Understriding (while batting)

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Anyone else have trouble with this? I find that if I don't make a conscious effort, I end up taking too short a stride and lunging at the ball. While I can still get by on that swing, I found that it was robbing me of some power and the ability to consistently lift the ball. I was hitting a lot of top spin and knuckling liners.

Today I made more effort to stride fully during a tournament. While I did get under a few balls and fly out a couple times, the balls I DID hit properly were hit very hard and far. I also felt more lower half involvement (more hips and legs).

When I say I took longer strides, I'm talking about 6". Not a drastic difference, but more than enough to feel and see the results of.

Anyone else deal with understriding while batting?

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I take a short step. I find it helps with consistent timing. I can take a longer step on a short, low, or outside pitch. You might call it an under stride, but I call it right. Most softball players do take a longer stride than they did in baseball, but I don't find myself needing it. Getting on top of the ball doesn't mean your mechanics are off, it means aren't watching the ball all the way to the bat, or your timing is SLIGHTLY off. If I'm knuckling or giving topspin, I'll drop an once on the bat, and automatically be back under the ball. If I'm cutting too far under, I'll add an ounce and automatically be back where I want to be. This was easier when i could swing anything in the bag. With the new stamps, I really can't go heavier than the 29.5 Backman.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If you want a beastly heavy new stamp bat, find a 30 oz. '15 Kirby.

I will also agree with you that you don't necessarily need a full/long stride on every swing. A chop shot oppo or a cut liner you probably want to stride less.

The main issue I was having was topping too many balls when swinging for HRs, and I figured out most of that was due to understriding and not getting enough lower body involvement in the swing.

I find your approach of dropping an ounce on the bat to increase backspin interesting. I've never really tried that. I generally swing 28-30 oz bats all the time.

jhitman

Anyone else have trouble with this? I find that if I don't make a conscious effort, I end up taking too short a stride and lunging at the ball. While I can still get by on that swing, I found that it was robbing me of some power and the ability to consistently lift the ball. I was hitting a lot of top spin and knuckling liners.

Today I made more effort to stride fully during a tournament. While I did get under a few balls and fly out a couple times, the balls I DID hit properly were hit very hard and far. I also felt more lower half involvement (more hips and legs).

When I say I took longer strides, I'm talking about 6". Not a drastic difference, but more than enough to feel and see the results of.

Anyone else deal with understriding while batting?

I was having some issues as well. I used to take a big stride and ended up dipping some and losing my eye level with the incoming pitch. I switched to a smaller stride and felt I lost too much power as you stated above. I now try to make a conscience effort to take a good strong stride forward but not a giant step. I check myself in BP as to where my foot is landing on each pitch.

blakcherry329

I played modified, first, then gradually started playing slowpitch, so my stride has always been shorter. It's more of a "pick my foot up, and put it down(in my best Arnold voice). It's all about comfort, in my opinion. If you are used to taking a big stride, then that's what you do. Otherwise, do what you feel comfortable with.
I think you need to check your swing mechanics, also. I'm not sure how much your stride will effect topspin or knucklers as opposed to the angle of your swing. imo

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I played modified, first, then gradually started playing slowpitch, so my stride has always been shorter. It's more of a "pick my foot up, and put it down(in my best Arnold voice). It's all about comfort, in my opinion. If you are used to taking a big stride, then that's what you do. Otherwise, do what you feel comfortable with.
I think you need to check your swing mechanics, also. I'm not sure how much your stride will effect topspin or knucklers as opposed to the angle of your swing. imo

I think it's mostly just hitting below center, center or above center.

blakcherry329

I think it's mostly just hitting below center, center or above center.
If you are hitting a line drive, w/topspin, then the angle of the swing has to be upward, otherwise it would be a ground ball. If your swing is correct, but the point of impact is above center, how can the ball be lifted, at all? Or am I wrong?

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
Not a power hitter at all, but when I take a long stride, I have a bad habit on landing with all my weight on my front leg too soon and hitting weak fly balls. Guessing it could be a timing issue.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are hitting a line drive, w/topspin, then the angle of the swing has to be upward, otherwise it would be a ground ball. If your swing is correct, but the point of impact is above center, how can the ball be lifted, at all? Or am I wrong?

