ASA USA Senior Softball

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
R1 on 3rd base, R2 on 2nd base with no outs. Batted ball to F5. R1 advances to but does not cross commitment line. As F5 moves to tag R1, R1 steps one foot across the commitment line. My questions are these:

1. Once one foot is across the commitment line is R1 now committed to home? When is the runner committed?

2. If he is committed to home by this act and is tagged, does the ball become dead?

I know if is tagged once he has passed the commitment line he is not out. I also know that if he has passed the commitment line F5 needs only to throw to the catcher who can step on the plate (not the scoring plate) to record the out.

ureout

The Veteran
R1 on 3rd base, R2 on 2nd base with no outs. Batted ball to F5. R1 advances to but does not cross commitment line. As F5 moves to tag R1, R1 steps one foot across the commitment line. My questions are these:

1. Once one foot is across the commitment line is R1 now committed to home? When is the runner committed?

2. If he is committed to home by this act and is tagged, does the ball become dead?

I know if is tagged once he has passed the commitment line he is not out. I also know that if he has passed the commitment line F5 needs only to throw to the catcher who can step on the plate (not the scoring plate) to record the out.

in SSUSA 1) once the runner steps down on or over the CL he is committed to go home if he tries to return to 3rd and recrosses the line he should be called out immediately

2) no it stays a live ball and the runner no longer has to touch the scoring plate/line to score

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
in SSUSA 1) once the runner steps down on or over the CL he is committed to go home if he tries to return to 3rd and recrosses the line he should be called out immediately
This is correct.
2) no it stays a live ball and the runner no longer has to touch the scoring plate/line to score
This is not correct, even in SSUSA.

It stays a live ball, and the runner can not be called out. Basically, they are awarded home plate, and barring an act of interference, can't be called out.

They still have to touch the scoring plate.

lb16

the natural
This is correct.

It stays a live ball, and the runner can not be called out. Basically, they are awarded home plate, and barring an act of interference, can't be called out.

All replies correct except touching of the plate response. Once fielder tags runner past commit line runner is immediately called safe and does not have to touch scoring plate or cross scoring line!

ureout

The Veteran
This is correct.

NCASA.. here is the SSUSA r
8.8 • COMMITMENT LINE
A commitment line thirty feet from the scoring line or scoring plate will be used.
Once a runner's foot touches the ground on or past this line, the runner is
committed to advancing to the scoring line or scoring plate and may no longer
be tagged out. EFFECT: Tag of the runner by a defensive player will not be
allowed. The runner will be called safe, the ball remains live and the runner is
not required to touch the scoring plate or cross the scoring line.
NOTE: If a
runner re-crosses the commitment line for any reason in an attempt to return to
third base, he will be declared out and the ball remains live.
ule...

ureout

The Veteran
That's just dumb.

lol... why because you were wrong.. the reasoning is because once the runner is tagged after passing the CL the umpire should give a safe call .. so if the runner is called safe why would he then have to proceed to the scoring plate/line ?

ureout

The Veteran
Of course, it is just as many of the senior rule seem to be :)

lol.. yet these other assn.'s still seem to be doing very well.. there is a reason why these assn.'s were started and it was because not everyone likes to play by USA/ASA rules .. the OP was asked and answered and I don't remember anywhere in the post where it asked what everyone thought of the rule... there are a few including you that always seem to slam other organizations, especially U-TRIP .. get over it if you don't like there rules then don't get involved in answering a question :):)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So a question was asked you replied incorrectly and then when the correct rule is sighted your response is "that's just dumb" got it!
Because it is dumb.

Run it out. Just because I call you safe in one spot doesn't mean you should stop running to the base you're heading towards.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
lol.. yet these other assn.'s still seem to be doing very well.. there is a reason why these assn.'s were started and it was because not everyone likes to play by USA/ASA rules .. the OP was asked and answered and I don't remember anywhere in the post where it asked what everyone thought of the rule... there are a few including you that always seem to slam other organizations, especially U-TRIP .. get over it if you don't like there rules then don't get involved in answering a question :):)

It is not the association, it is the rules.

ureout

The Veteran
NCASA.. what would be the purpose of him running it out?? the umpire has already called the runner safe at home for being tagged after the C/L, it would serve no purpose for him to continue ... and I think doing so would be DUMB

Irish.. you are correct... it's the rules... that is why these other assn's were started in the 1st place... they didn't like ASA rules they thought they were stupid...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
NCASA.. what would be the purpose of him running it out?? the umpire has already called the runner safe at home for being tagged after the C/L, it would serve no purpose for him to continue ... and I think doing so would be DUMB

Irish.. you are correct... it's the rules... that is why these other assn's were started in the 1st place... they didn't like ASA rules they thought they were stupid...

Instead, adjust the rules to accommodate short-comings :)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Because why should we treat home plate any differently than any other base? The defense committed an infraction that results in them not being able to put out the runner, but the runner should still be required run it out.

We're talking 20 feet here, guys. If he's made it that far without a courtesy runner, he can run the last 20 feet.

ureout

The Veteran
Because why should we treat home plate any differently than any other base? The defense committed an infraction that results in them not being able to put out the runner, but the runner should still be required run it out.

We're talking 20 feet here, guys. If he's made it that far without a courtesy runner, he can run the last 20 feet.

well actually it could be a 30' run if he was tagged just after crossing the line..;)

it's not logical for the runner to continue.. once he is tagged the umpire should immediately call the runner safe... therefore if the umpire has already declared the runner safe at home there no reason for him to continue...

EFFECT: Tag of the runner by a defensive player will not be allowed. The runner will be called safe, the ball remains live and the runner is not required to touch the scoring plate or cross the scoring line.

lb16

the natural

And I guess we should run all bases for HR's as well! One of those silly rule changes I am sure you don't complain about!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And I guess we should run all bases for HR's as well! One of those silly rule changes I am sure you don't complain about!
No, the really silly thing was when they added hit-and-sit to the slow pitch game, but excluded the seniors from the rule.

I mean, if you want to speed up the game, that's a good place to start, especially for the seniors!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
No, the really silly thing was when they added hit-and-sit to the slow pitch game, but excluded the seniors from the rule.

I mean, if you want to speed up the game, that's a good place to start, especially for the seniors!

The seniors excluded themselves just like in most other rule differences

lb16

the natural

Seniors do actually hit and sit!

ureout

The Veteran
Seniors do actually hit and sit!

lb16 is correct... lol SSUSA actually has a rule better that USA/ASA
SSUSA
NOTE: The batter may return directly to the dugout and all other runners may return directly to the dugout. EFFECT: The concept known as “hit and sit” is permitted.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
lb16 is correct... lol SSUSA actually has a rule better that USA/ASA
SSUSA
NOTE: The batter may return directly to the dugout and all other runners may return directly to the dugout. EFFECT: The concept known as “hit and sit” is permitted.

Same as ASA/USA has been since it's inception