos on it, these logos are only used on the football helmets or baseball hats.

Aka the whole utica school district. I always wondered about that.

Yatzeelogoz

Stop it Stoopit
Trust me this is very real...I have designed some killer worth full subs that never saw the light of day...If gotten phone calls to my house and cell telling me not to produce the garments...

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
It shouldn't be limited to softball brands either. IJS. Designers need to be ethical no matter how many people want something as a buy in. IJS.

noodle

At my signal unleash hell
you will be surprised if you take the time to mock it up and send it to the company and explain what is going on. For instance the Budweiser jerseys, it took 4 emails a couple of phone calls and i was able to get the go ahead.. I had to take the jersey to a local distributor, for review, who then put an order in for 13 jerseys for the company team..

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
you will be surprised if you take the time to mock it up and send it to the company and explain what is going on. For instance the Budweiser jerseys, it took 4 emails a couple of phone calls and i was able to get the go ahead.. I had to take the jersey to a local distributor, for review, who then put an order in for 13 jerseys for the company team..

Sounds like everybody won on that deal.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
do you guys have to sign authorization notice or just keep records of an email?

sjury

The Old Man
When I worked in marketing an email, from a corporate email account, or letter, on company letterhead, was sufficient permission to use a logo. But it was a one time thing. If Coca Cola let us use their logo for a State Fair sign, or a bowling alley ad. That didn't give us permission to make coasters and hats with Coke's logos.

I would assume it's the same for uniforms and hats here. You would need permission every time you would use the logo. Even if ,lets say Worth, lets you make hats with their logo, that doesn't mean you can make shirts and towels, unless it says it in your letter.

Copyrighted and trademarked logos and sayings and even the likenesses of those things is a sticky subject, and it can land people in hot water real quick. There is the Parody Clause that even applies to commercial logos.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
I work in marketing and have to deal with this all the time. You should see the contract to use the Cowboys logo :eek:

Just wondering what you artists do to cover your ass.

Mc.

Star Player
It's always best to clear with your sponsors. But as a designer, its also (IMO) the responsibility of the team to clear their own sponsors. If you make an original front logo for a team (aka Rocco's liquor depot,) and they want bud light as a free advert on the sleeve, tbh, I don't think twice. And i'm not naive. I know that these brands are aware this happens (not that this justifies any actions of legal wrong-doing.) Conversely, if you're using a brand as the main focus of the identity of a shirt, i'd never feel comfortable with that without OK from someone within the organization. Its a softball uniform, the worst you're going to get is a cease and desist, and since its a one-off production, you've legally complied. They probably aren't going to send people to make sure you don't wear them to your co-ed games. But ethnically, It's one thing to put Tanel on a sleeve because you love the brand, it's another to make a Tanel sweatshirt with whatever crazy (and possibly inappropriate) designs you can think of without their OK. Companies have every right to protect their copyright.

It's just a very slippery slope a designer of a one-off softball jersey that will be seen by, at most, a few thousand people for a few moments.