If you swing up slightly but hit above center of the ball, the angle of the bats arc will drive the ball upward, but impart topspin. You have to be WAY above center to hit the ball down with an unpaward arcing swing, but only slightly above to impart topspin. I have a little upward arc to my swing. I can hit fly balls with topspin. Some guys swing with a slight downward arc, they will not be hitting line drives with topspin.

blakcherry329

If you swing up slightly but hit above center of the ball, the angle of the bats arc will drive the ball upward, but impart topspin. You have to be WAY above center to hit the ball down with an unpaward arcing swing, but only slightly above to impart topspin. I have a little upward arc to my swing. I can hit fly balls with topspin. Some guys swing with a slight downward arc, they will not be hitting line drives with topspin.
Hmmmmmm, if you say so, but I'm not seeing it. :confused:o_O:)

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
I'm 6 ft tall with 30 inch stubby legs. I can't stride very far! Not everyone has long-ass legs like you. But I do get more power when I get a good stride.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Think of the "center of the ball" relative to the bat's path at the point of impact, not relative to the ground. If the batter is swinging up at 45* angle to the ground, the centerline of the ball that determines knuckling, topspin, or backspin will also be at a 45* angle to the ground.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I do it all the time. Not on purpose, but I have upward arc in my swing and hit fly balls with topspin if I get bare my over the top. It's most prominent on a short pitch because I'll have more uppercut on my swing. They can look like you hit them hard and then they just bite down. Knucklers are similar. They can look like they're gonna go, but then they just die. Gotta have a little backspin for good distance. Not many knuckles get out.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Think of the "center of the ball" relative to the bat's path at the point of impact, not relative to the ground. If the batter is swinging up at 45* angle to the ground, the centerline of the ball that determines knuckling, topspin, or backspin will also be at a 45* angle to the ground.

Exactly.

blakcherry329

That's an extreme example, but there's lots of gray area there. For the most part, if you swing up and catch the ball SLIGHTLY above center, then you can hit a topspin line drive. But most of the time it will be a ground ball, imo.
Having said that, everything is relative. Swing angle, pitch arc, how close or far from center is the point of contact, timing all play into what happens to a batted ball. So you can't just say what happens all the time when you swing any way.

]how do you cut the ball with an upward swing and have good results?
I was never taught how to cut the ball. It was all about squaring it up. so what do I know? lol

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
That's an extreme example, but there's lots of gray area there. For the most part, if you swing up and catch the ball SLIGHTLY above center, then you can hit a topspin line drive. But most of the time it will be a ground ball, imo.
Having said that, everything is relative. Swing angle, pitch arc, how close or far from center is the point of contact, timing all play into what happens to a batted ball. So you can't just say what happens all the time when you swing any way.

]how do you cut the ball with an upward swing and have good results?
I was never taught how to cut the ball. It was all about squaring it up. so what do I know? lol

With a downward swing arc, a cut line drive will float and travel a long way, but getting much farther under it will be a pretty weak hit. On the other hand ground balls are absolutely smashed. With a slightly upward swing arc ground balls are pretty weak, line drives and low fly balls are hit pretty hard, but tend to bite downward. A routine fly will only have a little backspin, but it got hit harder than with a downward arc swing hitting the ball at the same angle, and even a little backspin adds a lot of distance compared to topspin or knuckling. Any hit with lots of backspin is a moonshot. My swing is comfortable for me, and gives me plenty of distance and consistency. An upward swing arc is in-line with the ball for a greater time period. With a little tail wind, it will give you more distance than cutting with a downward swing arc. With a headwind, it gives you dramatically less distance than with a downward swing arc.

To revisit your question and give a quick answer. A ball with lots of backspin and upward swing arc is a moon shot. I don't have a golf swing. It's a slight upward arc.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I can (and do) sometimes use a cut swing to hit HRs. It generally produces piercing line drives. My longest HRs are uppercuts that hit the bottom half of the ball and generate backspin. I totally agree that to max out on distance you need to be spinning the ball effectively with consistency. Knuckling and topping the ball won't get you anywhere.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I can (and do) sometimes use a cut swing to hit HRs. It generally produces piercing line drives. My longest HRs are uppercuts that hit the bottom half of the ball and generate backspin. I totally agree that to max out on distance you need to be spinning the ball effectively with consistency. Knuckling and topping the ball won't get you anywhere.

I need to learn to use a cut swing. Not for every game use, but occasionally we'll get a serious headwind and only the guys that are good at cutting the ball can get them out. I've hit plenty out with a head wind, but there have been some winds where I just flat couldn't do it, and guys that I usually hit farther than still could, because with that cut swing they can hit a ball low, that stays in the air long enough to get out.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I need to learn to use a cut swing. Not for every game use, but occasionally we'll get a serious headwind and only the guys that are good at cutting the ball can get them out. I've hit plenty out with a head wind, but there have been some winds where I just flat couldn't do it, and guys that I usually hit farther than still could, because with that cut swing they can hit a ball low, that stays in the air long enough to get out.

Yeah, a cut swing has a time and a place. If I'm feeling it I'll try to smash one about 8' off the ground that carries into the LC gap. Other times (as you mentioned) it can be great for hitting HRs through a headwind. You need the backspin and low trajectory to make it work.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I had a good, long BP today (225 swings) and I practiced striding longer more consistently. Less leg kick, more stride. It worked, and the results were borderline astonishing. I could feel the lower half working (hip rotation) and less lunging. I still ended up topping a few more balls than I would have liked, but all the HRs I was hitting were booming drives of 350' or more. That with a variety of middling bats and .52 300 balls.

