USSSA rule changes

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Just looked through the 2018 rulebook and only see one major change that jumps out at me. Pitchers are now allowed to use any glove they'd like along with Catchers and First Basemen.

Inning ending and OE for homeruns in Women's and Mixed E, previously was just inning ending.

Over the limit homeruns in Women's C and D is now inning ending, previously was just an out.

Two warm up pitches down from three.

OE players can now coach bases

A ball is awarded to the batter if the catcher throws the ball to anyone except the pitcher during a dead ball.

The UIC can change umpires during a game. This is begging to be abused by a few teams.

No cameras on the field, including umpires.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just looked through the 2018 rulebook and only see one major change that jumps out at me. Pitchers are now allowed to use any glove they'd like along with Catchers and First Basemen.

Inning ending and OE for homeruns in Women's and Mixed E, previously was just inning ending.

Over the limit homeruns in Women's C and D is now inning ending, previously was just an out.

Two warm up pitches down from three.

OE players can now coach bases

A ball is awarded to the batter if the catcher throws the ball to anyone except the pitcher during a dead ball.

The UIC can change umpires during a game. This is begging to be abused by a few teams.

No cameras on the field, including umpires.
I hope this doesn't include accidentally throwing it to the middle man.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the situation and how "accidental" the umpire thinks it is. This is really to try to save some time between innings, it's been the rule in Conference for years. Cut 15 seconds off every half inning, more if it's a typical league game. Less complaining I have to hear about when I call time in the 5th or 6th.

Batalot

Damn, I"ve been out of this sport a long time, last time I guess I played, it seemed like we just played softballs... hit as many homers as you can.. unreal all the rules.. different size balls, bat restrictions, too many homers..

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
No cameras on the field. Does that mean the players in the game (e.g. GoPro) or does that include live streaming of games from the dugout or backstop too?

jlee

No cameras on the field. Does that mean the players in the game (e.g. GoPro) or does that include live streaming of games from the dugout or backstop too?
I think they really need to define what this means. I like to record our games using a GoPro. I place it inside the fence rather than out, cause I hate the fence being in the view. I've never had issues with it nor have I had any complaints....

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
To stream a game from outside the backstop was allowed at Worlds as long as it was on a personal feed and not a commercial one. In order to stream the State Championships the state association had to license the rights to it from national. The only cameras allowed inside the fence, still or video, are those assigned to record by the Tournament leadership. All this rule does is close the loophole that an umpire wasn't included in the description before.