Using Nets in games???

Hors3pills

The Rookie
A strange thing about the league I'm going to be playing in is that they use a BP net in front of the pitcher during games. I don't like this rule. I want to be able to field the ball. The rule is if it hits the net it is a dead ball. Also it is in the way if I need to cover first or backup third. And what about throws to the plate? That net is so inconvenient! What do you guys think?

Phillip

Addicted to Softballfans
That seems dumb, they're obviously worried about pitchers safety but if that's the case make them wear facemasks

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
A strange thing about the league I'm going to be playing in is that they use a BP net in front of the pitcher during games. I don't like this rule. I want to be able to field the ball. The rule is if it hits the net it is a dead ball. Also it is in the way if I need to cover first or backup third. And what about throws to the plate? That net is so inconvenient! What do you guys think?

We do it playing stadium ball........With guys trying to get balls out of stadiums, you see some guys hitting hard with no control.

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
Is it a dead ball out or a re pitch? Never played that way but like said above they must be worried about the pitchers safety.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Its a little inconvenient but I applaud your league for at least attempting to make the game safer.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Is it a dead ball out or a re pitch? Never played that way but like said above they must be worried about the pitchers safety.

We've played it two ways...........Hitting the net is an automatic out and then another where you played it out. One thing was the pitcher had to get behind the net when it was an automatic out. He could not stand to the side of it and field it...........That totally shut down the middle.

G Rat

Baller on a Budget
Sounds like you're playing at BLD. That's the only place I know of here that middle is a DBO. It's just for safety purposes and you should be fine backing up other positions. Several times I've been out there, there was no net but box rule was in effect.

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!
That seems dumb, they're obviously worried about pitchers safety but if that's the case make them wear facemasks

I don’t really agree with making pitcher wear extra equipment because we have so many limp nuts that feel the need to continually get the extra edge in the game. I like the idea of the net. Its not the pitchers fault that people use shaved bats so do penalize him. I for one don’t want to have to put a bunch of extra gear on in the middle of an Arizona summer. By adding the net maybe the hitters will get sick of it and finally realize to swing clean. Maybe not. But its the hitters that have decided to cheat. Penalize them, not the pitcher.

joshnewman05

Addicted to Softballfans
One of our church leagues around here also uses a net.. If a batter hits the net its an automatic out.. and if someone is throwing the ball home or something and hits it... its a dead ball.

davidhasselmash

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow what is softball coming to!? Somethings gotta change and the people cheating have gotta stop this schit! But the net is a very safe idea and understand totally.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I will repeat what I have said since the first time I heard of this absurdity......it is the dumbest thing I ever heard of!!!

It does absolutely nothing to clean the game up, and as a matter of opinion, I'd say it does the exact opposite. Now there is no fear to swing a shaved bat as there are no reprocussions.

I can't wait until someone runs into that thing!!! I hope they get injured and are able to sue the LD. I can see several situations where a throw coming in from the OF is high and the P or 1B runs into it. Also, what about a slow roller that the 3B has to come in on, now he has to throw over an obstacle. Maybe he'll hit it and it'll riccochet into the P's unprotected face. But I can only dream....

Additionally it basically forces the pitcher to throw from one part of the mound and it does nothing to help pitchers learn to ready themselves and field their position. You now can put one of your worst guys on the mound so long as he doesn't walk every other batter.

Games become batting practice with fielding (attempts). Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
It's not just cheaters and meatheads. I pitch in a "D" co-ed rec league. And I suspect that 95% of the middle shots I've faced so far are nothing more than people just swinging to get a hit.

In two games, I bet I've had 15 balls hit back up the middle. One liner I caught inches from my face. Most are grounders. It's a much a lock of skill and control as it is cheaters and meatheads, just depends on what level you're playing I guess.

rat bastard

played in some unsanctioned events that used the net, not a bad idea but does take some of the fun out of pitching as well as hitting, but if it helps ensure everyone makes it home safe and able to go to work the next day, then it's GTG, it's only softball

tnichols

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah - I play in the league with joshnewman on the first page - what our league did was get all the pitchers and let them vote on it. Which actually went pretty unanimous - but what they did was make the screen pretty small - no big boned pitchers allowed. I'm guessing but I think the screen is like 3' x 6.5', but there is no rule as to whether a pitch has to stand behind it - if they want they can stand to one side of it and field which would shut down the middle - but so far only one has done that - and really he shouldn't have - LOL...

joshnewman05

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah - I play in the league with joshnewman on the first page - what our league did was get all the pitchers and let them vote on it. Which actually went pretty unanimous - but what they did was make the screen pretty small - no big boned pitchers allowed. I'm guessing but I think the screen is like 3' x 6.5', but there is no rule as to whether a pitch has to stand behind it - if they want they can stand to one side of it and field which would shut down the middle - but so far only one has done that - and really he shouldn't have - LOL...

I know Roger gets behind the screen everytime he pitches.. The only person I have saw so far that still trys to field the ball is Paul.. From Stone. I dont know how many plays he made on us last night!

Darkside

The Veteran
Our league does this also, first time you hit the net it's a strike. If you hit the net again in the same at bat, automatic out.

tnichols

Addicted to Softballfans
Josh - I was talking about the pitcher from cross point - he needs that net but tries to come out from behind it. He reminds me of those pitchers that used to charge the mound after the pitch then finally got dinged one time and woke up the next day in the hospital...

joshnewman05

Addicted to Softballfans
Josh - I was talking about the pitcher from cross point - he needs that net but tries to come out from behind it. He reminds me of those pitchers that used to charge the mound after the pitch then finally got dinged one time and woke up the next day in the hospital...

I completely forgot about him.. he definately needs to learn to get behind it.. Last year.. I think we hit him 4 times in 1 game!! Then the ump started yelling at him.. "GET BEHIND THE NET NEXT TIME" haha

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
At least they aren't using one of those huge baseball "L" nets!

I kinda like the idea of a 3x6' screen. It's better than nothing. And wouldn't interfere with throws too much.

Nat X

Dios mio, man.
We should really reevaluate what technology has done to the game. I would rather play with wood bats then with a net.

-Six-

Weiner
im glad we dont have to have nets here. I would be mad on a throw to the plate that hits the net and is a dead ball runners get the base. yuck.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
Maybe the pitcher can just wear a riot shield, and throw it down after the ball is in play?

supply-police-anti-riot-shield.jpg

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
The net will do one thing for sure... It will give pitchers the ability to do what outfielders do... Talk a lot of trash because they don't have to worry about being hit at... :D

Now I know a few are going to read that statement and think it is idiotic.. but think about it. How many middle wars have started simply by somebody talking a little smack talk??

This whole middle is the biggest hole on the field is nonsense. Back in the day people didn't hit middle because there was a pitcher there with a glove. The pitcher wasn't overlooked and all that was seen there was a massive hole between the SS and the 2B. Fast forward and now you have hotter bats and altered bats. Players with massive very SENSITIVE ego's who's feeling get hurt very easily.

-Six-

Weiner
Ive yet to see a middle war from s**t talk. Ive only seen it from 5 or 6 right back at the pitcher in a row. Then our team starts doing it too.