Vinci TJ1952 or BR4600

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
Both open back with mesh. Which would you choose for outfield and reason(s) why one over the other?

MaverickAH

BR4600:
A 22/PC Series glove.
14" size
5.5 oz. steer hide
Modified open back
Black w/ Black mesh

TJ1952:
A Limited Series glove.
13.5" size
5.5 oz. premium kip leather
Open back
White w/ Gray mesh

A curious comparison request as they are from 2 different series & 2 different colors. I will say that if you're considering a mesh back glove as a way to save weight, it's not going to happen with the way Vinci makes its mesh backed gloves.

Which glove to go with is purely a matter of personal preference & maybe a couple of other factors. If you have price, size or color constraints, the BR4600 is a solid choice. The TJ1952 has the better leather & I do have a fondness for the white kip leather that Vinci uses & the way it breaks in. The only potential negative is that it is white so how it looks over time can be user/field dependent. Playing on all turf field will help maintain its visual appearance. The BR4600 will break in a little quicker. The TJ1952 will be a little more durable.

My personal preference would be the TJ1952.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
Very interesting that you mention the weight savings using the mesh back will not save weight which is contradicting to what the manufacturer indicates.....

Would you suspect that the tj 13.5" kip glove would weigh less than that of the 14" 4600 steerhide?

Last question, does the kip leather "dry out" faster than steerhide, thus requiring to be conditioned more often? Is this also dependent on the color of the leather used?

ShortYellowBus

Here’s a TJ1952-M that I picked up used from these boards; thank you @wcoastsoftball.

I’m a fan of the Tj1952’s and this red mesh one went through a relace and clean. As far as age, I don’t know but it looked a couple years old when I got it. These are the after pics.

I believe @davisrelacing did some work on beefing up the pinky and thumb.

If you’re serious about the Vinci, get it. They’re fantastic.

A513F9C2-1D9C-4F1E-828E-B980995D00E0.jpeg E9656DD6-5597-4D93-8702-69FA13C825A3.jpeg 3E1A7612-F8B7-415E-A6F8-35C83E7FD3E5.jpeg C1EE62C6-5C4B-49D3-80E2-A7B9976245A9.jpeg

Thanks @kj13 for the relacing work!

MaverickAH

Very interesting that you mention the weight savings using the mesh back will not save weight which is contradicting to what the manufacturer indicates.....

Would you suspect that the tj 13.5" kip glove would weigh less than that of the 14" 4600 steerhide?

Last question, does the kip leather "dry out" faster than steerhide, thus requiring to be conditioned more often? Is this also dependent on the color of the leather used?

The weight savings of a mesh backed Vinci over an all leather version is no more than an ounce or so. It really is negligible. The reason is that Vinci still uses a leather back but replaces one layer with a very robust kelvar mesh.

I don't think that there would be much of a weight difference between the kip & the steerhide. The build on the kip glove will be more substantial than on the steerhide so any weight savings from using kip will be erased.

Kip leather is very tightly grained. It will not dry out faster. The kip leather that Vinci uses on their Limited Series is pretty dry & stiff to begin with although the white kip tends to be a little easier to break in than the black kip. That's not a bad thing though.

tbarb

Interesting …. I looked at their gloves among many and talked to Wayne at Vinci. He sent me a BR4600 and a TJ 1952 in a single box with the plan that I would try them on and send one back in a couple weeks. This was 4 or 5 years ago. I decided on the TJ1952. For me an infield player the BR4600 seemed too big - it looked and felt like it would play much bigger and I was concerned about how it would play once it was broken in and a bit floppy with seemingly long fingers. I did end up liking the TJ1952 on the field, however while the kip leather broke in ok it went floppy on me after a full season. Someone else may not have been put off as much as I like a very stiff glove when it comes to the thumb and pinky as well as firm fingers. I talked to Pete Vinci once and he recommended I should look at the BOB as well. I recall the glove but don't recall the full model number if it was long than just BOB.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
however while the kip leather broke in ok it went floppy on me after a full season. Someone else may not have been put off as much as I like a very stiff glove when it comes to the thumb and pinky as well as firm.

How many games would you suspect you played in that season?

Last edited:

tbarb

With practices perhaps an equivalent of something in the mid 80's to 90's back then. However, note I like a very stiff glove - thumb and pinky especially - when I compare my glove to the gloves others play with. I would say the glove from an otherwise durability standpoint outside of that was fine so it certainly could work for most. And the TJ1952 was in the first few gloves I tried as I was getting back into the sport then and were over conditioned (for me) during break in and once I did that they just kept on softening well past the point I was looking for. Now I condition with only Lexol, and once, and in pocket area only. I thought later with this issue I should have also tried the BMB-OB (sorry I recalled it incorrectly as BOB in my earlier post) a bit shorter in the heavier kip then, but I found a Rawlings smaller pattern I liked as I settled into the IF. Good luck - what I hated most was buying gloves without seeing or handling them just from pictures. Vinci might still send someone a few to try and let you could return them.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
fwiw, in case there may be others that would like to know, in weighing an open back tj1952, it weighs in at 25.25 oz.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have relaced both models in the past (been a while though). The actual sizes may not be THAT different, but they feel different. If what you are looking for is a glove like a Rawlings Pro303, but slightly bigger, then get the TJ1952. However, if you are currently using a big-ass $70 softball glove from Walmart and you want an upgrade but like a huge basket of a glove, then get the BR4600. Every time I work on a TJ, I think, "man, this is a great pattern."

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
Assuming not in the same class as both gloves mentioned in this thread, do you have any information on the 13.5 Fortus Plus?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Assuming not in the same class as both gloves mentioned in this thread, do you have any information on the 13.5 Fortus Plus?
I do not. I just tried to check it out on the Vinci site, but I couldn't get to it (down on their end?). I'll check later.