USSSA bat for cold weather

LilMailman

Hey guys, Mailman here, wanted to get your opinions on a good bat for cold weather. I've heard you aren't supposed to use a composite when it's below 60F, and up north that might be every evening until June! LOL!

Need something that will work in the sleet and snow. What do you guys use when it's cold out?

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had good luck with pre-Fireflex Easton and Mizuno Blackouts are tanks as well. I always end up playing in something early season (Feb-early March) that ends up being in the 20s or 30s and those are what come with me....I had a Blackout with an easy 5K swings in every kind of weather and every kind of ball before it finally broke.

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
Get u an old demarini CL22 or newbreed. Or a LS Sonic... Can find em all cheap and they hold up in the cold.

D-ROCK13

Any IMX composite Easton would be perfect, and I've also had great luck with tct composite Eastons in cold weather. Keep Combats or Miken/Worths for above 60 for sure

bird25

34/30 Club #25
When we played in 30 degree weather we used whatever had a warranty

I second the blackout, IMX Easton and Sonic+ recommendations

LilMailman

WOW you guys know a lot about bats. I went away for a weekend and there's a bunch of good answers here.
I'll check out those Mizunos since I can see a few in my area for cheap.

I had previously heard that composite bats don't perform as well in the cold (not just that they break) and using an alloy bat might be a better option. Something like a Demarini Steel. Good idea, or should I stick with a Mizuno?

D-ROCK13

Any decent composite will out hit alloy even in the cold. The black and green mizuno mamba is a great sleeper bat you can get cheap, and they have excellent durability as well. Demarini steels are great performers as far as metal goes, but they aren't very durable especially in cold weather

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I had previously heard that composite bats don't perform as well in the cold (not just that they break) and using an alloy bat might be a better option. Something like a Demarini Steel. Good idea, or should I stick with a Mizuno?

The temperature affects the hardness of the ball, not the bat. I've never seen a composite bat that didn't perform BETTER in the cold when the balls get harder. But the harder balls negatively affect durability. Composites will crack easier and alloys will dent easier, period.

Never ever hit a Demarini Steel in the cold or with harder balls, they are fragile to begin with.

Get a Mizuno, they're tanks. If you like a little endload get a Blackout. The Mambas are balanced and the No Doubt is super balanced and swings lighter than sticker. And as already stated, any pre-2017 Easton makes a perfect cold weather bat.