ASA USA National School

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Announced this week that USA is having a National Umpire School about an hour from me in February. Is it worth the $315 to attend the three days? I'm unsure if I'll even be able to work any USA tournaments next year since the only one I know I would is looking like it will be the same weekend as a Conference USSSA tournament I already committed to.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'd never tell an umpire not to go to a clinic where they can better themselves. However, $315?! They had better put on a REALLY good show for that.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a National Umpire School, at least according to USA of WI. Looks like a reception Fri, instructions Saturday during the day, dinner Saturday night, instruction Sunday. And apparently I'd have to buy a new ball bag, all equipment required to have USA logo on it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Ahhhh... There's the difference. They've set up accommodations.

In that case, it might be worth it. Still a bit high, considering where it's at - there ain't **** there except the college.

On a related note, if you like good theatre, Point has a nationally-respected theatre program there. Catch a show. It'd be worth it. Dunno, just tossing it out there.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I went in my 2nd year umpiring. A lot of it was admittedly over my head but I learned valuable context and skills at the clinic. The cost seems high until you add that it includes two nights in the hotel. I think I got the 89 a night group rate when I went, so all together, it was probably near the same cost.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm waiting until the Conference USSSA schedule comes out in a couple weeks. If Minneapolis is the same weekend as WI State, I don't think I'll do the school. I would also have to pay my own sanction, which is usually paid for by my city, and I would have no USA tournaments on my schedule this year.