USA batter protection within the box

steve7100

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter hits ball 8-10 ft in the air and about 5 feet in front of home plate between P and 1b line.

Batter does not move from box but the catcher has a play and changed direction to not collide with catcher. In my judgement, the catcher would have caught it if the batter ran after contact. Is the batter protected in the box? I don’t believe so, but I can’t find the rule that says they are not.

I ruled the batter out for interference, but I’d like to make sure I was correct in my rules. Thanks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In this particular play, if everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing, then it's usually a no-call. However, if the batter just stands there and doesn't start running to first base, then I can support an interference call here.

The batter had one job. Just one job. Run.

steve7100

Addicted to Softballfans
In this particular play, if everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing, then it's usually a no-call. However, if the batter just stands there and doesn't start running to first base, then I can support an interference call here.

The batter had one job. Just one job. Run.
Thank you. They definitely had a good 2-3 seconds to start to run and they failed to do so.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Ok so let’s get this straight.
If I pop up and stay in the box, but the ball is above me to be catchable, the catcher can’t catch it as I am in the way.
I will be called out even if I am still in the box and I haven’t left the batters box?
I am with you on that I would be out, is there a rule on it we can refer to?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Anything in usssa rules?
USSSA Rule 8.4.J Batter-runner is out:
J. When he interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball. If this interference in the judgment of the umpire is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the base runner closest to home plate shall also be called out.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Thank you,
I have another question, was there ever a rule, that states the base hitter is protected as long as he is in the batters box in this situation or any other situation? This is what batter, that popped up and was called out said, as he umps. He kept insisting as long as you are in the batters box, you are protected and can’t be called on interference. I kept telling him I have never heard of a rule like that. The only rule I know of, which seems to supersede all rules is... if the offense interferes intentionally or un intentionally with a defense trying to catch the ball or to make a play, the offense will be out and then it’s a dead ball or something like that.

Don’t beat me up too bad on my question. Us newbie umps are learning even if it is a non sanctioned league as I like to be accurate.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thank you,
I have another question, was there ever a rule, that states the base hitter is protected as long as he is in the batters box in this situation or any other situation? This is what batter, that popped up and was called out said, as he umps. He kept insisting as long as you are in the batters box, you are protected and can’t be called on interference. I kept telling him I have never heard of a rule like that. The only rule I know of, which seems to supersede all rules is... if the offense interferes intentionally or un intentionally with a defense trying to catch the ball or to make a play, the offense will be out and then it’s a dead ball or something like that.

Don’t beat me up too bad on my question. Us newbie umps are learning even if it is a non sanctioned league as I like to be accurate.

Nothing worse than having an umpire playing in a game you’re calling.

There are some protections for a batter in the batter’s box when a runner is stealing a base other than home plate, but not on a batted ball.

He needs to attend a few more clinics.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I wonder if he is confusing the situation with the batter's protection from being called out for being hit by a fair batted ball if they are still in the box.