Unwritten rules

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Anyone ever run into morons spouting about unwritten rules?

Had a game the other day against a team we match up pretty even with, and mostly get along with.

We showed early, took the 3B side for the shade. 10min before start time, the other teams coach and his muscle boy come over telling us home team gets 3B side because that where the box with the bags is. We thought he was joking at first, but they quickly escalated it and hurled insults, blah blah blah.

Been playing for 8 years, and never had anyone mention this ever, between 4 leagues. I just figured the guy wanted to get into our heads, but what do I know?

So we stomped them by 12. I hit at the guy who started it. A hard liner at 3B with the first pitch of the game, and almost got him again later. Felt pretty good.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like the box with the bases has meaning that you failed to comprehend. Than you tried to hit at a third baseman. Sounds like you are 0 for 2 in the brains department. But hey. You felt good.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
in tourneys we have to take a certain side if you're home or away.

one time i took a dump in the 1st base coach box and the other team tried to tell me i couldn't. i was like "show me in the rule book!!!".

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like the box with the bases has meaning that you failed to comprehend. Than you tried to hit at a third baseman. Sounds like you are 0 for 2 in the brains department. But hey. You felt good.

You're worried that he tried to hit a third basemen? I have no business being in the infield if the team I'm playin for wants to win, and I wear a mask to pitch because I have to. I still think you could hit me at third unless something fishy was going on.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
You're worried that he tried to hit a third basemen? I have no business being in the infield if the team I'm playin for wants to win, and I wear a mask to pitch because I have to. I still think you could hit me at third unless something fishy was going on.

What? Idk how you interpreted that I was worried. I think its laughable that someone would try and hit a ball at a defensive player. I try to hit it where they aren't. You have no business being in this thread at your comprehension level.

Last edited:

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I thought the "unwritten rule" was whoever shows up first gets their choice of dugouts. If someone tried to get me to change dugouts, I'd tell 'em to go pound sand and think no more of it.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I like to write down my unwritten rules............That way I can pull them out and show them to people.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
If it is coin flip home/away tourney/league generally we go by first come first serve for dugout. If the tourney/league is designated Home/away by seeding or schedule we go to the appropriately labeled dug out. If they aren't labeled home team is generally third base line. Thought that was simple common sense stuff. IMO if he was trying to steal the dugout with the shade then F em. If he was a designated home team trying to go to the home dugout you shoulda moved dugouts.

Last edited:

mattya420

Manager
If it's not written in the league or tourney rule book then it's just an idea to be presented at the post season captains meetings.

BergerKing27

Part Time Player
First come first serve! One of the benefits of working close to the fields for the early games is getting the dugout we want!

rshackleford

Rec League Superstar
What the heck does this mean????

League keeps a padlocked box to store equipment at the diamond. The home team has to show up early and setup the bases. It's pretty common around here to have 2 or 3 of them at most parks, either a steel job site box or just a homemade plywood box.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
League keeps a padlocked box to store equipment at the diamond. The home team has to show up early and setup the bases. It's pretty common around here to have 2 or 3 of them at most parks, either a steel job site box or just a homemade plywood box.

So the home team is already decided prior to game. We just show up and flip for home. dugouts are who gets them first. Bases are put down by parks and rec.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
Don't hit at muscles unless he's wearing the mask and then specifically says that he's ready before you do it. Also don't hit it too hard for his liking or he will accidentally kill you in a brawl because we are all intimidated.

batboy_2006

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe home team has to put away the bases at the end of the night and that would save them a trip across the field.

Whether the base box is in the 1B or 3B dugout, its still the same distance for the furthest bag to be picked up and put back into the box. If the home team does the setup and ends up on the bench where the box isn't, then its could be more or an inconvenience to have to go to the other teams dugout to put them away if they are still in there as well.

If the park is doing the setup/take down of the bases, then who really cares which bench you get? Sometimes as home team, if I'm there first and 3B is facing into the sun/wind, I'll take 1B instead :)

rshackleford

Rec League Superstar
So the home team is already decided prior to game. We just show up and flip for home. dugouts are who gets them first. Bases are put down by parks and rec.

Yeah, every league I've played in the home team is scheduled. Usually you play a team a couple times a season and they even it out.

This is the first I've heard of the home team getting a specific dugout though.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league is visitor/first base side and home/third base. Dugouts are assigned to avoid childish bull**** like this.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Can't tell you how many times we've been screwed b/c the other team is late... I'm all for having first come first served for dugouts. That said, if you're the 2nd game - home team is on 3b side... shade or no shade.