unloader knee brace

LB21

Addicted to Softballfans
Had arthroscopic surgery. After surgery diagnosed with no cartilage, bone on bone, w/ arthritis. Have tried the medication they have prescribed and have gotten a gel injection, neither have worked. Now they want me to try this brace. Anyone out there using this and playing ball? Im trying to put off knee replacement, and wandering if this brace is worthwhile.

AZTOMC

Addicted to Softballfans
I used one and put off right knee replacement for over ten years. It worked for me. Got a brand new one here I didn't get a chance to use before the knee bit the dust and had to be replaced.

AZTOMC

Addicted to Softballfans
It just basically helped the open a the gap a little so your bones didn't rub so much where the meniscus no longer exists. It's just a tool to keep playing without so much of the pain. Its no fun wearing the big brace but if you want to keep playing it's a big help. Insurance may pick up some of the cost but a good unloader brace costs around $2,000 sometimes. I don't need mine any longer and willing to sell it if you or anyone wants to give it a try. It's for the right knee and it's adjustable.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
Curious ... first time I've opened Softball Fans in a few weeks. I'm 8 weeks after being scoped (torn meniscus and arthritis) .. really similar situation to LB21's OP. I'm being fitted tomorrow for the same brace. I hope a few more folks jump in with their opinions/results from using this brace. I'd like to get more perspective on its effectiveness ... like ... how likely is it that I will still be able to play outfield and wear this brace???

gobama

Manager
I had partial knee replacement done[makoplasty] june of last year and actually played in august on. It was basically hit and get a runner and a little first base. Now I am ready for the new year and I hope I am good to go. I still have some arthritis in the knee but I think I am going to be much better with this. I tried every cream and every brace and found no help from them

Beaz

The Veteran
I'm in the same situation, bone on bone in my right knee. When they removed the last of the cartilage a couple years ago the doctor said the only thing left was a knee replacement.

I've been playing for a couple years on it and finally got to the point that I got tired of taking so many Motrin to play so I'm taking a little time off.

I'd also be very interested in hearing how this brace works for others. Maybe I should go and see if it will help me.

crawdaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been wearing a large brace for going on 2 years (no meniscus, ACL or PCL). There is no way I can run or jog without it. It definitely helps with the pain. It has prolonged my playing days. If you pace yourself you can make the knee last for a few more years. I avoid running as much as possible.

4 Advil + Knee brace = Let's play

LT44

Addicted to Softballfans
I wore this brace for several years. it was ***bersome but allowed me to be active. Eventually, I had the knee replacement and it was best thing I ever did. Changed my life physically and emotionally!

LT44

Addicted to Softballfans
LT44 ... how did the knee replacement impact your softball life?

Biggest difference was my balance. When I had the brace, I couldn't generated a lot of power because I couldn't use my legs. Now that I have strong legs, my power in significantly improved. I can also run much better because I have no knee pain. Agility also improved because I can actually push off on my knee. Lastly, confidence! I'm a confident player again. Hope this helps!!!

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm getting my brace in a week, so I'll see how it goes. I hope the brace allows me enough movement. Thanks for the feedback

LB21

Addicted to Softballfans
I got my brace last Thursday. All I can say is wow. This made all the difference in the world. Everyone including myself was amazed at how well I was able to run. I'm hoping that it will prolong having surgery for quite a while. Thanks for all the input.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
got mine yesterday .... jury is still out ... will take some getting used to. I was going to use it in the game today but was told to take it slowly to adjust to the brace and essentially break it in. I'll try it in a game next week

crawdaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
Bob,

My sentiments were the same the first time I put mine on. It felt so good started running for others. In hind site probably should not have done that. It will take you farther if you pace yourself and keep the leg mussels toned up. Glad to hear you are doing well. Hope to see you in Tampa.

Ron

crawdaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
Bob,
Glad to hear you had success with the brace. I had the wow effect when I first got mine. I started running for others, in hind site that was not a good idea. I've started having issues even with the brace on. Pace yourself and keep the leg mussels in good shape and you will go a lot farther. Hope I see you in Tampa this month.

Ron

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
Just turned 45 and I'm in a similar situation to all of you in that I have OA in my knee due to injury/surgery/years of abuse. I first tore my lateral meniscus (first diagnosed tear but i'm sure there were others) in 2005 and it was an 80% "bucket handle" tear that flipped up and locked in the knee joint. There was no other option but to remove the damaged tissue. I came back good as new and resumed all normal activities for a good 6-8 years, but then started having locking issues again. My knee would lock up, but i could extend my knee a certain way and it would "unlock" and I'd be sore, but fine. Then one night while playing ball, it locked up and I couldn't get it unlocked. I figured that i had torn my meniscus again and made an appointment with the doc.

My personal doctor did some tests and said it sounded like a torn meniscus and referred me to and ortho. He also did the usual tests and sad the same thing and took x-rays. After getting the x-rays back, he said "we can rule out torn meniscus, because you have no meniscus left" :eek:
The MRI showd multiple fragments of meniscus and bone chips floating around in my knee that would lock in the joint from time to time causing my knee to lock up. Scheduled "clean up" surgery.

Had scope to clean out the knee joint of everything that was messed up which resulted in a meniscotomy which meant that now i was bone on bone during any kind of impact activites. I wore a regular neoprene knee brace to alleviate some of the pain, but a year later i got fitted for an unloader brace. It was a life saver. I have the rebel reliever from Townsend. It is very big and bulky, but very functional for playing softball. I got it middle of the season last year when i could barely run to first and by the Fall, i was playing center field in a three man outfield.

Basically, i know that i will need total knee replacement sooner rather than later, but the knee brace has helped me to keep playing ball and prolong the inevitable.

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
http://www.townsenddesign.com/Townsend_Design/Rebel_OA.html

shapeimage_9.png

The brace can be dialed up to increase or decrease the amount of torque on my knee to open up the meniscal space and alleviate the bone on bone impact. It took some getting used to and the first time i strapped it on i felt like Forest Gump when he got his knee braces as a child. It felt very robotic. The heavy duty brace works great for playing ball, but i wish i had a slimmed down version that was as effective for wearing under my khakis at work. Unfortunately, this is the one that my HMO paid for upon referal from my doctor and i'm not shelling out $900 bucks out of pocket to buy another one.

For those of you who currently wear unloader braces - Which kind do you have and how effective are they?

gobama

Manager
One tip on the arthritis end that has really helped me one year after the partial knee replacement last June. DMSO which you can get at the healthfood store. Rub the DMSO on all over the affected joint and immediately put your icy hot,biofreeze,etc on over it. The DMSO transports the stuff down into the joint area and within 3 days I had considerably less pain. I use it before each day when playing ball along with 2 aleve and I hardly feel the knee anymore. Also the partial knee replacement is fantastic. I reccomend if you are a candidate for it. Much quicker recovery than total knee replacement