ASA Unsporting Behavior - Penalty

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA Rule Supplement 49 (at least in the 2016 book) lists several behaviors that are considered unsporting. However, the rule supplement does not address the penalty for these behaviors. What is the penalty and where can it be found in the rulebook?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA Rule Supplement 49 (at least in the 2016 book) lists several behaviors that are considered unsporting. However, the rule supplement does not address the penalty for these behaviors. What is the penalty and where can it be found in the rulebook?

Rule 1.Ejected participant
Rule 4.8
Rule 10.1

This is a list of examples and not conclusive. The remedy to most is a correction if the participant wishes to continue playing. Many have resolutions noted in each rule addressing the situation listed

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
There used to be a time when teams wore a uniform with pride and acted in somewhat of a semi-professional manner during championship play, and the good teams (I mean the real good teams, not just those who think they are) would carry themselves with some character. Much of this would matriculate at the local levels.

Don't know where it went, but I haven't seen it at any level lately. Maybe it is just in my area, but I doubt it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Exactly. No one wants to eject a player just because he's wearing his cap backwards.

We have a local ump that does. ;)

He also prides himself on his yearly ejection count. Two years ago our men's league had 11 ejections, this guy owned 9 of them.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
He also prides himself on his yearly ejection count. Two years ago our men's league had 11 ejections, this guy owned 9 of them.

For what?

Guys popping out and blurting out expletives, one guy fouled out and muttered an expletive under his breath as he was leaving the field, one guy slammed his bat down behind the backstop after he'd left the field, etc.

Nitpicky stuf that he looks for, he seems to like confrontation. But I have no issue with it, there are wives and children watching the games and there's no reason for guys to act like that. Especially at the level we play at, league champs don't even get t-shirts.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Guys popping out and blurting out expletives, one guy fouled out and muttered an expletive under his breath as he was leaving the field, one guy slammed his bat down behind the backstop after he'd left the field, etc.

Have never ejected a player for language. How one directs that language is a different story. One of the worst words that can come out of a player's mouth is "you". Doesn't make any difference what comes next, the player just made it personal.

Nitpicky stuf that he looks for, he seems to like confrontation. But I have no issue with it, there are wives and children watching the games and there's no reason for guys to act like that. Especially at the level we play at, league champs don't even get t-shirts.

Won't say there aren't people like that, but they aren't umpires. Being an umpire is more than wearing a uniform and collecting a check for a game.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Have never ejected a player for language. How one directs that language is a different story. One of the worst words that can come out of a player's mouth is "you". Doesn't make any difference what comes next, the player just made it personal.

Agree completely. I'm always after teammates for using the "Y" word, even if the context is seemingly innocent.

"How can you call that a strike?"
"How can you call me out? You couldn't even see the tag from there"

Guys get back in the dugout and I always ask what they hoped to accomplish. The tag isn't getting reversed and now you just made things confrontational.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Agree completely. I'm always after teammates for using the "Y" word, even if the context is seemingly innocent.

A few years back, I was working a local game with a couple of teams that you might have called B/C back then. There was a deuce with a banger finish at first. Lots of oohs and aahs, but nothing negative. Offenses' dugout (all 10 players were in the game) started harping on their coach who hit into the play. He gave them some **** back and then took a couple quick steps toward me, raised his right arm and sharply pointed in my direction and said "AND YOU...." and there was an instant sigh from both benches. They knew the game was over and I didn't even dump the guy....yet. I cannot even remember how he finished the comment, it didn't matter. They started packing up before I told him he was done and didn't even get a questionable look, he knew it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
OMG for reals?

You're damn right that's for reals. That's no power trip, it's at every level, right on up through MLB. Once you make it personal, that's it, you're lucky if you'll stay in the game if the next words aren't "just made a great call."

I've had a similar incident many years ago where a guy got tagged out at third by more than a foot, and I was on top of the play. For whatever reason, the guy who got tagged out ran back to the dugout and shouted at me from across the infield, "I don't know why it is that you've got it in for our team!"

Bam. Gone.

The dumb thing is... out of all the teams in the league, I enjoyed calling their games the most. They're a good bunch of guys, they played hard, and they rarely gave me any issues. What possessed him to say that is completely beyond me.

Guys, if you have a question about a call, fine. Hey, let's talk about it! But once it's no longer about the call, that's where we will have a problem.

amace04

You're damn right that's for reals. That's no power trip, it's at every level, right on up through MLB. Once you make it personal, that's it, you're lucky if you'll stay in the game if the next words aren't "just made a great call."

I've had a similar incident many years ago where a guy got tagged out at third by more than a foot, and I was on top of the play. For whatever reason, the guy who got tagged out ran back to the dugout and shouted at me from across the infield, "I don't know why it is that you've got it in for our team!"

Bam. Gone.

The dumb thing is... out of all the teams in the league, I enjoyed calling their games the most. They're a good bunch of guys, they played hard, and they rarely gave me any issues. What possessed him to say that is completely beyond me.

Guys, if you have a question about a call, fine. Hey, let's talk about it! But once it's no longer about the call, that's where we will have a problem.

Def power trip.

That's power trippy enough to go pro.

Joker

I prefer not to talk about ejections here. It might come across as bragging.

I will say this, though... I don't go looking for ejections, but when I have no other option, I don't shy away from them.

Never kept count, it is not a statistic over which is worth worrying. Never looked for one, but never shied away when it was deserved.

not saying, just saying

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Def power trip.

That's power trippy enough to go pro.
It's funny how the real tourney players seem to understand this concept, but D and E heroes do not.

Got a question about a call? We'll talk about it. I have zero problem with that. We won't discuss anything else, though. Insinuate that my call was somehow affected by anything other than what I saw or heard, and you'll be treading on thin ice.

I defend my integrity out there. Period.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
It's funny how the real tourney players seem to understand this concept, but D and E heroes do not.

Got a question about a call? We'll talk about it. I have zero problem with that. We won't discuss anything else, though. Insinuate that my call was somehow affected by anything other than what I saw or heard, and you'll be treading on thin ice.

I defend my integrity out there. Period.

The fact that there is even an E division should tell you something

Banero

Addicted to Softballfans
One of the umpires in our senior league quit because a team repeatedly questioned his calls. It was mostly one person, but several players would chime in after the initial guy started it. They were pretty harsh on him and made it personal by accusing him of making calls against their team specifically. I told him that he should have set a precedent and ejected at least one person. But neither him or his umpiring partner would do that. I agree with NCASA and Irish, make it personal (no matter what level) and you should be ejected.