USA Softball - Men's Slow Pitch

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Bases loaded with 1 out. Batter hits a smash line drive which hits the runner standing on 3rd base. Umpire rules fair batted ball and no interference on the runner. After ball hits the runner standing on 3rd base it deflects directly to the 3rd baseman who catches the ball. 3rd baseman seeing the runner on 1st base is 10' off the base, throws to the 1st baseman to double the runner off. Ball sails over the 1st baseman and over the fence into dead ball territory. How many outs do you have and where do you place the runners?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I'm not an ump but i would say 1 out runners advance from the 2nd and 3rd both score, guy on 1st gets 3rd.

I'd really like too know cause our umps are saying with a new rule change runners advance 2 bases on overthrown ball that goes outa play

watsonrg

A quick look through the book did not reveal the answer. However in my opinion the ball is dead after hitting the runner on third. Batter is awarded first base and all runners advance if forced.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
With no interference and runner on 3rd standing/touching the bag and ball kick back into fair territory, isn't that a live ball

Last edited:

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
In USA Softball, the rules state that a runner struck with a fair untouched batted ball while in contact with a base is NOT out. Unless he intentionally interferes with the batted ball. Since the ball is fair and there was no interference you next have to determine if the ball is live or dead. This is judged by the location of the nearest defender. If the nearest defender is beyond the base (in Slow Pitch this is almost always the case) then the ball is declared dead since the defender did not have an opportunity to make a play on the ball. You would then place the batter runner at 1st base. Any runner forced to move up by placing the batter/runner at 1st base would advance. And since the ball is dead upon striking the runner on 3rd base no other action can occur. So, in the end, you have a run scoring because the batter/runner is placed at 1st base and all runners move up one base.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Great scenario, I had to think about it a second to make sure I had it right. Anybody want to take a guess at what you'd have in this scenario in USSSA?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmmm...so we were just supposed to assume that the nearest fielder was behind the base? One of the key factors to making this call and we were supposed to...guess?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA has a different rule. In their game, when a runner is hit by a fair batted ball while in contact with the base the ball always remains live, no matter where the fielders are.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmmm...so we were just supposed to assume that the nearest fielder was behind the base? One of the key factors to making this call and we were supposed to...guess?

My assumption was that anyone familiar with Men's slow pitch would know that rarely do you find a 3rd baseman in front of or even with the base. My apologies for assuming.