On a side note, I found myself able to get to inside pitches better with the longer stride. I was getting inside the ball better and hitting some of them a long, long way down the left field line. That was always a trouble spot for me before and I'd end up hooking the ball foul with tons of sidespin.

I'm also convinced that with the big leg kick I had before that I wasn't getting my front foot down in time. It led to some ugly, rushed swings with no hip or leg involvement. I was ending up having to use my upper body to generate all the power. Today that wasn't the case. Everything was in sync.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Less leg kick, more stride. It worked, and the results were borderline astonishing. I could feel the lower half working (hip rotation) and less lunging...

I'm also convinced that with the big leg kick I had before that I wasn't getting my front foot down in time. It led to some ugly, rushed swings with no hip or leg involvement. I was ending up having to use my upper body to generate all the power. Today that wasn't the case. Everything was in sync.

I had a bit of a slump earlier this year and a teammate pointed out that I had stopped striding. I was just lifting my foot up, putting it down in the same spot, and spinning myself into the ground. I started concentrating on striding more and my hitting got worse. I realized that the longer I tried to stride, the higher my leg kick was getting and my timing was getting messed up. Made a point to take a long stride but keep my front foot down. Now I'm taking almost a slide-step and I'm consistently hitting the ball hard again.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I had a good, long BP today (225 swings) and I practiced striding longer more consistently. Less leg kick, more stride. It worked, and the results were borderline astonishing. I could feel the lower half working (hip rotation) and less lunging. I still ended up topping a few more balls than I would have liked, but all the HRs I was hitting were booming drives of 350' or more. That with a variety of middling bats and .52 300 balls.

On a side note, I found myself able to get to inside pitches better with the longer stride. I was getting inside the ball better and hitting some of them a long, long way down the left field line. That was always a trouble spot for me before and I'd end up hooking the ball foul with tons of sidespin.

This sounds like it'll help me out! Thanks...

I havent been able to get out and hit too much..so i've been making little adjustments that dont feel comfortable. This may be it though...

jhitman

I may try this too. I have some of the same issues that you do. I tend to lunge sometimes and have a big leg kick and it throws me out of sync at times. Is your stride more like a long glide with not much upward movement with the front leg? That sounds like what you are describing. I like the fact that you said it kept you inside the ball better. I tend to go out and around when trying to really hit it hard/far.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I had a bit of a slump earlier this year and a teammate pointed out that I had stopped striding. I was just lifting my foot up, putting it down in the same spot, and spinning myself into the ground. I started concentrating on striding more and my hitting got worse. I realized that the longer I tried to stride, the higher my leg kick was getting and my timing was getting messed up. Made a point to take a long stride but keep my front foot down. Now I'm taking almost a slide-step and I'm consistently hitting the ball hard again.

Yeah, I've reduced the leg kick by quite a bit and am striding probably 8" further than before.The only real downside to this is that I'll slip from time to time in lousy batters' boxes. Yesterday was a big wakeup call as far as what a proper stride can do for my swing. At first it felt a bit foreign stepping that far, but by the end of BP I was used to it.

I'd say the reason I was understriding in the first place was because of lousy batters' boxes. When you're used to hitting in pitted, sandy boxes, a long stride can lead to slipping.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I may try this too. I have some of the same issues that you do. I tend to lunge sometimes and have a big leg kick and it throws me out of sync at times. Is your stride more like a long glide with not much upward movement with the front leg? That sounds like what you are describing. I like the fact that you said it kept you inside the ball better. I tend to go out and around when trying to really hit it hard/far.

Yeah, yesterday I was simply picking up my front foot just a bit and striding. No big, high leg kick. I could feel some good weight transfer and hip rotation. What I was envisioning was Bryson Baker's swing. That was the same stride I was taking. He starts his feet fairly close together and takes a big stride with a ton of weight transfer. For his size, he his the ball as hard/far as anyone. He's using his whole body to generate power. Watch some vids of him on Youtube and you can see what I mean.

Surprisingly, this change of stride wasn't really affecting my timing. I might have been early on a few balls, but for the most part I was squaring the ball up very well.

jhitman

Yeah, I've reduced the leg kick by quite a bit and am striding probably 8" further than before.The only real downside to this is that I'll slip from time to time in lousy batters' boxes. Yesterday was a big wakeup call as far as what a proper stride can do for my swing. At first it felt a bit foreign stepping that far, but by the end of BP I was used to it.

I'd say the reason I was understriding in the first place was because of lousy batters' boxes. When you're used to hitting in pitted, sandy boxes, a long stride can lead to slipping.

The stride is something most don't talk about but it is essential to a good swing. If you don't have balance how can you hit the ball good? I get caught in between not striding enough and too big a stride. If you over stride too much you can lose power and go up under the ball too much. If you don't stride enough you can't get anything behind the swing.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only time I cut down my stride is when the batter's box is crap and I'm afraid of falling. I fall down enough that I'm pretty sure my stride is always long with a strong weight transfer.