Updated Pitching Mask Reviews (EvoShield vs...)

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
Did a search and found most of the threads dated. Just wanted to get some feedback on the EvoShield mask vs other brands from people who have tried a few out.

I have the worth Helmet mask and I find that it reduces visibility a lot though I like the all around protection.

I'm a smaller guy and have a smaller head size as well if that makes any difference on brand?

blakcherry329

Before people tell you about the search feature...lol

Lacrosse Helmet, with the top bar cut out, gives you perfect visibility with maximum protection, imho.

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans

Lacrosse Helmet, with the top bar cut out, gives you perfect visibility with maximum protection, imho.

I agree, good visibility, light weighty good protection,i picked one up at goodwill for cheap

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Lacrosse helmet, a faceoff, and a catcher's style helmet, and I prefer them in the reverse of that order. I know the catcher's style has a pad that sits on your face and gets much hotter, but it doesn't move as much on your head and I feel safer with that pad between the bars and my face. My other beef with the Lacrosse mask is I'm going to have to cut the padding around the ears to get sunglasses on under it, and even then it will never be as convenient to put on and take off with sunglasses as the catcher style. It's more like a tight football helmet that requires the chin strap, and we've all seen catchers put on and take off their helmets with one hand.

You can't really go wrong with any of these three, IMO, unless you turn your head while wearing the mask.

blakcherry329

I have a Lacrosse helmet, a faceoff, and a catcher's style helmet, and I prefer them in the reverse of that order. I know the catcher's style has a pad that sits on your face and gets much hotter, but it doesn't move as much on your head and I feel safer with that pad between the bars and my face. My other beef with the Lacrosse mask is I'm going to have to cut the padding around the ears to get sunglasses on under it, and even then it will never be as convenient to put on and take off with sunglasses as the catcher style. It's more like a tight football helmet that requires the chin strap, and we've all seen catchers put on and take off their helmets with one hand.

You can't really go wrong with any of these three, IMO, unless you turn your head while wearing the mask.

You shouldn't have to do anything to the pads on your Helmet. I wear sunglasses under my helmet, no problem.
However, it depends on the glasses. If you have glasses with thick arms, it might pose a problem. Putting the glasses on and off with the helmet is no problem. I guess the pad issue would depend on the helmet manufacturer.

Also, I don't use/need the chin strap. It fit perfectly and doesn't move around at all during the game.

It doesn't sound like you've tried on your helmet yet. :confused: It should fit securely without the strap and you should be able to wear glasses underneath.

chirotob

I agree with JBO in terms of the overall feeling of security using a catcher's mask.

I use a Rawlings hinge style catcher's mask.

i-black.jpg

I was a catcher when I played baseball and yes, the bars do obstruct your view to a degree, but just like anyone who ever put on the tools, you learn to see around the bars and react to the ball in the blind spots, and remove and toss your helmet on popups. It definitely takes some adjusting, but anyone who caught in baseball should immediately consider this as an option. It's well padded, the bars are thick and safe, it's hinged so it goes on and off fast.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans

I wear sunglasses easily without ever have had to cut the padding. My helmet doesn't move, even when unstrapped, and I can put it on or take it off easily with one hand.

It sounds like yours just doesn't fit well. Have you tried the Cascade helmets with the SPRfit system? It works really well.

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks I know but everything is dated and no real response on Evo Shield.

Wouldn't cutting the bar out decrease the stability of the other bars caving in on impact?

bartxe

1st base coach
Wouldn't cutting the bar out decrease the stability of the other bars caving in on impact?

theoretically it would decrease the stability. depends on who you ask. The cascade masks are pretty strong. I believe you would be save cutting out the t section, but im no engineer...

I cant speak for the evoshield. I have a Cascade, a worth and a ripit. The rip it is by far the most comfortable and provides the best visibility but only protects your face. if you turn your head its not helping at all. Cascade seems like it would offer the best all around protection, but you have more obstructions also, I cant remove mine with one hand... The is no ripping it off on a fly ball. Because of that, I prefer my worth pitching mask. It fits snug, offers pretty good all around protection (except for the ears) and it comes off easily. taking my mask off is second nature to me as I was a catcher in baseball my whole life. Im not comfortable catching a pop fly with my mask/helmet on.

Also, I find that sunglasses work best under my worth

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I thought masks would have to approved by the organization putting on the tournament, and I didn't know if all Lacrosse helmets are approved by ASA/USSSA.

a piece of protective equipment shouldn't have to be approved....Do they approve your glove as well? Shinguards? batting gloves?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You shouldn't have to do anything to the pads on your Helmet. I wear sunglasses under my helmet, no problem.
However, it depends on the glasses. If you have glasses with thick arms, it might pose a problem. Putting the glasses on and off with the helmet is no problem. I guess the pad issue would depend on the helmet manufacturer.

Also, I don't use/need the chin strap. It fit perfectly and doesn't move around at all during the game.

It doesn't sound like you've tried on your helmet yet. :confused: It should fit securely without the strap and you should be able to wear glasses underneath.

Yes, I reviewed my helmet without trying it on or wearing it.

I wear sunglasses easily without ever have had to cut the padding. My helmet doesn't move, even when unstrapped, and I can put it on or take it off easily with one hand.

It sounds like yours just doesn't fit well. Have you tried the Cascade helmets with the SPRfit system? It works really well.

