Any Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

Hagen49

Here is the situation, single runner on 2nd all other bases are open. The batter hits a slow roller to the pitcher, who fields the ball. The runner on 2nd, who was not advancing yells "go 3!" which causes the pitcher to hesitate. Should there be a call here?

Normy

So, if the call was verbal interference, would that make the player on second base out? We play quite a few verbal teams that I could see doing this. Just curious.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Idk bout y'all but I have yet to witness it called around here on far more than just (GO 3).. but ok it's a rule.. I guess lol

Country469

generally its a warning given in my experience and that nips it in the bud. But yeah, out, and ejection from game could also occur too.

tonys1

Question on that - Joker said runner (on 2nd) is out, is that because he's the one who yelled it? That would make sense, just looking to confirm. What if it was the base coach or someone on the hitting team's bench? Same call and same outcome, runner is out?

And just to cover every scenario, what if the batter was the one who caused it?

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
If it was a base coach or player on the bench, it can be argued they were yelling at the runner on 2nd to go to 3rd. By it being the runner on second yelling it, it was clearly an attempt to interfere with the defense.

markrischard

Question on that - Joker said runner (on 2nd) is out, is that because he's the one who yelled it? That would make sense, just looking to confirm. What if it was the base coach or someone on the hitting team's bench? Same call and same outcome, runner is out?

And just to cover every scenario, what if the batter was the one who caused it?
If another offensive team member is guilty of interference, the batter is the one who is out.

JP21

Pitcher should be checking the runner at second anyways prior to going to first. So the runner chirping "Go 3" shouldn't even matter, he should have naturally hesitated.

Country469

EFFECT Sec. 5. F-K. The infraction constitutes INTERFERENCE. All play stops; the ball
is dead, and the MOST ADVANCED RUNNER IS CALLED OUT. NOTE: In “G,” immediately
above, team members include all other persons who are on the team’s bench.

now, I think the wording we are really looking for here would be verbal obstruction

if this is usssa rule set

Joker

Pitcher should be checking the runner at second anyways prior to going to first. So the runner chirping "Go 3" shouldn't even matter, he should have naturally hesitated.
this has no bearing on the ruling

StickCollector

In a game last night, the ump gave a warning to a second baseman that hit his own glove to fake that he had the ball. This made the runner from first slow down, and he was almost thrown out. Definitely unsportsmanlike like.

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
Joker,
I read StickCollector and don't interpret anything about a tag, I agree with you that fake tags should be an ejection, but I think he is talking about a fake catch. I have never seen anything that says it's illegal to pretend I caught the ball if I'm no where near any type of tagging motion.

StickCollector

Joker,
I read StickCollector and don't interpret anything about a tag, I agree with you that fake tags should be an ejection, but I think he is talking about a fake catch. I have never seen anything that says it's illegal to pretend I caught the ball if I'm no where near any type of tagging motion.
No, he did not go to tag the runner, but his actions made the runner slow enough that he was almost thrown out when the ball came back in from right center. I think the ump did the right thing with the warning.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
I don't think that tapping your glove like you caught the ball is any sort of interference. The SS I played with 30 years ago would always tap his glove on a shot up the middle and more often than not the runner on second froze because he didn't know if the ball was caught, and could't score on a single
SMOKE

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
No, do nothing but wait for the defense to make a play
In a game last night, the ump gave a warning to a second baseman that hit his own glove to fake that he had the ball. This made the runner from first slow down, and he was almost thrown out. Definitely unsportsmanlike like.

That is bull****, much like the OP

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
EFFECT Sec. 5. F-K. The infraction constitutes INTERFERENCE. All play stops; the ball
is dead, and the MOST ADVANCED RUNNER IS CALLED OUT. NOTE: In “G,” immediately
above, team members include all other persons who are on the team’s bench.

now, I think the wording we are really looking for here would be verbal obstruction

if this is usssa rule set
How could we possibly have obstruction here? What did the defense do wrong? The offense interferes and the defense obstructs.

League games I'm going to wait until after the play, if the out is made I'm going to talk to the runner and both managers and let them know if it happens again I'm calling it and someone is going home. Tournaments I'm calling the out immediately, you should know better if you're playing.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
How could we possibly have obstruction here? What did the defense do wrong? The offense interferes and the defense obstructs.

League games I'm going to wait until after the play, if the out is made I'm going to talk to the runner and both managers and let them know if it happens again I'm calling it and someone is going home. Tournaments I'm calling the out immediately, you should know better if you're playing.

And what are you going to do if the base coach is the one who makes the "go 3" comment?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If I believe the intent of the base coach was trying to confuse the defense then it's verbal interference. He can make the argument that he was talking to his player, I'll listen but if I'm making the call obviously I don't believe them.