Any Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If I believe the intent of the base coach was trying to confuse the defense then it's verbal interference. He can make the argument that he was talking to his player, I'll listen but if I'm making the call obviously I don't believe them.

In all cases in this thread, it is a chicken **** little league call and has no place in adult softball.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Irish, you know as well as I do that there are a great many things done in adult softball that have no place in adult softball. From the lowest rec league to the best players in the game, they all think that at least some of the rules don't apply to them. I'm going to call it, I'm going to listen to their BS justification, I'm going to stick with my call and if they keep complaining they can go home.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Irish, you know as well as I do that there are a great many things done in adult softball that have no place in adult softball. From the lowest rec league to the best players in the game, they all think that at least some of the rules don't apply to them. I'm going to call it, I'm going to listen to their BS justification, I'm going to stick with my call and if they keep complaining they can go home.

IOW, you treat the adult players like children? Been there, but did not do that. Had a similar situation in the Armed Forces Championships as PU. Pop up near 3B dugout. Someone called it, most likely a runner and catcher just failed to catch the ball. AF coach wanted INT and I wouldn't do it. These are men playing a serious sport (to them) and in a professional manner. After the game, the UIC gave me kudos for not making that call. He stated the team needs to know how to play the game and interact with their teammates.

OTOH, I have made this call in a local game, but the runner literally ran behind the SS and screamed at the top of his lungs. Completely different scenario than the OP