It is a Cascade with that system. It might work more like you're saying if I had a larger size and then tightened up the SPR unit, but the size I have fits my head with no glasses fine and is listed as the size I need.

It is an older model. Probably at least 2 years old, and not their 180 dollar model. I also don't think I should have to pay twice as much to be able to wear sunglasses, but that's each purchaser's prerogative.

I could easily play and feel safe without the chinstrap, but it would move some when I backpedal. The sunglasses still wouldn't fit well beneath it. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my Oakleys pulling it over them as there's barely any clearance doing so, and there is padding above the ears that my catcher's style helmet does not have. I'm wearing Flak Jacket XLJs underneath, so if you consider those thicker earpieces then that's the issue. The padding is all around my ear and it pushes my ears flat against my head and there is a significant pad right behind my ear that prevents me from pushing the Oakley earpiece all the way back since they're the straight earpieces that go back instead of curving down behind the ear.

blakcherry329

Yes, I reviewed my helmet without trying it on or wearing it.

It is a Cascade with that system. It might work more like you're saying if I had a larger size and then tightened up the SPR unit, but the size I have fits my head with no glasses fine and is listed as the size I need.

It is an older model. Probably at least 2 years old, and not their 180 dollar model. I also don't think I should have to pay twice as much to be able to wear sunglasses, but that's each purchaser's prerogative.

I could easily play and feel safe without the chinstrap, but it would move some when I backpedal. The sunglasses still wouldn't fit well beneath it. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my Oakleys pulling it over them as there's barely any clearance doing so, and there is padding above the ears that my catcher's style helmet does not have. I'm wearing Flak Jacket XLJs underneath, so if you consider those thicker earpieces then that's the issue. The padding is all around my ear and it pushes my ears flat against my head and there is a significant pad right behind my ear that prevents me from pushing the Oakley earpiece all the way back since they're the straight earpieces that go back instead of curving down behind the ear.

I detect a bit of sarcasm. :biggthumpup:

If your helmet moves around when you play, it's not the right size. I've never seen a pitcher, that uses a Lacrosse helmet, use a chin strap.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never seen a lacrosse player not use a chin strap. If someone says they're not wearing a chin strap and they say it doesn't move, then I assume they're blocking it out. It doesn't tighten like a catcher's helmet. The SPR portion is at the base of the neck. The rest of the helmet is just standard padding like any football helmet.

bbaum17

Starting Player
The sunglasses still wouldn't fit well beneath it. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my Oakleys pulling it over them as there's barely any clearance doing so, and there is padding above the ears that my catcher's style helmet does not have. I'm wearing Flak Jacket XLJs underneath, so if you consider those thicker earpieces then that's the issue. The padding is all around my ear and it pushes my ears flat against my head and there is a significant pad right behind my ear that prevents me from pushing the Oakley earpiece all the way back since they're the straight earpieces that go back instead of curving down behind the ear.

I ran into the same issue with those Oakleys and my Cascade Pro 7. Have you looked into getting a tinted visor for your helmet? A lot of people on here will either modify their motorcycle visors or football visors to fit inside the mask. I just purchased the Shoc Visor which was designed for lacrosse helmets and it fits great with my giant head.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard with the wrong materials the curving of the mask can cause distortion. I'm not about to mess with that at 55' away. :D

bbaum17

Starting Player
I haven't noticed any distortion with mine, but to each their own. Hope you find something thatll fit with your helmet.

blakcherry329

I've never seen a lacrosse player not use a chin strap. If someone says they're not wearing a chin strap and they say it doesn't move, then I assume they're blocking it out. It doesn't tighten like a catcher's helmet. The SPR portion is at the base of the neck. The rest of the helmet is just standard padding like any football helmet.

Um, ok. I not trying to start an argument here, but Lacrosse and Softball are kinda different. Of course you need to strap it on playing Lacrosse.

Having said that, I've never seen a pitcher with the strap on their helmet. I don't have a strap on my helmet and it doesn't move around when I play.

Not sure you can block out the helmet moving around. Either it does or it doesn't. When you put the helmet on, it shouldn't be loose. Your head should fit snugly inside. If that's the case, how would the helmet be able to move?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
He said he didn't want to argue. :D I move around more than the average pitcher. Could have something to do with it.

Every guy I've played with or against personally that said it was fine without the strap would proceed to have the mask fall down over his eyes as he tried to run down a foul pop. If it works for you, by all means, don't change it.

blakcherry329

He said he didn't want to argue. :D I move around more than the average pitcher. Could have something to do with it.

Every guy I've played with or against personally that said it was fine without the strap would proceed to have the mask fall down over his eyes as he tried to run down a foul pop. If it works for you, by all means, don't change it.

Sounds like a plan. We can agree to disagree. :biggthumpup:
I don't move too much when I pitch, i.e. covering the hole and stuff. Bad knees:mad: But it doesn't move when I'm setting up cutoffs or backing up 3rd or home or looking up for popups. I still think if you went down a 1/4 size you wouldn't have that issue.

As far as glasses under the helmet...not every pair of glasses will fit, truth be told. The arms can't be too thick. I wear tinted safety glasses. They fit nicely. I have to put the helmet on first, then the glasses.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Love my worth pitchers helmet. Has the tensioner and the strap (which i don't use) and sunglasses fit inside.