USPS

blakcherry329

I haven't shipped a bat in over a year. I sold a bat on here and went to mail it out. $25 to Virginia from NYC. There was a $15 charge for "nonstandard length". Basically anything over 30". Is this new? I don't remember paying over $10-15 per bat.
Seems like a C-O-N-SPIRACY to pick a number UNDER 36" as the cutoff. Things that make you go, HMMMMM:mad::mad::mad:

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone posted about this recently. One guy had the same experience as you....someone else didn't. Do they still use the triangle boxes?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, if you go to USPS site as I did after the post here on sfb last week or week before, to get shipping rates it does add $15 (surcharge) SMH

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
what flat rate box does usps have that gets this surcharge? the triangle boxes are not flat rate.
Sounds like the surcharge that applies to anything over 30" long also conveniently applies to flat rate packages now?!?

chile

Bad Ape
Sounds like the surcharge that applies to anything over 30" long also conveniently applies to flat rate packages now?!?

i assure you that it doesn't...there are no flat rate boxes that go near 30"...and if a standard, large, medium or small flat rate box is incurring this charge, someone's doing something wrong.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got a bat that didn't have it on the receipt. I have no idea what's going on at USPS, but I've only been using ups since dejoii took over and delayed everything possible in 2020. I was receiving letters at my job two months after they were mailed from the next state over.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost seems like FedEx has lowered their prices since the USPS change. That's what I've been using as well.
It would be a good decision to steal market share. When the first surcharge was announced, I saw that ups and FedEx were looking into their own. Glad to see they changed their minds.

loxx0050

my problem with fedex is they can't deliver on time....or they just lose it and tell me that my package going from socal to norcal was affected by the inclement weather...on the east coast
I have issues with FedEx Freight setting up shipments for work the last couple of years. They won't ever show up the day you schedule a pickup. Sometimes finally showing up around 2 days later. They actually showed up the next day on one improtant shipment where our customer cancelled it and went with a different freight company because they didn't show....even though I warned our customer to not use FedEx.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
my problem with fedex is they can't deliver on time....or they just lose it and tell me that my package going from socal to norcal was affected by the inclement weather...on the east coast
My last one was delayed because delayed. Thanks for that level of detail FedEx. Still better than USPS where you can't usually track it until it's delivered.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago. Sold a bat for $40 bucks shipped...considering I found the bat at Goodwill for $6, I basically broke even. Oh well...
My local batting cage has a riches superior and 3 ddw for cage use. I'm thinking about going in and offering to buy them. Lol

defos

Here's a link explaining the USPS surcharges, which actually start with anything over 22". Not sure when the article was written. I must have just beaten the surcharge start date with the 2 bats I shipped. https://bestlifeonline.com/usps-new-shipping-fees-news/

A friend and former teammate is a supervisor at FedEx, and he said several years ago that FedEx tracking info is pretty much meaningless.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Is there a reliable source for bat boxes other than the triangle boxes from USPS? I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx won't accept the triangle boxes, which is all I happen to have laying around since I've used USPS exclusively for the last 12 years or so.